“Lovely celebration.”

Ranked #15 of 155 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We booked for afternoon tea at The Captains Club to celebrate our 44th Wedding Anniversary.
We were hoping to sit outside overlooking the river. There was no room outside and in fact we were very pleased we didn't, as it was so hot and not every table had parasols.
However, we were given a very nice window table.
Our tea consisted of a selection of 'finger sandwiches', two yummy scones (one plain and one fruit) cream and jam (in the usual small jar), and a selection of four pastries.
We both had our own three tier sandwich/cake stand.
(Not sure if the pastries were made in the hotel but they were delicious)!
If there is a negative, it was just that our pots of tea came about 10 minutes before the food, which, by the time we got to the end of the food, the tea was a little 'stewed'!
However, I am sure if we had asked for fresh it would have been served.
The waiter came up a couple of times, asking if all was OK.
For us that was enough as we hate the staff fussing around.
All in all a very relaxing and pleasant afternoon.
Will definitely think about going for lunch or evening meal.

AJAitken, General Manager at Upper Deck at The Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

We are so pleased you enjoyed your celebration with us and we could make your day as special as it should of been. We look forward to the next time.

There are newer reviews for Upper Deck at The Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 19, 2014

A celebratory cream tea made more special by the fabulous views, excellent care and superb facilities at this venue,
Many thanks.

Thank you so much for the great review the whole team is delighted to read your positive comments and it has given everyone huge motivation to ensure we keep doing what we are doing.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was looking forward to celebrating my friend's birthday with a cream tea but it was disappointing.
Three of us had the basic cream tea but when it arrived we had only one scoop of clotted cream between us. The service was adequate but not what I would have expected from a quality hotel. Although the surroundings were very pleasant the local garden centre offers Afternoon Tea which is much better value.

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that we did not meet expectations. I can assure you that the team will take on board all comments and do our best to ensure we improve in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We ordered the afternoon tea which was excellent. All tasted fresh and home made.
The service just let's it down a bit compared to other excellent hotels.
It just feels that slightly bit disorganised and as if the staff need training in serving at table. An example is the waiter poured my husbands water across me instead of moving to his glass.
The last time we went for tea here we had a bone china tea pot, but this time it was a old stainless steel teapot. These things might seem unimportant but if the occasion is special it just makes the experience just that little bit memorable.

AJAitken, General Manager at Upper Deck at The Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you so much for coming back to the upper deck, I am pleased that on the whole you have enjoyed your experience with us. I can assure you the service elements you mention are being addressed and that staff training is being done to ensure the same mistakes are not repeated.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I decided to go to Upper Deck with my best friend to celebrate her birthday. That was a suprise afternoon tea. I would never thought that this place would offer such an amazing food and even better service!!! Drinks were good too. She was very pleased and relaxed too to be in such a great place. I will definately visit this place again. Thank you for making her day so special.

AJAitken, General Manager at Upper Deck at The Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thank you so much for the great review the whole team has enjoyed reading your kind words, its great to se yet another positive afternoon tea review.

We look forward to welcoming you all back hopefully soon.