“Outstanding Service and Food as usual.”

Toby Carvery Hinton
Ranked #8 of 157 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Hinton. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings - including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Christchurch's favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Don't believe all you read. Some of these reviews may reflect specific times where they haven't got it quite right. The Toby Carvery in Hinton has outstanding customer services and food. The carvery has a good selection of vegetables and meats served with piping hot gravy. We have been here many many times over the last 15 years or so and we were last there in January (2014). We have never had a bad experience here. Maybe the meat could have been a bit more generous but as we got there the vegetables were being changed for fresh ones. I would recommend going there.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I don't agree with some of the comments from other reviewers. We visited Saturday night. There were 6 of us and yes we had to queue up for a while. We went up half at a time, no problem. There was a good choice of meat: Gammon, Turkey, Pork and Beef I had some of each to check them out. Plenty of veg to choose from. Peas were a little hard for me but suited everyone else in our group. 3 choices of gravy, none of which were cold. We all had a drink, 3 of us had desserts, all excellent. We had a 20% off voucher and the total bill........ £48.75. Drinks, a meal and some desserts for less than £50, no complaints from any of us. I have eaten a lot worse in other places and paid twice as much.

1  Thank Peetee67
Reviewed January 23, 2014

If you don't mind queuing up for over-cooked veg, hard roast potatoes and cold gravy from a sloppy self-serve food station then this is the place for you. If you want a lot of food piled on your plate (some people are amazing) and a really great value meal then this is also the place for you. Its about £3 more expensive if you want to go on a Sunday but at about £10 a head during the week including a drink, then this hostelry represents excellent value especially if there are a bunch of you going.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

As an infrequent visitor to Toby but a more regular returnee to my old stomping
ground that is the New Forest , I would not hesitate in recommending a Toby Carvery meal to any a weary traveller. Staff were attentive and polite although
under pressure purely through the carverys obvious popularity . Four choices
of meat !?!?! two generous portions , all you can eat veg ( eight 8 ! ) all the
trimmings and several Gravy's . £ 5.99 ! Toby congratulated .

Reviewed January 7, 2014

service: My main issue for this Toby carvery is the staff. They are either grumpy or miserable or seem stressed out, that's the waiters and the people whom cut up the meat for you. BUT on one occasion the other day, there was a older man whom was our waiter for the night and we had to leave him a tip! He was the best waiter we've had here. The waiters do their job at the end of the day, so it's not like I was neglected at a table.
food: The food is very enjoyable, the quality changes though, for example; some days we get given older Yorkshire puddings, whist others its a fresh Yorkshire. Some roast potations are earthy, whilst some are very nice. The turkey is always amazing though!
value: Over priced i think it's horrific that Sundays it's almost double the price! I went there on a Tuesday night and it only cost my boyfriend and I £16 (2 medium carvery s 2 pepsi's), whilst Sunday it was £27 (for 2 medium carvery's, 2 pepsi's & 1 sunday)
atmosphere: It gets very noisy and can get very crowded there. I just love the fact that they have a photo from the old BBC TV series Red Dwarf on their wall (try and find it if you go!) It made my night when i noticed it.
romance: umm its somewhat romantic, go on a week day and there will only be a few tables of people scattered around.
special occasions: I can imagine it'll be very nice here for parties or group get together's, birthdays or what not.

I dont know if they take reservations, i assume they do.
they kind of do a delivery, you go there and fill up card board boxes of what you want to take away. My boyfriend and i thought it was a joke at first but no. Seems like a good idea now though.
I assume they are open till take.