“Soft Drinks EXPENSIVE!!!”

Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Callander
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family owned pub/restaurant offering local fresh produce in the beautiful surroundings of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. Disabled accessible and family/dog friendly.
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We pre-booked our table (this is a must) and when we arrived they had put others at our table and had to put us beside the door, not great when you have a child and highchair. As I am not drinking at the moment I had a pint of soft drink (pineapple & lemonade and orange and lemonade) - each pint cost more than a pint of Tennents! This should not be the case.

The food was standard, the service poor - had to chase staff to order 2nd drinks - ordered just before main course arrived, drinks arrived after main course eaten!

Enpensive for what for what it was!

Reviewed September 3, 2010

Beer was very good , good pub food But a little pricey for what it was.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband loves the Lade Inn because they brew their own beer - not just one type but 3, so was keen for us to have a meal here. There was promise of a childrens room, but the reality was a box of baby toys and some colouring in books and crayons. Don't get me wrong though as this is much better than a lot of establishments offer, just slightly less than the image conjured up by childrens room.

The menu is very much standard pub grub, fish and chips, burgers, that sort of thing. Rather than having a children's menu they have a reduced size option on some of their food items available for pensioners and children. Great idea, but less pleased when our childs fish and chips cost £7.15, although it was very good . I ordered the whole trout and it was very good, hubby had the sirloin steak which was ok. Portion sizes are big.

All in all a dependable location for a reasonable meal.

1  Thank joaniebinedinburgh
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Firstly if you are approaching from the Callander side then it is worth driving past the Lade Inn to check out the views along Loch Lubnaig one mile up the road. This will also help build a healthy appetite, which you will need when returning to the Inn as they offer very generous portions.

This venue has an excellent supply of beers and wines to choose from. However I would recommend that you order wine by the bottle not the glass as it works out cheaper.

For my starter I had the Scottish Salmon which was very tasty and not as filling as the Haggis balls which were also tasty but quite heavy for a starter.

For my main I went for Haggis Neeps and Tatties a very traditional Scottish Dish. My only complaint was that the whisky sauce was advertised as creamy and appeared on the watery side. That said it was still very tasty and I am probably being a little on the picky side. Haggis can be dry and this was cooked to perfection as was the rest of the main course.

Others in my group had the 1/2lb burgers which got the thumbs up. Although neither ate the onion relish which was said to make the burger soggy and not be to their liking. Possibly worth considering placing this in a side dish so people can try before smothering over their burger.

Now my favorite part of the meal...STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING! Delicious. Was almost willing to give five out of five purely based on this dish. Although I was full from the previous two courses I could not leave any. I was even tempted to lick the bowl clean but managed to restrain myself. Much to the delight of my fellow diners I am sure. The sponge was light and the sweetness of the sauce was well balanced by the custard which appeared to be homemade and not packet.

The setting, good food at a reasonable price with lovely surroundings make this a trip worth taking when you are out and about in this part of Scotland.

Reviewed August 6, 2010

Get the Lade on a good day, your food will be very nice indeed. On a less good day, well, what to say? It's perhaps less good - but at its most ordinary (over only four or five visits all told) hasn't been unsatisfactory enough to make us decide to stay away. Everywhere we've been has been subject to a degree of variability, and the Lade is no different.

We tend to arrive earlyish for Sunday lunch only, so can't comment on how things are for dinner or for entertainment. We like to eat in the small bar with the log fire - very attractive on cold days - it's to the left of the entrance doorway. The tables in there are smallish, and the wee round ones wouldn't do folks who aren't couples or close friends; but as we're both, that suits us just fine.

The staff have always been friendly and welcoming and I've yet to see food trodden into the carpet as someone else wrote in their review. Neither have I found sticky tables or anything else to complain about. The place is normally cosy and there's usually a buzz of contented conversation around the tables. Their draught beers have always been well kept too - and they'll offer a tasting glass to help you choose the beer you fancy.

Overall an unadventurous little eatery, but one we find we like and will go back to I'm quite sure when in the area.

In fact now I've had to sit and think about the Lade I realise it's been too long since we were there - will have to make the effort to go back soon. If you're having a tour drive around the Trossachs you could do a lot worse than stop here to break your day.