“two night stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chippenham
New Road Guest House
Ranked #9 of 31 Chippenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at this Guest House for 2 nights. The room was spotlessly clean and reasonably comfortable although the pillows were too hard for my liking. The supposedly ensuite that I booked turned out to be a bathroom at the end of the corridor and although I was told no-one else would use the corridor I felt a little awkward going to the toilet during the night in my pyjamas. There was another door off the corridor and I didn't know if other guests were in there or not but I felt uneasy especially as I had no lock on my door. I managed about 4 hours sleep over a 2 night period as traffic noise was bad and as the window was single glazed and had a big crack in it, it was pretty useless for shutting the noise out. I did not receive much of a welcome when I arrived as the owner was on holiday and the breakfasts were just about average
I also found my room noisy as it was just above the kitchen and around 6am the cook started preparing for breakfasts and banging around.Dont stay here if you want a quiet peaceful nights sleep.

Room Tip: It would be difficult to find a quiet room in this guest house so I couldn't advise anyone to st...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mary t
NRGH-Chippenham, Owner at New Road Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As a family business, we were all very concerned about some of the points you raised.

I am very sorry I was not here to meet you when you stayed at our guest house recently, especially as we had exchanged lots of emails before your visit and I would have liked to have met you in person. However my husband (co-owner) and mother-in-law were still here and as regular guests will know, there is always at least one family member at home helping out, including our son and daughter!

It is a shame you did not share your concerns with them at the time because they could so easily have put your mind at rest, especially over the security and privacy of your room.

We discussed your concerns about traffic noise by email before you booked and, as requested, you were given the room at the back of the house, the one furthest away from the main road. This is a very popular suite of rooms with returning guests who appreciate the extra space and privacy provided.

The entrance to this suite is via a door off the main landing to which you had the only key. There is then a short corridor linking the bedroom to a large bathroom. Apart from the bedroom and bathroom, there is only one other door leading off the corridor to a small store cupboard which is kept locked. We are sorry you did not appreciate that there was only a single entrance/exit to the suite and just how private and secure it is once that main door is locked. We will be more diligent in pointing this out to everyone in future to avoid any confusion or undue anxiety. We are very concerned that you felt insecure but you could have had a key for the bedroom door if you had asked for it, to provide additional peace of mind.

We are sorry you were disturbed by the traffic noise. But you did identify this as a potential problem before booking and I believe you weighted up the convenience to yourself of our central location against the inevitable downfalls of being on a main road in a town.

We apologise for the crack in the window but this happened shortly before your stay and we were unable to get the glass replaced as quickly as we would have liked. As for any noise from the kitchen, we cook everything to order and do not start before 7am at the earliest, so we are afraid we do not know what it was you that disturbed you at 6am.

We appreciate your comments about the comfort and cleanliness of the room. We have excellent cleaning staff who take pride in their work. Thank you for staying with us and we are sorry we could not do more to make it a better experience for you.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We booked a family room for 2 nights which was very large room that had very comfortable beds.
The guest house is a beautiful old building with a wonderful history.
We found our hosts were very friendly & helpful with loads of tips about the local area.
We used the car park at the guest house but walked down the road to the main shopping centre for dinner where there are loads of places to eat.
Breakfast was great with a good choice to choose from.
We had a super fast internet connection from our top floor room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Thank you Abercrombie Family. Your home is most welcoming. We very much enjoyed our stay at New Road Guest House. The pleasant greeting, comfortable & quiet bedroom, inviting dinning/sitting area (with it's own library) plus the garden area with parking for guests cars, all added that extra touch. Excellent Wi-Fi reception. In room TV,coffee & tea facilities, plus access to a fridge, microwave & ironing needs added to our comfort. Breakfast was very much to our liking. Cereals, yoghurts, fruit & fruit juices. Hot English breakfast plus toast & spreads if required, all cooked fresh and served with a smile. An excellent location, 5 minutes walk to the train line, 10 minutes to the shopping centre. Just far enough out of town to avoid the noisy weekend revellers. A number of "top of the line" eateries in the same street and a wine barn just over the road. Thank you for making us feel so welcome.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to visit again. M & M

Room Tip: Upstairs in the main house, a room at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Used as a base to meet up with friends. The staff are very welcoming, nothing is too much trouble. Lovely comfortable rooms with WiFi and television. Has its own parking area which is ideal as it's within walking distance of the town centre. Cooked English breakfast was excellent. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed here for a fortnight and found it very convenient from public transport and town facilities. The staff is courteous and welcoming. Great value which include home made English breakfast. The best part is the vast collection of books in the library.

Room Tip: Try avoiding rooms in the annexe block.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night but we really loved this hotel, on arrival we have such a friendly, personal welcome and the rooms are nicely decorated and very cosy. It was also one of the only hotels I've been in that has hot chocolate in the room so i was very happy. In the morning we had to leave without breakfast as we had to get to a car festival early and were already late, walking down the stairs to the kitchen were wonderful smells of a cooked breakfast and we were gutted we couldn't stay for brekky. The owners were great, v welcoming and friendly, we will come again next year and hopefully stay for longer. Really recommend this hotel. :-)

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Nice friendly service, clean room, central location, owners always on hand and very helpful, only criticism was the hard beds,but the breakfast menu is a very good start to the day.
television and Wifi was faultless.Good off road parking

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family