“Superb hotel”
Review of Roman Camp Hotel

Roman Camp Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Reviewed December 13, 2008

We stayed for two nights in a pet-friendly garden suite and found the whole experience was well above our expectations despite the fairly hefty prices. We enjoyed superb fresh food from a menu which actually appears to have been thought out rather than slapped together for convenience. Service was friendly and informal but always professional - therefore perfect as far as I'm concerned. Our room was large but a bit dark, lighting could be improved as could the furnishings which were comfortable but not up to the standard of the lovely library or drawing room. Our bathroom was exceptionally spacious and well-equipped: underfloor heating, large modern jacuzzi, excellent large shower.
This hotel is pet friendly, always a good thing, and the attractive grounds include informal woodland areas where dogs can play without upsetting those inevitable guests who don't like animals.

My only annoyance was the lack of wifi - there was a poor signal in the reception area but it kept failing so I ended up standing around Callander stealing connections from local houses.

All in all, I'd plan my next trip to Scotland to include a stop at this hotel if possible - good ambience, comfortable, excellent food but not pretentious.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Roman Camp Hotel

Reviewed September 16, 2008

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. We searched throughout Scotland for a location and from the minute we went to the Roman Camps we knew we wanted to get married there. A year before our wedding we stayed at the Roman Camp a lovely peaceful location, the food was excellent and the staff extremely accommodating - this reassured us about what to expect on our wedding day.
On our wedding day, the hotel exceeded expectation, I was greeted by Shona, the wonderful hotel manager and taken to my room where nothing was too much trouble. The guests were extremely well looked after throughout the day, the food was amazing, drinks were constantly refilled and the location just perfect. We could not have asked for anything more. Since our wedding we have had loads of letters complimenting our choice in our wedding location, with some pointing out that the wedding meal was the best they had ever tasted.
I do not understand why this is classed as a three star hotel, I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and resorts over the years and none even come close to the Roman Camp.
Finally I would just like to mention that Shona, the manager at the Roman Camp - wonderful and we could not have had such a successful day without her. From the minute we booked the venue, Shona was in touch throughout and nothing was ever too much trouble. The Roman Camp Hotel is Scotland's best kept secret and with Shona as manager, you are guaranteed a wonderful wedding or relaxing break!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I have just came across this website on reviews of the Roman Camp and thought I would add our experience staying at the hotel.

We chose to get married at The Roman Camp on the 6th August 2007 as we wanted our day to be intimate, cosy and with a small party they could all stay over night. Our guests could not fault the hotel for their service/rooms/food and views of the gardens and the river teith.

My husband and I are going back for our anniversary in a few weeks as it holds a special place in our hearts. The hotel is meant to look from the period it was built inside and out and not to be modernised however, the bathrooms were all refurbished and superb with spa baths and large walk in showers which went down a treat!!

It is a credit to it's owners and Shona was fantastic and very helpful throughout our day.

Angela & Craig MacMillan

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank MACmCLAN
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We stayed at Roman Camps for three nights and enjoyed every minute. Tired of corporate chains we decided to go for something different, and had heard good reviews.

Everything was different, the bedrooms are all individual and perhaps slightly oldfashioned, but have character, and importantly, the plumbing and heating are up to date.There was complimentary fruit and sherry in our room.

All public rooms are delightful, with soft sofas, inviting fires and a lovely conservatory, completely in character with the house.

The chef is top notch & the food was amazing, I would be prepared to stay again just for the food! Not to mention the friendly and helpful staff

An added bonus were the beautiful grounds where you can stroll among rhodedendrons & through bluebell woods down to the clear river Teith .It is very peaceful.

Alltogether, a lovely experience and one we hope to repeat.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank CambridgeArtist
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I know this is a little belated - 1yr 4months- but I just wanted to say what a wonderful wedding we had at Roman Camp on 5 September 2006.
We had a very small wedding - the two of us and two witnesses - and we were looking for something very intimate.
We knew when we first visited that this was the venue for us. It had old world charm and a cosy atmosphere.
The staff were so helpful and friendly and we were looked after both leading up to the wedding and on the day.
The rooms may not be to everyone's taste if you're looking for something modern, but we picked the room we wanted and couldn't fault it. (The sherry is too tempting but helped calm my nerves).
We were married in the library in front of the open fire. The meal was superb and we had exclusive use of the library in the evening where we could relax with a drink and listen to music by the roaring fire.
The only down side was the weather - it rained all day so we couldn't make use of the lovely gardens - but the rooms inside make such a lovely setting.
Attached are a few photos of the day.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We stayed here in suite as part of a gift kindly given to us by friends. It was much anticipated as we had heard good things about it. At £285 per room for DBB we expected it to be very good.

The building and public rooms are full of old world charm and there was roaring fires almost around every corner. The staff on arrival were very helpful and friendly. We were staying in a suite with a seperate sitting room. We would choose character over pristine minimalism every time, but there were bits about the room that was just plain tired/ tacky. The newly fitted bathroom had sealant missing all along the bath, the 'fancy' tap barely reached the wash hand basin and the shower head was faulty/ loose.

We asked that we could have dinner at 8 o'clock and went down early at 7.30 to have pre- dinner drinks/ canapes and to soak up the atmosphere of the lovely Drawing Room. With G and T in hand I perused the wine list, only to be interupted at 7.43 by a waitress coming and lifting our drinks and telling us that dinner was ready. I swallowed the last of my canape and stated that we would like to finish our drinks. The limited English that the waitress had mumbled something about 'no worry I carry through'. Which missed the point completely.

The Dining Room perhaps lacks a bit atmosphere but was still very relaxing, and the service was very attentive. The food was good if a little fussy for my taste, as I believe we sampled most forms of fish/ meat and vegatation during the 6 courses. We felt that we were being rushed over dinner and twice insisted a 10 minute break between courses. Breakfast was just average not enhanced by paper napkins.

The setting and ambience of this place are terrific, and I would say opverall the service was good. Including wine, one evening cost approx. £340, therefore the attention to detail and standards in certain areas need to be increased greatly. At present levels it does not equate to good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiltedwarrior
Reviewed October 28, 2007

We spent 2 nights here last December and had a tremendous time-we thought it was one of the nicest hotels we had stayed in. We had an upgraded room as we had a midweek offer and found room, comfort and food very good. Therefore when we returned this month we were hugely disappointed. Our bed was lumpy, squeaky and soft and a quick look at the mattress confirmed that it was ancient and sagging. When we mentioned this fact on departure , we were dismissed with"some of our guests choose that room in preference to any other" . An apology or an acknowledgement of our slepless night would have helped. Then we might have forgiven the forgotten wine order(brought eventually and very cold) and the comedy of errors at breakfast. Sadly we won't be returning for our anniversary as we had intended.

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank BackOBennachie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#3 of 6 in Callander
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Roman Camp Hotel? Share your experiences!