“Worse customer interaction I've ever witnessed and the food was bland”

Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Chippenham
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Angel Hotel is local to us, we sometimes go there for lunch when we’re shopping in town and have always been quite happy with the service and the food (the coffee could be better mind). The waiter/waitress staff are usually very helpful and friendly.

However this weekend things appear to have changed somewhat. Although the waitresses were as always, friendly and attentive, the food (soup, and sandwiches) was bland and totally without seasoning, the portions have decreased, and the prices have increased since our last visit. But worst of all, we witnessed some shocking customer interaction with a very elderly couple sitting adjacent to us.

The suited and booted manager - I assume he was a manager since he was the only member of staff in a suit - was most unhappy that the elderly couple in question had moved away from the main entrance (which I must admit was very drafty). He berated them loudly for moving tables; he was annoyed that he would have to clean another table off for them and he made his feelings perfectly clear to everyone sitting in the lounge as he huffed and puffed from one end of the room to the other . He then walked away from the couple, taking their order away with him, totally ignoring the elderly man's questions leaving them both clearly confused and upset. We found the incident upsetting ourselves, and unprofessional in the extreme.

Needless to say, we will be taking our custom elsewhere in future. So, if you are elderly or have hearing impairments, our advice is choose a table wisely before you order and don't sit near the entrance because you will get chilly!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LadyIsabellaGrace
DamianChippenham, General Manager at Best Western Plus Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear PinkGingerWiltshire,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent lunch visit. Although I disagree with your comments regarding our food as portions are as generous as ever and I feel that the standards have not changed, I appreciate that you are entitled to your opinion and respect your views.

I feel I must put across my side of the incident that you were not involved in but witnessed in the lounge. I should point out before I start that the guests concerned are quite regular and known to me, I personally have spoken to them on a future visit and they continue to use the hotel on a regular basis.

As you say the guests moved to a dirty table as I was bringing them their lunch order. As the table they were moving to had just been vacated there was nowhere to put their order down before I cleared away the dirty items. I explained this to the couple, took their food back to the kitchen and returned seconds later, cleared the table and served them their lunch.

What you are obviously not aware of is the fact that the couple, particularly the gentleman in question, are hard of hearing hence the reason you felt my voice was raised. He is also very easily confused which is why I directed most of my comments to his wife who was sat at the table at the time.

I feel your review is based on what you think you have overheard and witnessed, when not knowing the full facts about the incident and the feelings of those involved, and does not reflect what actually occurred.

If you would like to discuss this incident further I would be more than happy to do so

Damian Kaye

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Angel Hotel

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Hotel in market place next door to local history museum and close to bus station and parish church. Hotel nice and warm despite very cold outside temperature. Food good and all staff helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: Quiet, modern rooms in separate building at the back of the old hotel- have to cross open courtyard...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This place is always v good, although on the odd occasion it is absolutely packed and they maybe dont have enough staff on, bu all in all it is very good. The food is always of a consistent standard and their sandwiches which are 1.5 rounds, crisps and a dip are well worth their money! It is clean, pleasant and very accommodating.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place really looks nice with huge and comfortable rooms. Staff on check-in and bar were good. Having to leave at 6am we checked the night before and were told it would be fine. Chap who checked us out struggled with the system, credit card refunds and payment. He was pretty brusk even by 6 am standards.

Worse still the early start meant there was no hot water, heating, breakfast or even a coffee.

For the price it should do so much better. Perhaps they still live in a time where advertising both hot and cold water would be useful?

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Very nice greeting from the reception desk, prior arrival requests had all been looked after perfectly. We had a very comfortable room, warm and well equiped with all you could wish for.As for the meals , they were truly great. I must say that there are some really good chefs there and I had some of the best beef I have ever eaten. Full marks to the restaurant, the whole menu was attractive.The arrangements we had made with hotel prior to our arrival were so well fulfilled. we had a lunch for 13 of all ages and the table was so cheerfully set out, including crackers. it was another great stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: A room away from the side where the main hotel is joined to the spa should be quieter as you will no...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank colin w
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Reservations Manager went out of their way to agree to my husband's request for a particular room in the old house for our two night stay to celebrate his birthday. We had a wonderful weekend with my well-travelled daughter saying that it was her favourite hotel ever. Highlights we're the luxurious room, wonderful food, including a particularly good, swiftly-served, cooked breakfast, huge hot chocolates and a scrupulously clean swimming pool. This was a return visit which is unusual for us and tells you just how much we like it there.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old house are generally the best looking but are subject to potential noise from live m...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is my second stay in a BW+ hotel and it did not disappoint. This is a quaint hotel on the market square. very clean, comfortable and cosy. Toiletries, hairdryer and TV all provided in the rooms. Good choice of food in the restaurant which was pronounced good by a colleague who had dinner there. Nice bar area with a good selection of reasonably priced wine.
Breakfast was lovely..choice of continental or cooked.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippenham
Stanton Manor Hotel
#1 of 4 in Corsham
Rudloe Arms
Rudloe Arms
#3 of 4 in Corsham

Been to Best Western Plus Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!