“A good Tex-Mex”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New business, opened Sept 2011
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

To celebrate a new family arrival nine of us (eight diners plus one on milk only) visited Rio Grande. First impressions were good as the restaurant has a nice feel and a good atmosphere, even when quiet as it was when we arrived at 5:45pm. We weren't immediately approached by the staff - it feels less informal perhaps - so we went to the bar and announced ourselves and were shown to our table and the drinks order taken. We perished the menu and shortly afterwards the waitress took our order fairly coolly but efficiently none the less.
We had a selection of starters including the two combos and nachos. Our group have a broad experience of Tex-Mex and always take starters; these, with one exception, were some of the best we've had. The exception was the loaded skins. They were nice enough skins but they had no 'load'! We wondered if the kitchen had forgotten to put them together properly, but let it go as we were so engrossed by everything else. Everyone enjoyed their mains apart from my Son who has the chicken fillet with Jack Daniel's sauce. Nothing wrong with the fillet but the sauce was terrible. The only other whinge was from one member of the party who likes things spicy and found the Mexican rice bland. I, however, had it with my BBQ Pulled Pork Salad and found it lovely. Each to their own. Portions were large and reminiscent of the States. Accordingly the restaurant are well prepared to provide 'doggy bags' and if they provided free refills of soft drinks you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!
We were too full to partake of desserts so cannot comment on them, it they looked very tempting. Maybe next time, which there will be. We'll just avoid the Jack Daniel's sauce!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been twice now and the first time we weren't even offered a drink we waited well over half hour and I had to go up to the bar and ask if there was any chance of getting a drink, the 2nd time we went with friends and the service again was just poor. The staff seem more interested in talking to each other than actually seeing if their customers need anything. Nice food but just need some decent staff, I even wrote a message (privately) on their Facebook page and no reply so obviously they don't care anyway so I will not be going back and will also warn other people not to bother either.

1  Thank kay23Devon
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Went with husband and both kids for lunch. Food was great, the kids portions were big enough for adults. Service excellent. This is the fourth time I have been and everytime I go I think I should go more often. Been with friends as well as family. Always a great time. Great value for money as well.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The last time I had Tex Mex food this good I was in Fortworth Texas. Quiet good selection and very good service. The atmosphere is great. They could improve by making it a little more welcoming maybe by having some Chips on the table when you arrive because we did have to wait a little while to get our food. That being said when the food arrived it was excellent. Yes we will be going back there. It would be good if they had a little more choice for the non Chilli eaters. Then I might be able to visit more!!

1  Thank Falcon v
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I can't understand why this restaurant has such good reviews.
I could stay at home and buy processed frozen mexican food which tastes the same. I expect better quality when paying eating out prices, otherwise whats the point?

It was this or Wetherspoons, and we unfortunately chose this, which will give you some idea of the standard.

1  Thank Cleo B