“Good value accommodation”

Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just had a 2 night stay in an executive room. Very large pub with good local atmosphere and good selection of ales and food. Our room was located in the main building and was quite pleasant of a good size large bed, slightly dated decor but clean and comfortable. Bathroom however was very modern grey and white tiles large walk in shower and plenty of amenity kits more than you get in most 4-5* hotels.

We ate on the first night in the restaurant which just happened to be the jazz night. Quite enjoyable even if like me you are not a big Jazz fan, although at the age of 40 I felt like a youngster the average age must have been 75! But all good fun.

Food was pretty good nice choice and plenty of local produce used. I had Duck egg on black pudding for starters which was simple but delicious the wife had whitebait also really good. For mains I had a venison steak which was locally sourced cooked to perfection and served with chips. The chips were the only let down tasting very strongly of oil and being a little soggy. Wife's moussaka was good and my dessert of sticky toffee pudding was lovely. Breakfast was full English on both mornings cooked to order and very good, pastries and cereals,fruits yogurts also available.

Over all I really enjoyed my stay and must say that all the staff we encountered were really polite and friendly, even the cleaner asked us if we enjoyed our stay and wished us a good day! How good is that? Never in my 40 years has that ever happened to me credit to the management as staff customer focus is very good and believe me I'm a fussy git.

So if you are looking for good value accommodation with decent simple local food you would do well to give the Fisherman's Haunt a try.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed here with our two dogs on a Sunday night for a very reasonable rate (even including the dog supplement). The ground-floor room was handy for taking the dogs out and had plenty of room to set up a crate and a bed. Large bed, TV, free wi-fi and a good bathroom and shower (though I'd prefer a shower screen to a curtain), hair dryer by a mirror and everything worked.

We both had a light meal (starter and dessert) in the bar, a good choice of food and beer and very enjoyable, as was breakfast in the conservatory. No problems with having our dogs with us in either case. All the staff were very friendly and accommodating and we were made to feel very welcome. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MB58
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I have just come back from a Friday and Saturday night at the Fisherman's Haunt and found it delightful.
Our room was excellent, quiet, immaculately clean, a very comfortable bed, bottles of water each day, plenty of useful bathroom goodies and easily adjustable and efficient heating.
We ate in the restaurant both nights, it was good, reasonably priced, excellent service and a really nice atmosphere. There was a large party booked in on the Saturday night but this had no impact on the quality or wait for our dinner.
Breakfast was good, they were happy to supply us with a continental, left in our room for Sunday morning as we had to leave very early.
The staff were really friendly but at the same time efficient and professional. always a difficult balance.
The value for money was exceptional, even if someone gave me an unlimited budget I would stay here again over anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have visited the hotel with my cousins John who is 86 and his wife Joan who is 92 over the past two years for lunch as they always spoke highly of the meals and service on their visits every week or fortnight. They are now in a retirement home and cannot drive anymore so my wife and I came up from Devon for a day to take them out for lunch at "The Fisherman's Haunt" again.We were horrified at the price and small portions of the Lamb main course;sweets were overpriced as were the drinks.New management we were told !Young waitress was charming and helpful. Beautiful pub but won't be visiting again unless things change. Thurs 21st Feb 2013. Visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2013

so pleased we booked this little gem, value for money and more!. we stayed for one night and wished it was more as the next hotel we stayed the following night did not even come close, even though prices similar.
Staff helpful and nice even when we ate in the bar, they still asked if we where happy with everything. food in bar was good.
rooms warm and incredible value , love the thoughtful little touches as previously mentioned , beds soft and sooo comfortable , products very good quality and plentiful.
Breakfast first class all locally sourced and plentiful also a suggestion to help yourself to fruit to take away . what a find this was. first class and excellent value

Room Tip: we had upstairs room , small but well put together.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Impressed with the room size (room 2), fresh milk, chocolate bar, fresh coffee and quality of the toiletries (and range!) in the room. Only critisisms of the room would be a couple of stains on the carpet (and one on the throw) possibly due to it being a dog friendly room and the lack of control of the temperature as the thermostat wasn't working so the radiator was on full blast all night which meant a broken nights sleep (this was mentioned to reception staff so hopefully this gets fixed). As per previous comments sound proofing in the rooms isn't that great either.

Really enjoyed a meal in the restaurant in the evening (although did think £24.95 for fillet steak plus £1.95 for sauch (which was needed) was a bit steep) but it was very tasty all the same. The pub/restaurant had candles lit all around it and the fire late afternoon so it felt really cosy and welcoming.

The staff were really friendly and chatty and welcomed our dog who we could have taken down with us for dinner if we'd wanted.

The Full English Breakfast looked delicious - I asked for porridge (which they were out of) but they made me some very tasty scrambled eggs which I enjoyed and the fresh chocolate pastrys were yummy.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2013

just to say we called in for lunch on monday , what great staff we were made very welcome ,as always , the best ham egg and chips and its hand carved ham !! and realy fresh eggs so fresh it made me buy some for the bar as thay have a shop .

Room Tip: we only had lunch didnt stay as were local .
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
#1 of 11 in Christchurch
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
#18 of 66 in Bournemouth

Been to Fisherman's Haunt Hotel? Share your experiences!