“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roman Camp Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Roman Camp Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Celebrated my mum's 90th with afternoon tea and lots of champagne, in the library, in front of a log fire. Callum was a perfect host - so congenial and all our needs were so well catered for - making it a family day to remember. I stayed in the Bear's Den room which has a huge bed, gr8 jacuzzi bath, fresh fruit and the list goes on........ There is a beautiful view of the garden with a door opening out on to it. Breakfast was served by Fiona and was fantastic - a large choice of food which was cooked to perfection by one of the chefs. I highly recommend this hotel - as a country retreat - it has such a peaceful and friendly
atmosphere, an attentive staff and it's situation by the river is idyllic. My family and I will definitely be returning.

Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there for valentines weekend . We splashed out and stayed in "Barrie" suite. From start to finish it was wonderful. We didn't have dinner in hotel as we had other plans but the breakfast were lovely and fresh.
Can't wait to return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rosie S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

There will not be enough superlatives to review this sumptuous hotel.
From start to finish it was simply divine.
we were greeted with a glass of champagne and a wonderful afternoon tea. Then shown to the magnificent lady Esher room, which had an Edwardian splendour, spacious yet cosy feel.
The staff could not have been nice, every single one of them but the winner has got to be the delightful, helpful, knowledgeable and cheerful Callum. This lovely young man could hold his head up among the crowned heads of Europe !
The service was instantaneous. The décor superb, the huge roaring fires lit in every room, and the over mantle flowers a wonder to behold.
The dining room was beautiful, and the tasting menu tailored to suit our every need. Roaring log fire as well.
Breakfast was beautifully cooked and the poached eggs like clouds.
In case people think I am related to a member of staff, or on the pay roll, the only criticism I can find to put, just to prove I am a real person !! is the water in the bathroom is so hot it needs a government health warning !! But the piping hot water was wonderful.
This place will exceed your every dream, and the only place we can compare it to is reids in Madeira.
Well done Roman camp, you are a shining star in a wilderness of chain hotels and sameness.
You are simply a delight and the best we have been to in Scotland.

Room Tip: Any every where is divine
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Travel_Teddybears
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We have just had our wedding at the roman camp and it was perfect !!! After being let down by the ardeonaig ( they have closed down) the day before our wedding the Roman Camp was recomended to us by our marriage registrar so one frantic phonecall and the wedding was back on!!! What can I say .... We were looked after from the second we arrived by the lovely nicola and callum who also became our witnesses ... Given a beautiful room and we were marroed in the library with all the candles lit... It was so romantic and perfect im still all overwhelmed by the day .... The staff are brilliant and unobtrusive .... The dinner was fantastic and the whole hotel was gorgeous all log fires and peaceful justnperfect for a wedding and we will be going back for definate so again a huge thankyou to nicola and callum and the owners and chef for helping us .... We cant wait to come back :-) julie and david

• Stayed February 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Hillymooster
eoinbaby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife treated ourself to afternoon tea on our way to Oban. The food was delicious, atmosphere extremely welcoming and staff polite courteous and professional. We would like to say that Megan went out of her way to make us feel at home. This was particularly significant for us as my wife and I were feeling a little bit down as our darling Collie , Maura was put to sleep the previous day.
Thank you for your kindness and delicious fayre.

John and Elspeth

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eoinbaby
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

On a Friday Afternoon in February, I spotted the sign for the Roman Camp Country House and went in.
I waited for several minutes as there was nobody at Reception to greet me but eventually a young female staff member appeared.
After establishing availability for the evening, I asked if the tariff was what was stated on the list at the Reception desk, I thought as I had arrived fairly late on in the afternoon I may be able to obtain a late booking discount or similar.
The young woman told me that the price was what was stated on the tariff, she didn't even give me chance to put in an offer, nor did she make any effort to look on the hotel computer for up to date booking information.
The price of a standard double was £160 for a night, I would have happily negotiated a passing trade price, it's what we Australians do!
Unfortunately there was no dealing to be done and I left disappointed, that disappointment turning to anger however when I looked up on a well known late booking site to discover that the price of a standard double at the Roman Camp that night was £84.50!!!
I would have loved to have stayed at the hotel as it looked so charming and typically British..
For the prices that are being charged on a normal everyday basis, I would have expected your staff to have been much more attentive, knowledgeable and polite. At the end of the day I was going to offer £150 (before I knew about the website) but on principal and after experiencing the abruptness of the person representing you, I decided to spend my £150 elsewhere. Thanks for nothing! What a shame.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sharon S
Maplewood, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We attended a wedding here in December. The decorations were gorgeous, the location easy to walk to from Callander. Every aspect was handled so efficiently making it one of the nicest weddings I have been to.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BKz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
#1 of 1 in Ardeonaig
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith

Been to Roman Camp Hotel? Share your experiences!