On our infrequent visits to Christchurch we eat at The Boathouse which is always excellent but, yesterday, due to there being a funfair on the grass in front and a loud rock band, decided to give the Captain's Club a go. BIG MISTAKE. Cheerful waitress greeted us and we sat outside next to the Wick Ferry at a table which had not been cleared. Had to summon another waitress over to ask for menus and table to be cleared, which she did but overlooked giving it a wipeover!A further wait so had to summon her again to say we'd like to order. She said she would get someone to take our order. What on earth her purpose is at the Club we could not fathom as she just seemed to stand around. The cheerful one then came over to take our order and we finally had it delivered - one beef sandwich @ £9 served on obviously bread from the day before and so full of mustard that could hardly taste the beef. Other half ordered the spicey chicken cajun wrap, which he said was tasteless and certainly not spicey. The two small capuccino coffees came in tiny tea cups - outrageously overpriced. We asked for the bill and told the girl who came that the bread was stale and dry (and sliced far too thickly) and the cajun chicken wrap was tasteless. The bill came to £21.60 and we did not leave a tip. The whole place was lacking in some way - charmless and very badly managed. A lovely sunny Saturday was spoilt and we will not be back. The Boathouse is 100 times better and far cheaper.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern 4 star luxury hotel and spa in Christchurch, Dorset. Overlooking the river Stour and located in the historic town of Christchurch, Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is a small independent luxury hotel with a nautical twist. The hotel features 12 two and three bedroom luxury suites, each with separate lounge/living areas, and a selection of hotel rooms. Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is home to one of the best bars in Christchurch with award-winning mixologist and Bar Manager, Tommo, at its helm. They also have a 2 AA rosette restaurant, event facilities for up to 100, and a spa complete with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, and treatment rooms. All accommodation and event spaces face out onto the River Stour so no matter what you are travelling to Captain’s Club for, you are guaranteed a beautiful view. The alfresco dining terrace is open all summer and provides the perfect location to soak up the atmosphere of life on the river. This Christchurch hotel is family-friendly and rooms/suites are dog-friendly ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Captain's Club Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Captains Hotel Christchurch
- The Captains Hotel
- Captain's Club Hotel Christchurch, Dorset