“Our Favourite, and Possibly the Best Indian in Chippenham” 4 of 5 bubbles

Taj Mahal
Ranked #60 of 107 Restaurants in Chippenham
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
York, United Kingdom
“Our Favourite, and Possibly the Best Indian in Chippenham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I’ve been using the Taj Mahal ever since it first opened 25 years ago (in 1987). Although I’ve since moved out of the area, my wife and I visit Chippenham 3-4 times a year and we still thoroughly enjoy a meal here.

Looking at the other reviews it is clear that everyone has differing expectations as no restaurant can be ‘good’, ‘average’ and ‘poor’ at the same time! I cannot say that it’s definitely the best Indian in Chippenham because there’s one I’ve never tried, but what I can say is that it’s our favourite and the best out of all those that we have eaten at. It’s always met our expectations, we’ve never had a poor meal or bad service, and we’ve always come away feeling totally satisfied. The range of dishes is good and there’s one or two that I’ve never found anywhere else (one of which is a favourite of ours).

I visit Indian restaurants all over the country and while occasionally you find one that is unquestionably better, the Taj Mahal is, as far as we are concerned, above average in all respects.

If someone has a poor experience here then they’ve either picked a really bad day or their expectations are just too far off the mark as I’ve never had anything other than good service and good value-for-money food for 25 years!

Well done Taj Mahal for delivering 25 years of pleasure!

• Visited August 2012

“Stay away.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Having just had a take away from this restaurant I would advise anyone not to do the same! It was truly dreadful. The started were ok but cold. The main meals were dreadful. Lamb balti was swimming in grease with very little flavour. The matter paneer was clearly made with cheddar as it is had just melted into one big mess. The sides lacked taste and were also very greasy. The garlic nann had very little garlic. Please don't go here.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“Best Indian in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

For me this indian is the best in town, if you eat in or take away the food is always fantasic, i have never had a problem with taj Mahal. Would reconmend.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank paulj79
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Still the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I have been visitng the Taj Mahal for nearly 20 years and even though there is a lot of competition in Chippenham, it is, for me, the best Indian Restaurant in town.

The food is excellent, the staff are friendly and you never leave disappointed. It just goes to show that if you get the basics right you can't go far wrong.

Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Everything was fine, but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

This place defines the complete ordinary middle ground of Indian cuisine. If you pop out for a fair proced, quick and effective meal that is better than the chains go here. If you are going out for an extra special meal, go somewhere else.

Visited March 2012