Ship in Distress
Ranked #58 of 157 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the website of The Ship in Distress, award winning Seafood Restaurant and Gastro Pub.Described on more than one occasion as "absolutely superb",our award winning fish and seafood restaurant has a remarkable history.Dating back over 300 years this one time smugglers pub is steeped in history and local folklore and has been featured on television and film, as well as being mentioned in many books written about smuggling.These days however we have developed this beautiful old building in to one of the best restaurants in the south of England. The quality of our fresh local fish and seafood is second to none. Our menu changes with the tide and is prepared according to what freshly caught fish, crab and lobster are available from local fishermen each day.However, if you are not a fish lover then please don't worry, we always have a selection of mouth watering meat and vegetarian dishes available.We are also proud to announce that under the expert guidance of our Proprietor, Maggie Wheeler and her team, we have been awarded the prestigious "Two Rosettes Award" by The Automobile Association for the excellence of our cuisine. We also feature in the ever popular "Alistair Sawday Guide to Pubs and Inns of England and Wales", a "must have" book for lovers of good pubs and food.Lunches are served every day from noon until 2.00pm and dinner from 7pm until 9.30pm (last orders). Advance booking is recommended.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We ate here as the hotel restaurant we were staying at was full which was a good thing in the end ... excellent food and great value - my wife ordered the lobster which was very well prepared and took most of the evening to finish. The service was slightly longer than some people would like but the waitresses were very present and the main thing was that it was cooked fresh and tasted great. Recommended.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have returned back to the ship in distress multiple times dureing my visits to Bournemouth, each time the meal has been delicious. I love the area and comfort of the pub. Would recommend to anyone. A great community has been built up with the pub.

2  Thank Samred1
Reviewed July 7, 2013

On arrival waitress could have been more cheerful I have to say!
We had booked our table and had stressed that we wanted 2 whole lobsters and not half shell!
Starters first were Baked Mushroom with Goats Cheese (which we changed to Cheddar)
Duck Pate with Toast .
Nothing out of the ordinary here as 1 Mushroom hidden under bed of Rosemary
Pate served with stone cold sliced brown bread. Too much cold toast for me.
Lobster Thermidor absolutely wonderful - Plenty of sauce and so beautifully cooked and plenty of fresh vegetables new potatoes broccoli cauliflower green beans mange toute carrots - In fact I complimented the Chef on leaving restaurant as it was a perfect dinner
The service was a bit slow although only about half a dozen customers including us.
See through aquarium in dining room with view through it to kitchen bit of a novelty.

2  Thank Robert190737
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I visited the ship in distress with my husband.
Although the pub and restaurant were very busy, we felt at ease as soon as we arrived. A member of the restaurant staff, greeted us with a smile, showed us to our seats, left us with our menus and then returned to take our drink orders.

My husband was unsure what to eat, so he asked the waitress her recommendations he chose lobster served with a cheese sauce, that looked and tasted amazing.

I had prawn stir fry, served with oyster sauce, this was delicious. For desert we shared a sticky toffee pudding and can only describe this in one word - 'yummy'

All in all a lovely relaxed evening, with good staff, great food what more can u ask for!
Well worth a visit, we will most defiantly b going back.,

1  Thank Freedom222
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had a great night there celebrating a birthday party with a group of friends. The food was excellent had nothing but compliments from friends (and two of them are really fussy eaters).
I had the scallops with garlic butter to start, they where divine followed by the seafood thermidor.
Lovely chunks of seafood and fish. Didn't have room for pudding unfortunately but will definitely be returning. The staff where lovely and friendly.

2  Thank RachelMudeford