“Disappointed”

Ranked #70 of 112 Restaurants in Chippenham
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Popped in for lunch on a wet Thursday and really wished we hadn’t bothered. On first impression, the hotel looks comfortable with a variety of seating. There is no table service so remember to take your table number before going to the bar. The bar staff were not particularly friendly (in fact, waiting at the bar felt like queuing at one of the well-known coffee chains). Although not particularly busy we must have waited 30 minutes for our food. The waitress went away (without asking if we needed more drinks) and we realised that one of the dishes was wrong. I went to the bar to return it – did get a slight apology – but no-one came to ask if I would prefer to have my dish taken away so that I could eat with my sister so consequently I had eaten mine (smoked haddock and spinach fishcakes – v. large and not particularly tasty) before the correct dish (goats cheese/mushroom tart – again lacking in flavour) arrived.

There didn’t seem to be any staff around when we finished so I went to Reception, which is adjacent to the seating area, to give some feedback and you know you are wasting your time when the receptionist looks up and says “Are you alright there” – my answer being “no, but thank you for asking”. What is wrong with a simple ‘good afternoon’? I gave my feedback but as I expected there was no offer to find a more senior member of staff. Also surprised to see a vast amount of dust on the table legs where we sat.

I would add that a couple behind us did not seem to be happy with their food – heard them say it was cold, they had to wait for cutlery and they did query the type of rice they were given.

All in all, a very disappointing experience.

There are newer reviews for The Angel Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I went to The Angel today for lunch and we were disappointed by their "can't do" attitude. I selected the pepperoni, mozzarella and red onion wrap and when my husband ordered he was told that it was served cold. I asked if I could have it hot and their reply was that only their baguettes are served hot, not their wraps. I asked if it could, therefore, be served in a baguette as I'd prefer it hot (being a cold October's day), but no - we were told that this wasn't possible. I cannot even begin to fathom why this would be, or indeed, why anyone would prefer this dish served cold.

I then opted for the hamburger with cheese, with the request for it to come without salad. When it arrived it was overflowing with unwanted salad and was a very thin and sorry-looking patty. It reminded me of the burgers that you buy in plastic cartons in supermarkets and zap in the microwave for 70 seconds. It was disappointing, especially considering the price.

My husband had the English cream tea and, really, it was only 'ok'. For the price, it wasn't particularly inspiring and wasn't at all well presented.

Overall, a disappointing dining experience, although the building and decor are really very nice.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

So, the food - the food is actually quite good, and when I first moved to Chippenham, I visited the hotel quite a lot, but the atmosphere is rather lacking, and some of the bar staff lack a personality (but others are quite pleasant.) I haven't been back for a while.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Always good, swift and guaranteed quality. Not an evening venue for me due to atmosphere but lovely for lunch. Go far too often! Goats cheese salad and a side of fries is spot on. Husband always has fish special and raves. Baguettes are a cut above. Wine selection is great and courtyard lovely when the weather is right.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Always enjoy going to the Angel, on this occasion I explained we were in a rush and food was brought out extremely fast and was still A1.