“Best for service, food and atmosphere”
Review of The Bridge Brasserie - CLOSED

The Bridge Brasserie
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant & bar in Chippenham. Open lunch & dinner, serving modern English & European cuisine alongside cocktails, wines, draught ales & lagers. Easy access facilities & baby changing are available.
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Highly recommend the restaurant. Great food, fab service and the cocktails are amazing. Working our way through the cocktail menu with each visit to the restaurant.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were a party of 9 to celebrate a birthday – there was no greeting when we arrived, our table was just pointed out to us – no one offered to take our coats – or help the ladies to be seated – the table was plain and uninspiring, no flowers, candles or anything to “dress” the table. After ordering our meals the cutlery was “plonked” beside the plates on a paper serviette as through we were in a canteen. The wine glasses were just cheap and ordinary and the same size for Red or White.
The food was generally ok, but nothing special and nothing memorable. When we left no one opened the door for us or said thank you for coming or even acknowledged that we had been there – although during the meal a guy (I think he was the chief) did come out of his kitchen and say hello, but disappeared quickly when one of our party showed him that her starter was not very good (Whitebait, over cooked and over seasoned) The chap mixing the cocktails never even looked at us and the young waiter was unable to “talk us through the menu” and got some of our order for drinks wrong.
Overall, there was nothing memorable, no ambience, no warming atmosphere and no real attention to their customers -certainly the overall standard for what purports to be a “high class establishment” was very poor and bland.
Whilst we shall be in the area again, we shall not return to this restaurant.

1  Thank Nodrog651
BridgeBrasserie, Owner at The Bridge Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your meal with us especially since another person in your party left a 5 star review only 1 week ago; in fact it was left by the birthday girl herself.
We are not in the habit of ‘dressing’ tables for birthdays, indeed having worked in the trade for nearly 15 years I have never worked anywhere which will go to the expense of preparing a table in such a manner (the exception being McDonalds). If this was something you would have liked we would of course arranged something for you, we did give your friend a flaming birthday cocktail which she mentioned in her review as being a nice surprise, I fail to see what more we could have done.
I myself dealt with the complaint regarding the whitebait & as I explained to your friend it was the nature of the flour in which we fry it & the garlic mayo would offset this, however we sold 12 other portions of whitebait that night & several customers commented that it was the ‘best whitebait they had ever had’. As for over seasoning I do not salt the whitebait at all as I find it to be a matter of personal preference hence the salt and pepper shakers on the table. I also came out at the end of the meal & spoke to your table as you were leaving, asking how your meal was. I find it sad & unusual that you would not have taken the opportunity then to express your displeasure as we could then have come to a happy arrangement in terms of discount or a complimentary meal.

Whenever we receive a poor review on Tripadvisor we take a long hard look at ourselves & use it as an opportunity to improve our business & our responses reflect that.
I’m sorry that the whitebait was not to your liking but since the plethora of complimentary reviews (including others sat at the same table that evening) praise our service, ambience and food no such soul searching will take place.

Steve Smith

Chef-owner

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We visited the Bridge Brasserie in October for my birthday together with 6 of our friends. This s a small and intimate restaurant which for me was just what I wanted. The welcome was great, service good and food excellent. I had pork belly to start followed by chicken with dauphinois potatoes and veg. Others in our group had cod cheeks and steaks which were good but two of my friends had whitebait to start and it wasn't to their liking. The staff were really good about it,offered an alternative and resolved the issue quickly and without fuss. They also gave me a special birthday cocktail which was lovely. I Would recommend this place to anyone seeking really good food in a small and friendly atmosphere. Will definitely be visiting again.

1  Thank LillyP66
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Chippenham has been crying out for some decent places to eat for a long time; this small Brasserie has really upped the class of what is available in terms of food. A friend and I ate there mid week and it was busy. The service is good and food excellent. With wine, it is not cheap but what a delight to have somewhere a bit special to go.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Had a very good relaxed evening here with lovely warm bread, great starters and mains. Wine was great too and the prices really are good for what they offer. Really loved the food however would have gained the 5th star for a little bit more of a warmer welcome from the waiter and perhaps a smile?