“Awesome ! This must be Britains best kept secret”

Captain's Club Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Bristol
“Awesome ! This must be Britains best kept secret”
Reviewed May 21, 2009

HAving stayed in many Hotels across the UK , not once have I ever felt compelled to write a review such as this .
We travelled with friends who had booked this visit as a surprise birthday present.. and what a surprise it was . The location OH MY GOD .. " Do places like this actually exist in Britain ?" The staff were just amazing all highly polished yet relaxed and friendly, nothing was too much trouble.. the hotel welcomed my beautiful labrador ( a hotel of this standard and they will alllow , infact welcome with big cuddles ..dogs !!
The food was outstanding with a huge menu choice to satisfy all tastes . I had a wonderful seabass dish with , my partner had lemon sole with gnocci and broad beans... he said it was the best fish he has ever had !!
The spa treatment was to die for i was so relaxed i struggled to pick up my glass of pink champagne on the terrace ,( only for a second ) We sat and watched the boats sail up and down the river till the sun went down.. wow.
The next day Maurice ( my partner ) had arranged a surprise trip on the Hotels own Boat to the isle of wight .. I couldnt believe it. CAptain Chris was great , funny and extremely experienced and Sean our crew served us with A cream Tea as we say watching the other boats for nearly two hours .. it was paradise.
I could go on but want to keep just some of my special moments at this wondeful hotel my own special memories..
Thank you all at the hotel we will be back .. and back... and back !!!!!!!

Jane and Maurice

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
London
Reviewed May 8, 2009

This 'hotel' is a big ugly box in the middle of a massive car park. Swarms of chavs surround it, its overpriced to make them feel comfortable and the staff are rude. The 80's decor in the restaurant is also very tacky.

Upon arrival I politely asked to cancel the booking and the rude staff member charged me for the room and breakfast! When I questioned this she said I should be thankful she didn't charge me for the full 3 days.
When I explained to her that I was canceling because the country walks nearby, the quaint town and beautiful lakeside location were all falsely advertised, she went silent and then said she would send me a bill in the post.

What a wasted trip to Dorset! As it was a bank holiday weekend everywhere else was booked up and so I had to drive all the way back to London, preferring to pay almost £200 to sleep in my own bed than stay at this 'hotel' that resembles a small leisure centre.

I would only recommend this hotel to someone I did not like.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gem-welltravelled
Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This hotel shines out from others in a similar class by the helpfulness and professionalism of the staff. To be greeted by name, remembered, and helped at all turns is a revelation in todays crowded market.
The Restaurant is outstanding- a short menu, but everything cooked with care and using truly high quality ingredients. It is busy with locals as well as residents.
The room was comfortable, my only small displeasure was with the bathroom-form over function? I could not lie down in the short, modern bath and the trendy glass sink splashed badly!
As the room has full length windows which open fully with a view of the river, it may be worth noting there is a public walkway and the hotel terrace directly below the first-floor bedrooms, and some noise is inevitable when the windows are open.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We recently spent a weekend at the Captain's Club, and I have to say I was very impressed. Pretty much everything was of a very high standard, and the one significant thing that wasn't was dealt with extremely professionally (of which more later).

First impression was great: I was greeted by name as soon as I walked through the door. Pretty impressive given that I had never been there before. We arrived fairly late and I guess I was probably among the last to check-in that day, so I can't assume the staff have magical psychic powers, but the fact they clearly took the trouble to see who was yet to check in that evening is a great sign of their customer focus and attention to detail.

We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a suite, which was pretty amazing. I think it's the only time I've stayed in a hotel room with 2 bathrooms, and the whole thing was kitted out to a high standard. Oddly, no minibar, although there was a fridge with a couple of bottles of water in it, which is all I personally care about anyway. There was a room service cocktail menu that would no doubt satisfy anyone who would have missed the opportunity to have a little tipple in their room.

We ate in the hotel both evenings, once in the bar and once in the restaurant. In the bar, we had a plate of tapas to share for starters, which was fantastic, followed by cod and chips for Mrs Maximus and a burger for me. I'm told the cod was good, but the burger was rather disappointing, tasting more like something you'd get from the freezer department at Lidl than the sort of home-made prime beef you'd expect in a place like this (of which more later). The restaurant meal, however, was pretty much flawless all round. I had a very tasty crayfish Caesar salad to start, followed by an absolutely heavenly ribeye steak. I honestly don't think I've had a better steak since I was in Argentina over 4 years ago. The service was very friendly and professional, the only slight lapse from perfection being that we had to top up our own wine glasses a couple of times. Still, there are worse hardships one could endure.

The location is great if you like boats. The hotel is right on the river, and it seems to be possible to moor directly at the hotel (although we weren't doing anything in boats, so I can't comment on what that's like).

Mrs Maximus used the spa facilities for a bit of girly pampering, which she seemed to think was a real treat.

The staff were friendly and professional throughout, but they got particularly high marks when we were checking out. I told Lisa, their receptionist, that I had been very happy with everything except the burger, which had been a bit of a disappointment. I mentioned this not because I wanted to complain, but merely because I feel that a place of this quality probably relies on honest customer feedback if they want to keep on top of their game. Nonetheless, Lisa instantly offered to take the price of the wine we'd had with the burger off the bill by way of an apology (which I had neither asked for nor expected), and explained that the burgers were usually excellent but she would discuss with the chef whether anything had gone wrong that night (maybe they'd run out of their homemade burgers and had to use an emergency backup supply from the freezer). That really is a great model of how to do customer service, and I probably left the hotel more impressed with them than I would have been if I'd had a better burger in the first place.

On the whole, I was extremely happy with my stay here. It's not cheap, and if you're looking for a budget hotel you'll need to stay elsewhere, but I certainly felt I'd had my money's worth.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Bexleyheath England
Reviewed February 18, 2009

THE HOTEL. Very modern, lovely position, fantastic service, excellent food. We stayed for 3 nights and had a package deal that included Dinner and use of the spa. We had room 118 which was a standard room but very big, with floor to ceiling windows giving a great view of the river. All the rooms face the river and are very well appointed. Kept spotless by the staff. Keep your eye out, lots of famous people stay there, just look through their visitors book!!
THE RESTAURANT. lovely fresh food, for breakfast I had smoked haddock and poached eggs one day which was superb. Evening meals were really nice, not a massive menu but all sourced locally and fresh.
THE STAFF. All really nice especially Andy the restaurant manager. Very professional staff and obviously enjoy working there which always helps.
CHRISTCHURCH. Nice town, we found another Hotel called The Kings hotel which has a really nice restaurant as well, we ate in this the first night. The restaurant is owned by Gary Rhodes. Recommended.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2009

First found out about this in a weekend supplement. Looked up the reviews on Tripadviser and my decision was made.

I booked one night as a birthday treat for my wife's birthday. On entering the room I truly was surprised at the size, It had two bed, 2 bathroom, 3 HD TV's and a kitchen with a dishwasher. The only thing I was expecting was the river view.

We spent the afternoon in the spa, sauna and hydrotherapy pool.
My wife had a treatment which see thought was lovely.

Also had a great meal in Tides restaurant.

Would highly recommend.

• Liked — Rooms, Spa & the atmosphere in Tides restaurant
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2009

We live reasonably locally and stayed here after coming across a ridiculously cheap promotional deal.

All members of staff, in all areas of the hotel came across as genuinely warm and friendly. Many in the service industry could learn a lot here.

We stayed in a standard room, which was stylish and modern. All rooms are on the same side of the hotel, and so have a riverside view. Provision of a robe and slippers is always a winner with me!

Included in the room rate is use of the hydrotherapy pool (massive jacuzzi) and sauna.

I cannot praise the restaurant enough. Both the food and service were top notch.

My only slight annoyance was the noise. There was a function on in the hotel, and this noise was clearly heard in our room. It did end by midnight, but soundproofing in the room is not good at all. In addition, it was a fairly windy night, and I could hear things clunking around in the wee small hours (boats on the river perhaps?). Not a showstopper, but enough to annoy a light sleeper.

• Liked — Food in the restaurant; service throughout the hotel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Premier Inn Christchurch / Highcliffe Hotel

Been to Captain's Club Hotel? Share your experiences!