“Lovely Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Callander
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family owned pub/restaurant offering local fresh produce in the beautiful surroundings of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. Disabled accessible and family/dog friendly.
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Pleasant surroundings and good food made for an enjoyable lunch. The food was of good quality and filling. The coffees were good but the best part was the big homemade chocolate that came with it! Would recommend to anyone in the area.

There are newer reviews for The Lade Inn

Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife and I have visited this establishment several times over the years. I don't, however, anticipate returning until the kitchen staff are replaced.

The order was simple. I wanted a cheese sandwich and my wife wanted cream of tomato soup.

The cheese sandwich was two slices of bread (I am not exaggerating) each fully one-inch thick. Between them was a one-and-a-half inch layer of grated cheese. Unfortunately, it didn't come with instructions as to how you actually bite into three and a half inches of sndwich full of grated cheese without ultimately finding yourself WEARING the grated cheese.

As for the soup....... Try to imagine half a pint of milk taken from a cow suffering from very severe mastitis, spilled onto the floor of a garage. You would have an insipid looking pink liquid with blobs of black oil floating on top. That's what the cream of tomato soup looked like. And, according to my wife who was brave enough to taste the stuff, it tasted extremely bitter.

I also tried one of their "Lade Ales." Mediocre at best!

The barman and the waitress were pleasant and efficient.

Just get rid of the chef and all might be well.

2  Thank Graham W
Frankiechelsea, Owner at The Lade Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

No one likes to receive bad reviews and we take all feedback seriously. The cheese sandwich referred to in this review is on the Menu as a Chunky Sandwich and from your feedback is exactly as decribed on the menu. When you complained, after biting into it, our waitress offered to replace your sandwich with a thin one, you declined the offer. Your wife wanted to eat, then she did not, then she did not want soup, as she had had soup the day before, finally she ordered soup. We make all our own soup from fresh ingredients. The tomato soup you refer to was enjoyed by many customers - yes cream is added and basil oil these can be left out if you prefer it. My son is our head chef and his second chef has been with us for 6 years, so we will certainly not be replacing them, as they are the main reason our food is so well received by other customers. You would know this if you were a regular visitor to the Lade Inn as you claim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our Lade Inn Ales are appreciated by real ale drinkers all over the world, we sell thousands of pints every year and there is normally one of the three on offer that a real ale drinker or beginner will enjoy. Sorry, there was not one to your taste. My staff offered to call me to meet you, but unfortunately I did not get the chance, as you walked out avoiding meeting me and paying only a contribution towards the cost of your meal and drinks.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

During our extremely wet and windy (ex-USA hurricane) week at beautiful Stronachlachar on Loch Katrine, we visited the Lade Inn twice. Once for a late lunch because it was raining, cold and dark and we needed somewhere to eat and dry off. The second occasion (early evening meal) was because the place was so welcoming the first time with fantastic food and excellent staff. They even welcomed our two reasonably well-behaved dogs (large Airedale and small nondescript terrier). Although it's not the cheapest place to eat, neither is is run-of-the-mill pub grub. My partner Amy enjoyed the scampi/chips so much the first time that she ordered it on the second occasion too while I went for the haggis, neeps and tatties on the first visit and the steak & ale pie second time around. All the food was beautifully flavoured and freshly cooked and we enjoyed every mouthful. The raspberry concoction we sampled for the sweet course had to be tasted to be believed and if my waistline's anything to go by, it wasn't the lo-calorie version. As if the above wasn't enough, the owners have their own micro-brewery close by and although I can't claim to have tried all three variants, the blonde one I supped (lowest ABV) was excellent and a most unusual flavour. The pub is actually in Kilmahog just outside Callendar at the start of the Duke's Pass to Aberfoyle. It's worth a drive to sample such an excellent ambience and friendly folk.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

If you are looking for good value for money rather than exquisite cuisine then the Lade Inn would probably satisfy all your needs. The portions are generous - indeed, one of this restaurant's attractive features is the opportunity to order smaller portions of most dishes at reduced cost - which, according to our helpful young waiter, would 'leave some room for pudding!' In my case even the smaller version of the lamb tagine was sufficient to ensure that I was not tempted to go any further. My wife's baked trout was excellent and my son, after a full day's work and a long drive from the Borders, was clearly enjoying his fish and chips. The Lade Inn offers good if ordinary cuisine at sensible prices in an cosy environment - yes, we shall certainly go there again.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Had high hopes as the reviews on here were positive. When we arrived the welcome was warm and friendly the atmosphere warm and inviting. I ordered a starter of Venison and a Steak & Ale Pie to follow. The food was cooked beautifully and presented well. There were ample choice of wine and the widest choice of real ale and single malts I can remember. They made us all welcome, my daughter is only 12, and if yoiu are in the area it is a must for a good night, or lunch, out.