“Great Experience”

Ranked #6 of 46 Restaurants in Callander
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Venachar Lochside has a beautiful location on the banks of Loch Venachar, 10 minutes from Callander. Our menus offer fresh, seasonal and local produce. We have facilities for idyllic lochside weddings and functions in addition to great trout and pike fishing from both boat and bank.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

At the end of a wander around the Trossachs we nipped into the Harbour Cafe and were very pleasantly surprised, the quality of the food was excellent, in fact the 'Cullin Skink' soup was so large my partner struggled to each her main course afterwards, the staff were nice, eager to please, and very helpful if we hadn't understood the menu options.
Views over the Loch were super, and the whole experience brought to an end a wonderful day out.

1  Thank Barry D
Alice L, General Manager at Venachar Lochside, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Barry,

Thank you so much for your review and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Food had no flavours and for such tasteless food was pretty expensive. There was also a negative atmosphere as if staff were looking down at us. However, the view from the cafe was lovely, a broad view over Loch Venachar.

Alice L, General Manager at Venachar Lochside, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Sammie,

Thank you for your review and please let me firstly say that we would never look down on any of our customers and I am really sorry that you felt this way. We were very busy this weekend and perhaps we were not as attentive as we should have been.

The price of the food is reflective of the fact that everything is freshly prepared and made to order. Generally the feedback we get is that our food is excellent value for money and delicious but I guess we can't please everyone (although we do try!) and perhaps we just weren't the place for you.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Visited this today ( Sunday) was pretty busy, but was shown to a table almost immediately, only wanted a coffee and cake. Nipped to loo ( which was spotless) and on my return my order was waiting on my table! Location is stunning, with great views over the Loch. Coffee was great as was the cake. Top notch stuff. Highly recommended! Oh, the food that the other customers looked great too, they also cater for functions. Give it a try!

Hi SanJuan,

Thanks for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit. I hope you can come back and see us again in the future,

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is a tricky one for me as I had a similiar experience to the previous reviewer on my second visit to this restaurant and went ahead and ordered drinks only to be told that they had stopped doing food at around 16:15 maybe 16:30?
But.... this place is good.
Car parking is available, cafe is spotless, service is excellent, food is really, really good and prices are reasonable. Definitely worth stopping in as the views across the loch are stunning. Did I say the food was really good?
Best place we have eaten in the Aberfoyle, Callander area. Fish and chips cooked to perfection, bettered only in Westray and that is a little too far to travel!

2  Thank kevv

Dear Kew,

I am sorry you weren't able to have lunch with us on this occasion. Sometimes we do have to stop serving lunch early if we sell out of food. All our produce is fresh and therefore once its gone its gone. We don't use any frozen pre-prepared food at all and we are proud of the fact.

That said, I understand that your issue is with the fact that we didn't let you know we had stopped serving when you arrived and we will work on this and make sure we communicate more effectively with customers in the future.

Thanks for your lovely comments and I hope to welcome you to Venachar Lochside again in the future

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Visited this restaurant for lunch. Attentive and friendly service. Food was excellent, local trout cooked perfectly.