“Leaves the other restaurants in Chippenham in its wake”
Review of The Bridge Brasserie - CLOSED

The Bridge Brasserie
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Restaurant & bar in Chippenham. Open lunch & dinner, serving modern English & European cuisine alongside cocktails, wines, draught ales & lagers. Easy access facilities & baby changing are available.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Each time I've sat in The Bridge Brasserie (and last night was my fourth visit) and looked out of the window, I find myself asking the same question: what is this fab little restaurant doing in Chippenham?

It sits hugger-mugger alongside the sorts of eateries that do their best business when pubs are closing; but don't let this deter you - this place is a real gem.

This chef knows how to prepare and cook fish. I'm usually in carnivorous mood when going out to eat, but the fish is so excellent here that I go for it every time. Last night's hake was flaky and satisfying, perched delicately on a bed of chargrilled courgettes with a rolled pillow of good mash potato nestling alongside.

My wife's starter of halloumi was beautifully cooked, as was the Red Mullet entrée I opted for as well. But they certainly saved the best for last as far as my wife was concerned, producing a moist, winter-warming Bread and Butter Pudding that she "adored". This from a woman who is no mean cook herself.

The wine list isn't large but well thought out to suit most palates. Our Chablis was at a perfect temperature and steely enough a partner to the fish. Front of house is warm and unfussy.

I see that they hope to move the restaurant to a new location in Chippenham. You could move this place to the keener competition of Bath or West London and it would more than hold it's own.

And the view might be better.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Visited the restaurant on 21st December for a company christmas lunch. We were welcomed with a glass of mulled wine which most people commented was very sweet. The starter (rabbit and pistachio terrine) was a bit too solid for my liking, and a bit bland. Others in the party had mussels and these looked excellent. I had the traditional christmas dinner, and the turkey appeared to be turkey roll or similar. The size of the meal was good and everything else was fine. I had cheese and biscuits, which the company paid extra for. The size of the portion I felt was a bit miserly considering that you had to pay extra for it. The bar only had bottled beer which was quite expensive, but there was nothing ordainary, everything appeared to be from exotic locations all over the workd. The japanese lager that I had was OK, but I only had one, as I would have preferred something ordainary.

There was nothing wrong with my meal, but I would have been unhappy if I had paid for it myself.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was sceptical at first (I have to admit) My family's approach to "dining out" is lacklustre to say the least, and when New Road was mentioned, my first thoughts were "oh gawd! here we go again!" But to my surprise I soon found myself sitting at a beautifully laid table, in a fairly small but very cosy, clean and well presented restaurant.
First of all came the home-made bread (possibly the nicest i've had for years) which went down a treat assuring me there were good things to come..
Next, a tomato salad with home-made infused oil.. I dont even LIKE tomatoes normally! yet I found myself enjoying every bite...
Fish next! beautifully cooked, drizzled with more heavenly....stuff (Dont ask me what it was, but it was mighty FINE)
I cannot remember what I had for pudding (as it was a while ago now) but whatever it was left me spellbound and wishing I could eat here every day.

Perhaps the most lovely thing about the experience was the strong sense of pride and passion, with the chefs and staff making time to come and talk to the guests, answering questions, telling us what things on the plate were, and how it was ALL made fresh on site (even the oils and sauces) That's right! literally everything is prepared on site, and bought in fresh from local sources wherever possible. I went away inspired, fascinated, interested, excited, and most importantly, full!
The people of Chippenham are lucky to have a restaurant as exciting as this right on thier doorsteps, and I would reccomend it to anyone. :)

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We have eaten here a number of times since they opened two years ago. To say that this is the best restaurant in Chippenham is easy, as there is nothing of this standard until you get to the Manor House, or the Michelin stars in Bath. The decor is plain; but that is sufficient.

The menu is fresh every day with locally sourced produce, and inventive flavour combinations. Steve and Chris are excellent hosts, and genuinely interested in your opinions; Chris runs a slick bar for modern cocktails with a decent (short) wine list.

The menu always has a good vegetarian option, and often includes game. Interestingly, most choices are usually good for low carb eaters, with starches available as side dishes - I wish more places did this.

Downside: the other staff usually don't have much of a clue - I once asked for a kir when Chris was out; fortunately, he is rarely away.

1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Lunch today was exceptional, starters were plentiful, well presented and tasty, mains the handmade burger was a treat with proper fries, the star was the pudding almond and pear in the lightest of pastries with clotted cream, proper espresso in decent sized cup with a reasonable bottle of Chillian red. Can;t wait to try the new restaurant next year. Had to go into the Deli next door to chose some other bits and bobs, good choices of cheese etc.