All reviews tasting menu travelzoo offer anniversary stay grounds are lovely small hotel dietary requirements lovely hotel huge bed a lovely stay nice room new owners old building a ground floor room full english bed was very comfortable stayed one night breakfast was excellent
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I requested a twin room and was told I would receive a confirming email to this effect. No email came and I arrived at the hotel to find I was in a double room. The lady at reception was very helpful and in about twenty minutes the room had been arranged as a twin.
We went to the bar and asked what white wine was available. They had precisely three types. We asked if there was a better choice in the restaurant and were told no.
We sat at a table and our drinks were brought. The table was dirty and I asked if it could be cleaned. The waitress said of course and never came back.
We went through to the restaurant to have the taster menu.
Our amuse bouch was put on the table and the waitress went to walk off. We asked her if she could tell us what it was before she left!
Courses were plonked on the table rather than placed.
If you are going to do a taster menu, staff should at least have some have some finesse.
No tea bags in the room. Bulbs not working in public rooms and bedroom.
On my return home I discovered I had left my IPhone plug and cable at the hotel. I rang straight away and the receptionist checked lost property to no avail.
I rang the next day and lost property and the room were checked. Nothing found. I asked what could have happened and said I was not at all impressed.No mention was made of addressing the issue of an obvious theft with staff, which I would have thought was a natural and professional reaction..
Not a positive experience

1  Thank sparky4eva
Reviewed January 20, 2020

Lovely old Manor House in lovely surrounds, close to Bath and Bristol great access to M4. Lovely rooms and the poached eggs at breakfast just wonderful. Too many other service related problems to list, however the staff lovely in unnecessary circumstances, why no Marmalade, (ran out last week) why no Granola (all used the day before apparently) No lids on Teapots, Milk served in gravy boats, cups not clean, ordered a second bottle of wine, it didn't arrive????? I could go on. I genuinely have never left a review like this before.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank paul b
Reviewed January 19, 2020

The worst service ever - no manager. They were poorly trained, didn't care and were rabbits in the headlights. The food was good - but the serving staff had no idea what it was. Ran out of wine - finally got our fourth choice

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claudia C
Reviewed January 16, 2020

Had a lovely stay here with my partner for a little getaway. The room let us down with grubby hand prints over the walls and this was less than expected as when walking through the building it is immaculate. Also paid for a garden view and unfortunately this was just a side view of the bin-house. Other than that the staff were friendly, bed was comfy, shower was powerful and tea and coffee station was fully stocked. Overall let down by general room maintenance and lack of view but a lovely stay and I think I would return again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank lwilli558390
Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

So many issues here. Our bedroom had used tea cups with dregs, open sugar sachets, mouldy bottle of ‘filtered’ water. Bathroom hadn’t been cleaned, dirty sink/bath, leftover soap stuck to sink, filthy looking toilet brush and holder - looked like faeces smeared on outside of holder. Rusty radiators, mould on ceiling. We did have clean towels! We were offered complimentary drinks at dinner - weak g&t watered down maybe? Both dishes we wanted sold out by 7.30 - one being the main veg option. Breakfast was so unnecessarily stingy, one mushroom, half a tomato, one very cheap style veg sausage, a tiny pot of baked beans, minute portion of scrambled egg - less than one eggs worth, and a very small frozen style hash brown. Plus our cups were dirty so had to change them. I overheard someone asking for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs but told there wasn’t any. Unlimited (cheap) toast available from a machine which bulked it out somewhat. This place has such potential due to its location and historic building. It’s a shame it is being managed so poorly. Just under £100 badly spent. The info folder in our room mentioned the owner has worked in a couple of very high end hotels in London - sadly/weirdly any knowledge gained from that experience doesn’t appear to have been introduced at this hotel.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank jpk186240