We went to Lucknam Park for a double Birthday meal, and had a really nice time. The dining room was presented excellently and the food is what you'd expect from a single starred restaurant. The badly managed staff unfortunately let it down.
I'm writing this review for feedback to the restaurant on all the little things that were not quite right.
Staff and service
- We were told that they could 'squeeze us in' on a Thursday evening, to arrive to a nearly empty restaurant. We were on a round table on the other side of the room to the other four or five sittings and felt the lack of atmosphere.
- There was no obvious heirachy within the staff. There was an older man who we first thought was the maitre d, but later didn't see much of him, and a younger man in a tuxedo took over. This mis-balance was just strange.
- At one point the waitress poured fizzy water in my half full wine glass. It's ok to make mistakes, but it should have been fixed with a fresh glass immediately, with no questions. I was asked if I'd like it to be replaced which created the difficult situation. This wasn't later resolved by the maitre d, and there were no omissions on the bill.
- We had the wine flight, and the sommelier at one point served us two glasses of wine with one course (a white and a red) because he 'was taking a break'. Unbelievable!
- We were half way through the explanation of the cheeses, when the man in the tuxedo came over and took over. If the first waiter wasn't capable, then he shouldn't have started.
- We chose to have coffee in the sitting room, and were walked through to the only room without a fire on, where a waitress spent her time puffing up the other sofas for the next day's guests.
- We said our goodbyes to around five staff at the exit, and none offered to help us with umbrellas into the taxi.
- The food was presented differently to each guest. Some were mirrored, with the meat on different sides. Some had varying sized garnishes.. It was all just a bit random for a michelin starred restaurant.
- Desert was a fruit sorbet, served mid December. It was totally out of place.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.