“Good food, awful service”
Review of The Bickley Mill

The Bickley Mill
Ranked #2 of 23 Newton Abbot B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

As title suggests, the food was pretty good and worth recommending but the service from start to finish was terrible.

Waiting with dirty plates for 30mins between courses, forgetting to cook of the main courses, promising to bring kids puddings quickly as they were bored with all the long waits and then bringing the kids puddings after the adults.

Generally being ignored by all the staff. No one seemed to have responsibility for our table.

Accepting payment by Amex then calling hours later to say they didn't accept Amex, but when we called to sort out they admitted they did take Amex and had billed the card already???

• Stayed: February 2014
James W, Owner at The Bickley Mill, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent visit. I am sorry that you felt that the service was awful but in our defence, we came back to your table repeatedly but didn't clear it as one of your party hadn't finished eating. We admit that the service wasn't up to its usual standard,we made a decision to accommodate four tables that had accidentally booked Bickleigh Mill in Tiverton thinking they had booked with us. They all turned up at the same time and it was difficult to turn them away. I am sorry this had a knock-on effect.
Regarding the card payment, we had to take payment the manual way as our card processing machine had broken down, adding to the pressure of an already busier than usual lunchtime. We called you to say that the card payment couldn't be taken that way and then took the payment from the said card after the machine had been mended. I am sorry if this was a problem for you. It was our intention to rectify the situation, not to exasperate it. Thank you for your for the positive feedback about the food.

There are newer reviews for The Bickley Mill

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We made a last minute decision to eat out for Sunday lunch so hadn't booked anywhere. We arrived at the Bickley Mill to a very friendly welcome by the Maitre D'. We were offered a table by an open fire which was very much appreciated given the bad weather. Very quick service meant we were soon enjoying a steak in ale pie, which was succulent and tasty ( I like to think I am a bit of a connoisseur on pies) and a rib eye steak, which my husband told me was the tastiest he had eaten in a while. The vegetables were plentiful and varied but I would say, lacked seasoning. That aside, a very enjoyable meal with warm, friendly service at a reasonable price. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was out third time at The Bickley mill. The second was for the Christmas menu. The best Christmas meal I have eaten out.
Last night we had the slow roast belly pork lovely.
The service excellent, despite a party of 40in the function room we did not have to wait very long for our delicious food. The Maitrde and waitresses very helpful and unflappable.
Although off the beaten track the place was busy in the restaurant.
Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights B&B basis. After a long journey we were welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff. We sat in the bar if front of the lovely open fire, drinking great beer and wine. We had a meal in the restaurant which was truly delicious. I would definitely recommend Bickley Mill for a stay. It has everything you could want. It has charm, character, great beers and wines, great food. Lovely rooms. Faultless. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked for Christmas Day dinner and were a table of 5. The welcome we received on arrival and the festive presentation of the restaurant were both excellent. We were very impressed with the food which was the best Christmas dinner I had eating in years despite the fact that the restaurant was full to capacity. All the staff were very helpful and efficient and nothing was too much trouble for them.
We have eaten here before and can thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: We did not stay over but I was shown one of the rooms and it was very smart.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tiggrrr
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in October and was not disappointed. Food was excellent and staff very friendly and welcoming. Stayed in Millstone Room which was lovely. Cheap small TV in the room a bit disappointing (could hardly hear it) and let the room appearance down a little but did not spoil our stay. Hotel setting was lovely and peaceful with countryside views. Mobile phone reception is very poor but typical of a very rural location. All in all a lovely stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I was working away in Newton Abbot for a day and thought Bickley Mill looked lovely. Stayed in the Eaves room which was on the top floor, lovely and quiet, comfy bed, spotlessly clean and a gorgeous large bathroom with roll top bath. Room was slightly on the smaller side, but as I was travelling alone I didn't mind, might have felt a bit cramped if it two were staying.

Staff - in particular the lovely girl on the bar / restaurant in the evening were great.

Food - main course I ordered the butternut risotto - arrived less than 10 mins after I had placed the order and it had obviously been microwaved as the steam coming off of it was shocking, left it a few minutes before tasting and it burnt my mouth, and chest as I ate the mouthful. Left it 5 mins turning it to try and cool it down, every time I put my fork into turn it more and more steam came off. After 10 mins it had just about cooled down enough to eat. It was bland, watery and lacked the oozy creaminess of risotto. Butternut squash was in chunks and was under cooked - parmesan 'crisp' was thick, soggy and chewy. So disappointing and I ate no more than 5 mouthfuls. The young waitress doing the majority of table service ignored me when I tried to get her attention and by the time I the lovely barmaid came by I had lost my appetite (even though she had offered to get me something else). Pudding baileys and malteser cheesecake however was lovely - well presented and delicious.

Breakfast the next morning - ordered the full English as I was so hungry from the night before and once again more food disappointment. Firstly I was the only breakfast diner - hardly any milk for cereal, hardly any orange juice left, no yogurts or fruit on the table as stated on the menu. Asked for a yoghurt when the waitress appeared (which was about once every 15 mins the rest of the time she vanished!). Full english, fatty chewy undercooked bacon, rock hard sausage, greasy reheated mushrooms and toast that would have been lovely had it had some time to actual toast rather than been the horrible not even pale colour.

On checkout mentioned the awful risotto to the waitress who asked if I was veggie - no - her response well why have the risotto? OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

Would I stay again? Yes. Would I eat here again? Probably no.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
#2 of 5 in Newton Abbot
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#9 of 87 in Torquay

Been to The Bickley Mill? Share your experiences!