“outstanding food and hospitality”
Review of The Linny

The Linny
Ranked #3 of 131 Restaurants in Newton Abbot
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The linny is a great place to eat out, the food is outstanding and a great place to dine. lovely friendly staff always pleasant and service with a smile.
we have ate there a few times and will definitely be dining there again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

An old pub with old fashioned - good service and reasonably priced. Always a friendly welcome from the staff. The Sunday roast is excellent - all fresh and beautifully cooked. Go for the specials written on the board over the bar.. You will need to book, this pub is always busy. Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have been here many times before and have thoroughly enjoyed it but last night was not as good.my husband and myself had a crab starter which was tasty but you needed a spoon to eat it! Hubby then had roast of the day pork which was tasteless and very fatty. My salad was excellent .the place was full and very cramped too many tables in a small space my nephew had move to the end of the table to actually sit down! Shame

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Jolly, attentive service but this place is in a '70s time warp - the decor, the food and far too warm. The restaurant was full to capacity so obviously very popular but I noticed that not one person was under 50. If there is an actual chef in the kitchen I would be very surprised if he is also under 70. Vegetables were good, steak overcooked by a mile and done under grill so flavourless which was a waste of a quality bit of fillet in my view. Sure the peppercorn sauce is the one from Marks and Spencer - hmm! Oven chips - need I go on?

Tthelinny, General Manager at The Linny, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write your informative but somewhat inaccurate review of The Linny. I would agree that the building and decor are somewhat dated, the building infact, dates back to the 14th century. We do not advertise ourselves as a gasto-pub and the menu reflects this. We have been in business for nearly thirty years and have built up a loyal and substantial following which can be bourne out by the popularity of The Linny. We have a talented team in our kitchen, who are not of pensionable age as you suggest. We pride ourselves on serving the best and freshest food we can. I can assure you that all of our steaks without exception are cooked on a char-grill, our sauces are made to order and are not bought from a shop! The chips are not oven chips and are fried on the premises and drained of any surplus fat.

With regard to our clients, we are delighted to welcome all ages, and if one takes the time to look around one would see this. Isn't it nice to be able to go to a venue that isn't exclusively for one age group! We are a family run business that tries extremely hard to please, if you had had such an unsatisfactory experience it would have been better for all concerned it you have expressed your discontent at the time of your visit.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

beautiful thatched building at the end of a lane that makes you wonder if you are in the right place, then you come round the corner and there it is. real olde worlde charm. menus have wood covers and the menu takes you right back to the 90's. prawn cocktail, stroganoff, steak with port and stilton sauce and chips and chicken supreme. uh oh, thought I. but actually the food was excellent and I would return again so don't be put off by the menu