“Last minute booking”

The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 28 Chippenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I planned to go to the Christian Malford bonfire & fireworks and stay with my dad, but last minute my bf surprised me and came along.
But no room at my dads for the two of us, so we needed last minute accommodation. Had a look up on line and found this little gem!!
Had a read through the reviews and thought yes that sounds perfect - especially with location only being 10 minutes from my Dads.
As soon as we arrived felt very welcome, loved the atmosphere really warm & friendly.
Immediately shown to our room (No.7) again a really warm comfortable room and clean.
We were both then asked by the gentlemen what time we would like breakfast the following morning - which we booked for 9.30am and have to say for such a little place the full English breakfast was extremely tasty! Just what was needed after a good night out with family .
Overall my bf and I had a lovely weekend and enjoyed the jolly huntsman - if we ever need accommodation again when coming to visit my Dad this is where we will book .

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We were so glad to be able to fit you in at short notice and to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us. Do come and see us again when you are visiting your Dad.

There are newer reviews for The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed November 1, 2013

What a great place the Jolly Huntsman is! Stayed here with colleagues on business and we found it warm, inviting, a great welcome with an amazing menu. Definitely something for everyone, we were spoilt for choice. Superb bar and the open fire was very welcome! Rooms are very clean, well appointed and very comfortable. We shall certainly be staying again and recommending it to anyone wishing to stay in the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottage but have no doubt the rooms in the main hotel would be just as good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for such a lovely review. We were delighted that you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay here and your feedback was much appreciated. Hope to welcome you again if you are in the area.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Jolly Huntsman is a great value country pub with simply stunning food. The accomodation is clean, perfectly adequate, and good value - we're talking country pub here, not a Hilton. We thought it was priced just right and felt we had got good value for our money. Helen and her staff are very nice people, very willing to make your stay a good one. The chef is phenomenal, and not a prima donna - arriving back very late on Friday he was just closing the kitchen, but stayed on to provide cheesy chips while the frier was still hot. First thing next morning he served up a superb omelette, then fillet of kangaroo the same evening. A chef who understands his priorities are the guests, nice to see. We'll be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to report back to us with such a glowing review - indeed we thoroughly enjoyed having you to stay with us! We are very lucky to have a wonderful team here and a very talented chef who understands that consistency and a willingness to accommodate people are part of the winning recipe that keeps our guests coming back! Look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Great food ,great accommodation ...the best landlords and staff...nowt is too much ...and the mixed grill is the best..but ham ,egg,chips is great too lol....being so close too m4 is great as only a 5min drive and you there can't wait too go ..back again soon x

Room Tip: Once you been there ...you'll understand why we love it...and keep returning
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

So good to see you both again and your review is very kind - thank you - we do pride ourselves on keeping people coming back. Also nice to see guests doing such justice to the Mixed Grill! Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed for one night here last week. I just stopped off by chance on my journey from Yorkshire to Devon. I was given a lovely apartment sitting room , bedroom , bathroom. It was really nice and completely private. I was made very welcome and felt very relaxed as I was a lady travelling alone.
The dinner was excellent best meal I have eaten out for a long time. Breakfast was also very good
all you could wish for. I am just sorry it isn't my local pub as i would eat there often. My compliments to all concerned.
PS Stayed at the Leicester Hilton on my way home you beat them by miles.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank smartiepants27
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review - it does make all the hard work worthwhile! Travelling alone can always be a little daunting and I was delighted to hear that you were happy and comfortable during your stay with us. Hope to see you again if you are in the area.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Friendly welcome, lovely room in this old country pub which gets realy busy and is signed from the main road. I ate in the retaurant aswell and the food and service could not be faulted. As I was away early the following morning I asked for a packed lunch, they did me a whopping BLT which was realy welcome the day after. I realy wanted to give it 5 out of 5 but there was no shower, bath only, and the matress sounded as if it had seen better days as the springs were creaking when you breathed. It was ok comfort wise and once asleep I had a good nights kip but it was a little wierd when it creaked as you breathed. In the Jolly Huntsmans defence I did not inform them of the metresse as I was away early in the morning and it was comfy enough to put up with.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Many thanks for your recent kind review and we were delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are somewhat reknown for our breakfast baguettes which are always very well received! Out of all of our rooms, there are only two with a bath and showerhead attachment. The majority of the rooms have a bath and shower, with the remainder benefitting from a walk in shower only. Hopefully we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you again, at which time, please let us know your preference regarding a shower and we will ensure that we allocate a suitable room to you. Thank you too for your comments relating the mattress being creaky. We have had the opportunity to check this out and whilst the mattress in question was replaced last year, these things do have a limited life and plans are in hand to replace the existing one with a memory foam version. We look forward to welcoming you again when you are in the area.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

There was a very warm welcome at this old, country Inn. We were given a suite of rooms in a detached building which gave us plenty of room, although the bedroom was a bit small. We enjoyed a meal in the pub in the evening and that was excellent, as was the breakfast which was included in the price. We would definitely stay here again as we are quite content with an slightly old fashioned establishment, which is comfortable and friendly. Not for those expecting luxury.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your recent review which is much appreciated. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meals with us. I noted your comments relating to luxury and our old 'fashionedness' and believe that our prices reflect the fact that we are an old fashioned and traditional English village inn, offering a clean and honest bed and breakfast service as opposed to a boutique or country house hotel. Hope to welcome you both again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippenham
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
#2 of 4 in Calne
Rudloe Arms
Rudloe Arms
#3 of 4 in Corsham

Been to The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!