“Excellence from start to finish.”

The Thatched Cottage
Ranked #10 of 130 Restaurants in Newton Abbot
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We found this gem from Trip Advisor reviews. Forgot to book until the afternoon of the visit, and although they were really busy they accomodated us beautifully. A wet and windy evening outside, a warm and cosy interior. A very warm welcome, and attentive manager/owner? We were given plenty of time to order as we were busy chatting! We started with a complimentary appetiser which was delicious. Our starters and mains were beautifully presented and the service was very good indeed. I refused a homemade bread roll because I don't tolerate gluten very well, and they brought me a wonderful warm homemade gluten free roll, very unexpected and nice. The food itself was amazing, we all very much enjoyed what we had chosen. Only one of our party managed dessert, and that looked wonderful. We all had complimentary petit fours, which had to be squeezed in....then coffee. We were given as much time as we needed to sit and digest our meal, and all through the evening the staff were very friendly and helpful. The whole evening was a pleasure. We will be telling all our friends and returning ourselves.

1  Thank lavendergill

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner there with friends last night. From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic. I could have chosen everything on the menu, the choice was fantastic. For what we had the price was reasonable . We will definitely be going back.

2  Thank Les L
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I had a thoroughly enjoyable 3-course Sunday lunch at this charming restaurant. The service was impeccable; from the moment we arrived the staff were welcoming and attentive. The food was wonderful - my husband and I both agree that all three courses were excellent and really good value for money. We will definitely be returning. My only slightly negative comment was the choices on the menu, quite a few game dishes were offered (not to our personal tastes), but I guess this reflects the seasonable dishes available on the menu for the time of year. Keep up the good work!

3  Thank travellerCD
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Lived in torbay for over 40 years, saw great review on trip adviser, so decided to checI it out, lived up to all expectations. excellent, friendly service along with the fantastic good. Would thoroughly recommends, enjoy!!!

2  Thank Adam D
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was part of a group of 14 eating a Xmas lunch here. I had a 3 course lunch for £13.50 which included warm home made bread rolls and a starter of ham hock terrine with piccalilli. This was followed by braised beef with sauce (forgotten which!) and vegetables. Though I did return my beef because it was tough the staff dealt with it well and I was given another plate of braised beef which was perfect. My dessert was a pannacotta with spiced plums. I really liked the place. They were very busy but this didn't detract from the meal. I would definitely recommend this charming restaurant and will be returning.

2  Thank DeanaJane