“The Waiting Game”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: opened in November
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our party of ten was booked in to The Tale of Spice at 8 pm on a Friday night. When we arrived, it was clear that the restaurant was very busy! However, it also became clear, as the evening progressed, that the restaurant could not cope efficiently with the numbers they were attempting to serve.

Our drinks order was taken (eventually) and arrived with three drinks missing. It took ten minutes to get two of the missing drinks and another five minutes to get the third. We had to ask for these too, the staff didn't seem to realise that everything hadn't been delivered. At approximately 8.25, I asked if we could order and was told that we could. However, the waiter disappeared and it became apparent that there were other tables where orders hadn't been taken and the staff were going to deal with these first.

Eventually, at 8.45, our order was placed.

More waiting and, eventually, at 9.45 - an hour after we'd ordered - our meals arrived! During the period we had waited we asked on two occasions how long the food was going to be and we were told, 'It's coming'. Putting warm plates on the table ten minutes before we had the food to put on them seemed a little pointless and merely a ploy to make us think that something was going to happen.

The food was good but the wait for it was quite unacceptable and, to be honest, the staff just didn't seem concerned that we had been sitting unfed for so long. No apologies were made.

Maybe The Tale of Spice is becoming a victim of its own success and the management, in my opinion, need to ensure they can cope with the bookings they accept.

I won't be returning and I won't be recommending the retaurant to anyone!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Not been here for over a year, has it changed? Not a bit, great food, great service and sensible prices.
Coffee afterwards is a bottomless pot and given complimentary liquor to finish.
We used to use another Indian in town, but would not consider anywhere else now.
First rate, not a single even average point, never mind bad one.
Thanks guys, looking forward to our next visit.

2  Thank keithf
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Me and my better half decided to pay a visit (on recommendation) to Tale of Spice, our source informed us that on Sunday afternoon they have a £8.95 menu between 12.30 and 5, Sounded perfect to me, I have heard people talk about this place around the town and it has always been positive.

I was slightly skeptical when I pulled up, from the outside it looks run down, I wasnt even sure it was open or not. That all changed the moment I walked through the door, what a beautiful restaurant, very modern and very clean, completely different from the outside.

We looked at the menu which was VAST, so much to chose from, and alot of dishes I have never seen before, we ordered starters (Garlic Mushrooms - Amazing) and (onion bhagis - How ever that is spelt, they were really good).

For Main we decided to have 2 dishes we had never heard of, they were very mild and very fruity. Exactly as they were described, peronally it was not to my taste, but I could tell that it was what it was and what ever it was it was very good quality, just a matter of taste for me. That was accompanied with rice and naan, All this for £18 for both of us, drinks on top, it was great value.

The service was very warm and attentive from the moment we walked in the door, I really like service with a smile, that comes free... I will defiantly be going back again.

Oh...On the way out my lovely girlfriend was presented with a single red rose by the waiter. Which I thought was a lovely little touch to the end of a lovely lunchtime meal.

See you all again soon ;)

2  Thank Scottlad87
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Was staying in the area just for the one night and drove past this restaurant. Quick check on the review sites and all suggested it was a good place to it......well it certainly was. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody and I can guarantee the food is lovely. If I was ever in this part of the world again then I would certainly revisit.

2  Thank liz_woodburn
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been to the Tale of Spice numerous times over the past year or so and can honestly say I've never had a bad meal. The staff are fantastic and make you feel so welcome, the food is fantastic and the restaurant looks amazing. It's also good value and has a large car park. I cannot think of a bad thing to say about the Tale of Spice, it's just fab!

2  Thank Victoria B