“Wonderful Inn”

The Old Church House Inn
Ranked #18 of 130 Restaurants in Newton Abbot
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: South Devon's hidden gem! Beautiful 13th century inn nestled in the historic hamlet of Torbryan. Comfortable, individually styled rooms, great food and a cosy bar. Near Dartmoor and the South Devon coast.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was our first visit to the Old Church House Inn though we have lived locally for some years. What a find, we will be going back more often now we have found it. On entering we were met with one of the warmest greeting we have had at any pub and restaurant. The young lady was a real ray of sunshine and could not do enough. The pub is incredible and a historic gem and the food was excellent we look forward to our next visit.

1  Thank Graham J
There are newer reviews for The Old Church House Inn

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We visited this really charming, traditional old Inn for a second time at the beginning of May and will be visiting again. The food and accommodation was as always excellent and our room was spotless. The bathroom had a very nice large bath with plenty of hot water. The landlord and staff are really friendly, lovely people that make you feel very welcome. This is one of the nicest places we've ever stayed in in the south west and is always worth a visit. Thank you x

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I woke up today next to the woman of my dreams. I looked out of the window to be blessed with a bright sunny spring day. Off to The Old Church House Inn at Torbryan for a celebratory lunch.
What a lovely setting in such a beautiful hamlet, on such a day. Upon entering we were greeted with smiles and made to feel most welcome. I fancied a real ale and was immediately offered a taster so as not to be saddled with a pint that I didn't like. The ale poured proved to be excellent.
We ordered a three course meal, which was served in a timely manner. The starter and main courses were served piping hot and there was plenty of it. The Mexican soup was a joy and I would have been content at that but when my Sirloin steak arrived I couldn't believe my eyes. It was large and cut thick, cooked to perfection. The plate was adorned with chunky chips, battered onions, mushrooms and other diverse garnishes. The steak melted in the mouth and was so flavoursome. The best steak I have had in years. The staff were efficient, polite and most friendly. Their service could not be faulted, in fact they enhanced my day. Oh! The day,my birthday and nothing spoiled it. I will have no hesitation in returning or singing its praises to my family and friends. A real jewel in the heart of the Devon countryside.

1  Thank HallofDevon
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Another cracking meal. Rustic and with amazing roasts and a bonus for us, dog friendly. We eat in the bar next to the roaring fire and the food is scorching hot and plentiful. We will now be regulars for our roasts there. Worth the half hour travel and we will be back....

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went for lunch with the family and found the food was good but not exceptional. Son had roast beef and Yorkshire with roast potatoes and veg. The meat was a little fatty and the spuds were reheated, but for a Wednesday lunchtime it was passable. Other mains were better. Desserts were very good with the cherry rice pudding a particular highlight.

Plus points for the very friendly service and free WiFi which was handy as there was no mobile coverage on Vodafone.