“Unhappy with service”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We went for my grandmother's 93rd birthday meal. We had Sunday carvery and it was good.
We ordered just 2 desserts afterwards and were waiting about 20 mins for the desserts. We mentioned we were waiting and still they did not appear, so we decided to leave. Just as we got our coats, the desserts turned up. As my Husband had already gone up to the bar to ask them to refund the desserts, just as they turned up! I said to the bar tender that we had been waiting a long time and that we should get the refund anyway. I was told how busy they were with Christmas party guests in the other side of the building etc. etc. no apology from him at all. He was just happy to argue with back at me. It is not the customers problems they are too busy, they obviously don't have enough staff covering. They should also have communicated with us to tell us the would be a delay but nothing was said. Trained customer service staff do not argue with customers. i have been in customer service for over 20 years and know that in those situations you say sorry to the customer if they are unhappy even if you have a valid reason. I know that if I spoke to my guests like he spoke to me, I would not have a job for very long!!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I visited the Pen Inn as part of a fairly large group and can recommend it as a place to enjoy decent no frills pub grub. The menu seems to be an ever changing mix of specials on little blackboards; I would have to return to see how many of these change. They operate a 2 for 1 thing on their main courses which is fine with a group but may impact on solo dining.
Don't expect fine dining here, but if you are in need of better food than the place with a large M outside you could do much worse than this.

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We often pop into the Penn Inn, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. The 2 4 1 offer is great, and I don't feel too guilty about not cooking. The food is always good, always hot and the staff are always friendly, polite and curious. Would highly recommend for good food and a atmosphere.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

brilliant food and service! enjoyed the food, was very delicious and the service was fab.
went for a catch up with my girls and thurily enjoyed it. the young waitress was brilliant very attentive but not overly which was nice :)
overall really enjoyed it and will be coming there again for my next catch up!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Dropped in for quick lunch whilst shopping in the area.
A good varied specials board as well as a standard menu.The beer (Otter) was well kept and as it was quite early plenty of tables were available.My wife and I both had one of the specials, breast of pheasant wrapped with bacon and stuffed with black pudding and sausage.We enjiyed it together with the roast potatoes but the veg was uninspiring,peas and carrots.
All meals are 2 for 1 so made this a very good value lunch for something different.