“The best meal we have eaten”

Roman Camp Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 45 Restaurants in Callander
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had dinner at this hotel on Easter Friday - 2014.
Simply perfect food - special occasion dining in a wonderful hotel which feels like your upmarket wealthy grandma's/ family country home, which you love to stay at, not perfect but wonderful. How this place is not full of foodies I have no idea, it should be chock-a-block. i live in Australia but love Scotland - next time my trip is going to have to go to Callander to stay and eat here.

Back to the food, 9.9 out of 10 (and that is only because i just don't think it is possible to give 10!)
We ordered dinner while in the lounge, had a glass of wine, then we were served some Hors d'oeuvre - beautiful (at this time we just thought we were in for an expensive, but OK meal in a quiet nice old hotel) - after eating these we were very impressed.
Then we were called in for dinner. The entree - perfection, the main course i had veal with sweetbreads and my husband had duck - again perfect. Sadly we were too full for desert and had a coffee and petit fours back in the lounge. Again our definition of perfection.

- When we walked into the hotel it was very quiet - (normally we would not stay for dinner if quiet, as to us it is a sign it is not that good if we do not know a place) luckily there was something we loved about the place. They had a wedding the following evening so I think the hotel was booked for the rest of the weekend but Friday had ended up very quiet. - We were questioning the staff as it just did not make sense how wonderful the food was and why there where only a couple of table dinning. (The chef has been there 16 years - good he is going to be there next time I go.)

My husband and i are very happy to invest in a beautiful meal and one of our hobbies, we were not expecting to eat one of our best meals ever in Callander. A big call. We found the hotel by walking around the town and thinking we would not find anything decent to eat this night - this town is very pretty and touristy and the food offerings seemed in keeping with this - edible but not much else!
We looked rather scruffy as well - not planning on fine dining - much to their credit, the staff did not blink an eye.
We stayed at another hotel in Callander - (next time we will stay at Roman Camp Hotel, we just had not found it yet)

The price - not cheap, but it should not be. This was wonderful and worth every penny - how much was it? i cannot remember and it does not matter as it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten (and this is not said lightly) - definitely the best value for money. (the only reason i say this is other people mentioned it was expensive and I feel the need to defend it)

There are newer reviews for Roman Camp Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Amazing five course anniversary meal at Roman Camp Callander. Lovely dinning area, fantastic service and amazing food. Especially enjoyed the Roe Deer and Scallops. Soup and dessert was excellent also. Bread and coffee also very good. Did not enjoy the Brie Panacota amuse bush (wrong spelling). Only complaint is that it is too expensive when you add two bottles of wine to the set meal of 55 pounds per head! Once a year treat that I would highly recommend. Expect a Michelin Star one day...

Reviewed April 28, 2014

excellent venue... the meal was superb the service was excellent the staff very polite and helpful. Everything was to full satisfaction! compliments to all!!!!!

1  Thank Shelagh p
Reviewed March 28, 2014

A wonderful setting, fantastic old world charm with all modern comforts. Staff are friendly and attentive, service is excellent. We were having dinner for a family celebration. It was a perfect choice.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had high expectations of this restaurant after reading other reviews but unfortunately was left feeling slightly underwhelmed and disappointed by my meal here.

My partner and I treated ourselves to dinner here on Valentine's night. Drinks and canapes were served in a cosy snug with a roaring fire on what was a miserable Scottish night. The wine list is extensive (perhaps a little too much choice) and was fairly expensive. The hotel has a beautiful setting down by the river and the service was great. Sadly we were both felt the food was lacking in taste, despite the fantastic array of fresh produce which is available locally and the restaurant was lacking in atmosphere.

In an area with a great selection of restaurants we won't be rushin back to Roman Camp.