“Lovely Inn.”

The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 31 Chippenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed here last week for a night on business.
Had visited the pub before on a couple of lunchtimes and so I knew that the food etc was very good, but had never tried the rooms....

First issue, mentioned by someone else I believe, is the parking. Whilst I got parked relatively easily, within 10 minutes of arriving the car park was full and people were parking down the road on the high street. My guests arrived about 7pm and had a long walk to the pub. Maybe they should reserve the parking spaces at the rear for residents only as that would help matters.

The room was lovely. It was warm and inviting and for the price it was more than acceptable. Only two issues. The shower had seen better days and really needs to be replaced with a new one. Also the walls and ceiling (I was ground floor) were paper-thin. I really am not joking, I could hear everything happening in the bedroom above me!! This could affect light sleepers quite badly...

Had breakfast here the next morning which they allowed me to have a little earlier than the advertised 7-30 AM. It was really nice and is also good to see rules bend occasionally to help customers and their needs.

Overall, I would recommend this inn but maybe take ear-plugs.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mr Fereday
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you, Mr Fereday, for taking the trouble to leave a review following your recent stay with us.

We were sorry to learn that your guests had a long walk to reach us after parking - unfortunately we have never been blessed with a large car park and whilst we take on board your comments regarding the reservation of car parking spaces for residents, this is not something that would be practical.

The room in which you stayed was converted in 2012. The sound proofing issues that you experienced have prompted us to consider further measures with a Building Surveyor, albeit the alterations carried out at the time of conversion met all relevant Building Regulations. The large walk in shower was also newly installed at that time.

We pride ourselves on being customer orientated and are glad that we were able to accommodate you for an early breakfast - thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you again when you are in the area.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Checked in last night after work and reserved table in the pub/restaurant, all OK so far, although car parking was tight on spaces and within minutes of my arrival all these were taken. Very snug and folks were double parked later on! Perhaps they should reserve some spaces for residents only?

Shown to my room which was on ground floor in the cottage (room 10). Advised the Wi-Fi code was posted on the notice, which it was. However, my iPad Wi-Fi could only see the pub router, not the one apparently in the accommodation block. Tried when in the room and the code did not work, so I could not get connected to the Wi-Fi in the room - BIG issue for me, as I am here on business and need to work in evening as well as stay in touch with friends and family.

No phone signal in room either, so with no Wi-Fi (and no hotel phone provided) meant I was effectively isolated once in the room. Not acceptable in 21st century!

The Wi-Fi does however work fine in the pub and I was able to connect here. Ate a 3 course meal in the pub, the food tasted nice and the portions were ample but I could not finish the meal.

Was subsequently very ill during the night and as this was the only meal I had taken that day I must assume my illness was caused by the food eaten at the pub.

As I was unable to sleep all night, I could therefore enjoy a good 8 hours of the NO WIFI facilities, no water, limited tea and coffee and a weak TV signal which resulted in intermittent breaking of the sound and pixelated video.

Room was also cold, although in truth this could have been because I felt unwell and was shivering. The pillows and mattress were too soft for me but may suit others.

Wardrobe was a half-sized cupboard with door that stuck and I "double-hung" my clothes to avoid them dragging on the floor. There was an iron and ironing board in there though which was a good addition.

Didn't want to chance the breakfast the next day so I just checked out. Was initially asked to pay for the full 2 nights (cheeky) but once I explained why I was leaving they were gracious enough not to insist on this.

I booked in for 2 nights here but left after 1 and would not return here. Perhaps I was unlucky, I know colleagues of mine have stayed here before and not had these issues. I would say this may suit guys more than gals, it is rather "rough and ready" and lacking the basic standards that business travellers are entitled to expect (ie facilities working as advertised and a reasonable chance of a good nights sleep). I've stayed in other local pub B&B's so have a realistic expectation - this would not be 5 * hotel - but was sorely disappointed by the quality of my stay here.

Room Tip: Don't take room 10
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kay G
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay here. We would like to respond to your comments as follows:-

Our car park does have limited parking spaces but there is usually ample on road parking as well, to be found right outside the front of the pub, on the main street through the village. Reserving resident parking spaces would not be practical and whilst you were not inconvenienced with any double parking that you mention, I see this point as irrelevant.

After you were shown to your room, you returned to the main bar area as you were unable to log on to the wifi network. Our Bar Manager returned with you to your room, whereupon it was discovered that the access code you had input to your device was incorrect. I was informed that the situation was resolved by his visit and I was not aware that you experienced any further problems connecting to the wifi until you checked out the next morning.

As with numerous other rural villages, some mobile telephone providers have better coverage than others and there is little more we can say on this subject, being that it is not within our control. You would, however, have been more than welcome to use our landline if you had importance business to attend to.

Glad that you enjoyed your meal and as our portion sizes are more than generous, I was not surprised to learn that you did not finish all three courses! I was somewhat disheartened that you chose to blame our kitchen for the self-diagnosis of your subsequent illness, especially when all of our food is cooked to order and we maintain an exceptional standard of hygiene and cleanliness. I cannot comment further on your unsubstantiated assumption that it was your meal that caused you to be unwell.

Thank you for bringing the pixellated TV to our attention and we have this morning employed the services of our local television engineer to investigate the service provided. This could have been due to a booster problem, although we had no other reports of problems with the televisions - the booster has been replaced and all appears to be working well. You mention that you had no water in your room and I can only assume that you did not find the water glasses on the hospitality tray in your room, together with enough supplies for four mugs of tea and four mugs of coffee, adequate we would have thought for one person on an overnight stay. if you had wished for bottled mineral water to take to your room, you only had to ask.

We were sorry to learn that your clothes required to be double hung - having seen the configuration of the room, you will be aware that trying to fit a bulky wardrobe in would have compromised on the other pieces of furniture such as the desk etc which we felt to be more important for our business guests. The clothes rail in the cupboard has always served guests more than adequately - it is a deep cupboard and the rail affords plenty of hanging space.

When you arrived in the morning (we thought to have breakfast), the landlord, being aware that you were staying for two nights, was initially surprised that you approached him in order to check out - he was obviously not aware of the reasons for your departure until you enlightened him. As you will appreciate, there are times when guest schedules change and cancellation fees require to be paid and this was his reason for questioning your early departure until you conversed with him. It was at this point that he rightly made the decision not to make a charge for the second night's stay because you were so dissatisifed.

Whilst we were sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we did object to your comments that the accommodation provided at our lovely village inn was 'rough and ready'. More the case, we would suggest, that it was just not what you expected and from the point of your arrival, judging by the manner in which you addressed our staff, your realisation that the bed and breakfast facilities at our traditional village inn were not what you expected meant that there was never going to be successful outcome to your stay.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a gem i found here ! Made to feel so welcome the moment i arrived, great service from all staff, great food, actually was gutted i wasn't staying longer. Was a busy saturday night and the staff couldnt do more to make me feel so welcome , I'll definitely be coming back soon if not sooner

• Stayed: November 2013
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Our thanks for providing such a glowing review which makes all the effort worthwhile! We were delighted to hear that you wish you could have stayed longer - this does provide a very good reason for you to come back and visit us again soon - so glad you enjoyed being here.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night while visiting my sister and I couldn't fault it! Accommodation is lovely, the staff are lovely and the food is lovely! The bar atmosphere is very warming and makes you feel welcome and the rooms are immaculate! I would recommend that if you're in this area you should stay here!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Connorw186
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit and I shall certainly pass on your comments to the team here. It's good to know that all of our hard work is so well received.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I planned to go to the Christian Malford bonfire & fireworks and stay with my dad, but last minute my bf surprised me and came along.
But no room at my dads for the two of us, so we needed last minute accommodation. Had a look up on line and found this little gem!!
Had a read through the reviews and thought yes that sounds perfect - especially with location only being 10 minutes from my Dads.
As soon as we arrived felt very welcome, loved the atmosphere really warm & friendly.
Immediately shown to our room (No.7) again a really warm comfortable room and clean.
We were both then asked by the gentlemen what time we would like breakfast the following morning - which we booked for 9.30am and have to say for such a little place the full English breakfast was extremely tasty! Just what was needed after a good night out with family .
Overall my bf and I had a lovely weekend and enjoyed the jolly huntsman - if we ever need accommodation again when coming to visit my Dad this is where we will book .

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We were so glad to be able to fit you in at short notice and to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us. Do come and see us again when you are visiting your Dad.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

What a great place the Jolly Huntsman is! Stayed here with colleagues on business and we found it warm, inviting, a great welcome with an amazing menu. Definitely something for everyone, we were spoilt for choice. Superb bar and the open fire was very welcome! Rooms are very clean, well appointed and very comfortable. We shall certainly be staying again and recommending it to anyone wishing to stay in the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottage but have no doubt the rooms in the main hotel would be just as good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for such a lovely review. We were delighted that you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay here and your feedback was much appreciated. Hope to welcome you again if you are in the area.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Jolly Huntsman is a great value country pub with simply stunning food. The accomodation is clean, perfectly adequate, and good value - we're talking country pub here, not a Hilton. We thought it was priced just right and felt we had got good value for our money. Helen and her staff are very nice people, very willing to make your stay a good one. The chef is phenomenal, and not a prima donna - arriving back very late on Friday he was just closing the kitchen, but stayed on to provide cheesy chips while the frier was still hot. First thing next morning he served up a superb omelette, then fillet of kangaroo the same evening. A chef who understands his priorities are the guests, nice to see. We'll be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to report back to us with such a glowing review - indeed we thoroughly enjoyed having you to stay with us! We are very lucky to have a wonderful team here and a very talented chef who understands that consistency and a willingness to accommodate people are part of the winning recipe that keeps our guests coming back! Look forward to welcoming you again soon.