We booked a 5 night break between Xmas & New Year & couldn't have asked for a friendly place to stay. The staff were without exception excellent, nothing was too much trouble, our room was comfortable with views out across the fields & hills beyond & we enjoyed seeing the chickens, geese, ducks and goats wandering around the farm.
Cooked breakfast was delicious with a couple of more unusual option of eggs Benedict & smoked salmon & scrambled egg on a muffin (both delicious) plus the usual full English. The evening meal included a option of the tastiest lamb I have ever eaten. Veg of the day was the same every night so i would have liked to have seen a bit of variety, maybe every other day. Puddings were home made & didn't disappoint. We didn't get to meet the owner & his artist wife as they were away at the time of our visit but we enjoyed Sarah's art work immensely.
We will definitely be back and thoroughly recommend a stay here. Oh and most important for us, it's dog friendly too
One change i would make if the place was mine would be to rearrange the seating in the lounge area. I felt as if i were sitting in a train carriage! I appreciate it is a small area and difficult to get the optimum number of seats in but it is a gorgeous room with a roaring fire & could feel cosier with a reshuffle. I think the main problem is the 2 pews back to back. 2 sofas back to back wouldn't create the barrier that the pews do so i would try and find a way to put the pews back against the walls somewhere. Obviously this didn't affect my enjoyment of our visit to any extent or scoring but hopefully it is useful to have an objective viewpoint.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charming 14c thatched Devon longhouse bed breakfast with additional ground floor en-suite rooms in the converted stables. We offer rustic charm with friendly professional service. Pick your own free range eggs for breakfast from our array of happy hens in the apple orchards. River walks along the Templers way 4oo yards down the lane, walk across to Stover Country Park, free Wellingtons on standby. Home-made cakes baked by my daughter Eliza and why not treat yourself to a Devon Cream Tea. Great location to Discover Dartmoor (Hound of the Baskerville country) Teignmouth, Shaldon and Dartmouth all close by. Visit the famous Eden Project only 90 minutes away by car. I am always on hand to guide you on what to see and where to go. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Sampsons Farm Country Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sampsons Farm, Restaurant & Rooms Hotel Newton Abbot
- Sampsons Farm, Restaurant And Rooms
- Hotel Sampsons Farm Country
- Sampsons Farm Country Hotel Newton Abbot, Devon