“Chippenham's best!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We live in Crewe but frequently visit friends and family in Chippenham. We are slowly but surely working our way around the various public houses and restaurants.

The Langely Tap is by far the best we've encountered so far. It is a charming looking building with a delighful, modern, clean interior. The beer garden is extremely well kept and we enjoyed a drink in the sun whilst we waited for our food to arrive (Which wasn't a long wait, I hasten to add!)

The staff were friendly without being overbearing and the food was delcious (I had the soup and the chicken breast).

We will dine here again as soon as we can. A fantastic establishment.

2  Thank Carol B
There are newer reviews for The Langley Tap

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am beginning to wonder whether I am very fussy, have a jaded palate or just make the wrong choices when I go to places which have as many good reviews as this one and come away not feeling the same!
I've been planning a visit for a while and finally managed it this weekend for Sunday lunch.
Easy to find, good parking, fairly straightforward layout and decoration - although I really liked the round tables and big leather chairs in the restaurant area - and interesting bar stools!
Friendly and helpful staff but girls, if you're going to wear white, make sure it is white and not grey/white - doesn't give a great impression of cleanliness and care.
Loved the menu - I didn't actually want 'Sunday lunch' but I knew from the website that there are lots of other delicious-sounding dishes available, and I found it very difficult to choose between about four different things - and all reasonably priced.
One of my friends had a similar problem but her husband, who doesn't eat much meat and does almost all their cooking at home, really struggled as his choice was very limited - fish & chips, thai curry, stir fry, pasta or chick pea patties. All except the F&C are things he cooks regularly at home so no points for imagination for veggies I'm afraid.
I finally chose the venison because I love it but don't often eat it. It arrived beautifully medium-rare on top of some very well cooked saute potatoes, which I always think are difficult to get right, so top marks for that, but the meat tasted of practically nothing - perhaps it was too thinly sliced?
The veg followed a few minutes later and were sadly another disappointment - I imagine lots of pots of different things being kept warm in the kitchen and spooned into a communal dish with each table's order. Result - luke warm and flavourless. Such a waste and does nothing to encourage people to eat their five a day.
The venison is served with a sauce - there are a few to choose from and I'd chosen English mustard and cream, which was creamy and mustardy and gave the venison some taste.
But the whole thing was crying out for gravy, not just for taste but for moisture AND for keeping everything on the plate hot. Those sauces are fine with steak and chips but not when the meat has already been sliced, is served on top of potatoes, and dull veg.
I go out to eat to enjoy time with my friends and to get away from cooking, and I expect the food to be tasty and the vegetables to be a pleasure to eat, not just filling up the plate, and I am SO disappointed when I am served things that I KNOW could be better with just a little bit of care and attention.
The service is very good - attentive, quick to clear away and helpful with questions and explanations. When the bill came we were surprised to see that the drinks (five glasses of wine) came to more than the food, so what we had was probably good value, just disappointing.
If you're going to run a restaurant you have to do it better than your customers can in their own kitchens, otherwise they feel disappointed and resentful about paying for it.

1  Thank JAT1960
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Dropped in to the Langley Tap for the first time and were delighted. Warm welcome and excellent food at a reasonable price. Dog friendly, coupled with helpful and attentive service. Recommended.

1  Thank psychoeric
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have visited The Tap on a number of occasions and never felt a need to review it until I read the pointless pathetic one left below. This pub hits way above what you think when you pull up outside. The food is always fantastic, the service friendly welcoming and non intrusive and the ambiance spot on. They support a local radio station which play music from the 60's to the 90's with the odd hit from the 00's thrown in - nothing there to offend anyone! Last time we were here we ate Fresh Lobster which was the best I have had anywhere in the uk or abroad. The new team here are winning awards and for good reason. Where else can you go to eat that will portion down anything off their menu for children? Cooked fresh locally sourced - the best for miles. Visit and judge for yourself I personally guarantee you won't be disappointed - and yes the gorgeous chairs have upright backs - not sure many restaurants have reclining chairs!!!

1  Thank Anne T
TheLangleyTap, Owner at The Langley Tap, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Hi Anne - I have nothing more to say but thank you!!!!!! We try our hardest every day & night so you defence is warmly appreciated! Best wishes Jo

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Was looking for somewhere to take a party of >30 but it will NOT be the Langley Tap unless we all become deaf. Every room/area has at least two speakers so there is no escape from the staff's choice and inconsiderate volume of "music" - it is NOT background noise it is aggravating and something you will have to talk above, we gave up and had a rather silent average meal. The meat platter was curly and sweaty looking and not very substantial for a main. Thai Yellow Curry with vegetables would possibly indicate Thai veg but it was not the case. Unimaginatively these were strips of red and yellow pepper, much mange tout, slices of baby sweetcorn and half a dozen whole chantenay carrots - carrots in a curry, and that was it. We sat away from the bar to get away from the noise but it was no better in the dining area near the kitchen where there were some comfortable chairs but most of them are wooden and ramrod straight that you would not choose to spend lingering on, even supposing the noise were soft background music and the food special.

2  Thank Scottju

Hello - Thank you for taking the time to review us on here. We are clearly very disappointed that your experience did not match up to what we would usually expect. If you have the time I would be grateful if you would email me info@thelangleytap.co.uk as I would like further details of when you came in so I can ascertain who was working and address some of your points. We do check our customers are happy and if you had raised any of these points at the time we would have been able to address them for you - music can be turned down as our speakers are all individually set for volume, chairs can be switched, misinterpretation of the menu can be amended or meals changed - however that opportunity has clearly passed which is a real shame. Regards Matt & Jo Lumb