“SCOTTISH FOOD AT ITS BEST”

Crags Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 45 Restaurants in Callander
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant within hotel
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Lovely hostess. Helped us with our choices. Very good prices too!! Excellent food and excellent service. Made our stay in Callander a memorable one. I had the set menu and my husband had the burger with haggis!! Our daughter loved the food too!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great Room, wonderful bed. Full Scottish and more. Even although there is a public bar at one end of the building, there was no noise during the evening. We had a good time and will be staying here again.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had a meal here at Friday 20/7/12, you mast try the fishcake ...
the soup was nice , the best ever mushrooms soup we had so nice .
The best rhubarb crumle ,good b/burger.
Nice food

Reviewed July 16, 2012

The restaurant is small but so comfortable with soft music, waiters are always very kind e and the food is very good with abundant portions. Finally, they are one of the most cheap restaurant.
Try the soup of the day, the steak pie and the fishcake.

1  Thank MadLuke
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The menu was basic pub meals which is what we wanted and thought we could not go wrong, oh dear! The waitress/bar person was quite unwelcoming and her bare midriff did nothing to enhance that. The meals were some of the worst we have had, my wife's macaroni cheese was dry and her garlic bread was swimming in garlic and one bite was enough to leave an awful burning in the mouth. My curry was slightly better but the sauce was very oily and was left untouched. Did complain and received £3 discount and apology from manager for our bad experience, unfortunately £3 did not really compensate. Awful experience.

4  Thank Cotsie
AlexScrivenor, Owner at Crags Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave your balanced, accurate and objective views for us to learn from… My honest opinion is that there has been a misunderstanding and I would like to take this opportunity to illustrate how it may have come about…
Poor Amandine (our French waitress) has been deeply affected by your opinions! I must explain that she is very sensitive… and very French. When she first saw you as you walked through our front door, her little Gallic heart nearly burst with pity… Amandine has become used to ‘happy-go-lucky’ tourists, who buzz through the door and generally fill the place with happy laughter and airy chatter…
On the night in question she was concerned that the overall mood of our guests was (and here I refer to no one in particular!) was below par! So downcast was the general disposition of our visitors that for a moment she wondered if each person coming in should receive a hug.
I explained that indiscriminate hugging is frowned on in our country… She was saddened by this… I remember, she turned and asked me in her broken English “Vy are zey all soo … Comment dit on … triste? Sad?” “eez eet possible” she asked “zat zey ave all buried un family pet?... or Peut-être zey have been betting and zey lost all of zer savings on ‘Shivermetimbers’ running at Kempton Park (or the French equivalent)?”… I explained that the mood off our guests was consistent with those experiencing Scottish weather for the first time.
However she was determined to cheer people up, and after a moments contemplation she hit upon a scheme… she planned to lighten the mood by wearing her new, sparkly Chemise, that she had bought for a Turkish themed, belly dancing evening.
It was clear that the citizens walking through our door were not of the type to be moved by sparkly tops of any kind, but there was no stopping her!
With the benefit of hindsight, I agree that the garment Amandine chose to wear was better suited to the less salubrious bordellos of Marseille. It was not an appropriate uniform for an establishment such as ours. But she meant well! (by way of an addendum, one of the Woodcutters who frequents our public bar has become bewitched by the memory of that top and often speaks of it in hushed tones).
We have since held an independent enquiry and it has been determined that there was, as you rightly pointed out, human flesh showing… no doubt! It was measured and the published results demonstrated that exactly 3 inches of epidermis was visible starting at the base of the Thoracic Cage and ending just above the umbilicus. This is exactly 1½ inches more than is allowed by our ‘Clothing at Work Charter’.
We have since confiscated her top and promised to return it when she is repatriated to her native land!
I would like to take a moment in order to refer to the mention of our garlic bread scenario! ‘A burning sensation’… I find this puzzling and just a little worrying! We have spoken at length to Chef and tried to determine what might have happened to cause this violation of H&S. We are stumped… the bread is served consistently at 50*c (the temp, universally accept as the one appropriate for garlic bread)… I suppose my only thoughts are… and I don’t want to appear ridiculous here, I just want to cover off all potential scenarios… is it possible that you mistook one of the candles for a garlic bread? I appreciate it is unlikely, but it would certainly account for the burning.
I am sorry that you thought £3 was not generous enough… it represented a 20% discount from the overall bill. I have researched several websites to find out what the industry standard is for discounts… 10% seems to be the accepted norm. But of course each case must be treated differently… Had you pushed the plate, untouched, to one side and left the restaurant… I would not have dreamt of pursuing you through the small claims court for unpaid bills… but if you will recall, you did eat every last scrap of the hideous food we served you! And to offer a 20% discount on two empty plates seems to me to be generous.
Yours,