“Just needs service to raise the bar”
Review of Bickley Mill Inn

Bickley Mill Inn
Ranked #24 of 130 Restaurants in Newton Abbot
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Just needs service to raise the bar”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place has been well refurbished some while ago and of a while was a bit like a place trying to hard. Much better now; food was excellent on all counts. Wine list short but our choice was tops. Nice environment. My only gripe was the service. Very friendly but all a little rushed. More time between courses would be better and giving attention to the customer rather than looking around the place would be good. Sweets came especially quickly. Ironically, the bill took some time!
However, these were young folk learning still and overall this was a very good experience which we would be happy to re-visit.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Martyn B

Newton Abbot, England, United Kingdom
“Anniversary meal”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Having done a lot of our courting at the Bickley Mill, some thirty years ago, we felt it apt to return for an anniversary meal. We found the decor and the blazing log fire very much to our likening , an extensive menu gave us plenty of options , and we were not disappointed by the standard of the food. We did have a hiccup when I was presented with the wrong starter, I did question this but was told it was correct, only for a different waitress to come and tell me a little while later that there had been a mistake,and it was indeed the wrong one, by now I had already decided to accept what I had been given and to be fair it was very good so no great drama.
The rest of the meal passed without incident, the main course of Fish cakes for me and the house pie for my wife were very good indeed, the fish cakes were a lot different from those I remember from my school days :-).
We finished the meal with the most wonderful puddings , Steamed pears for me and Chocolate pudding for my wife, both well presented and very satisfying .
Considering the standard of the food we felt that the prices were very reasonable and we are planning to return in the summer to make use of the outside terrace and to try out my original starter.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“It was so good we went back twice!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have a two year old son, so we had two early dinners at the Bickley Mill.
The service was great, very attentive staff & the food superb!
We would definitely recommend this restaurant

• Visited February 2013
Devon
“Tucked away - but worth it!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

A country inn providing a warm welcome and relaxed atmosphere with good food which can be enjoyed without being rushed but it is advised to book at weekends. The staff are friendly and courteous

• Visited February 2013
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
“Family Birthday”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Now under new Management this restaurant is well worth a visit (we had been previously and threatened never to go again as we were so disappointed)
We were a party of 12, received a really delightful welcome, lovely clean, modern decor with true party atmosphere, the food was delicious, plenty of choice, fair price ( I had the mushroom and lemon rissotto, it was delicious but the portion far to big I could only manage half.
The service although off to an excellent start did slip a little as the evening went on ( this could have been due to the restaurant being fully booked not a seat to be had even in the bar, plus point, you have the table for the evening not hurried off to enable them to gain another sitting.
We will return and are delighted to have a first class restaurant practally on our doorstep.

• Visited January 2013