“Lovely Pizza, very pleasant and helpful staff on a busy Friday night!”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #64 of 157 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Having not been used to socialising regularly at the classic weekend times, I hadnt even considered whether or not Id get a table when I turned up at 8pm on Friday evening. Der!
It was pretty busy but there were some empty tables in the window, two seaters. Again, stupidly assuming they were simply free, I was told by the Maitre d, all the currently free tables were booked and guests soon to arrive. He did say that the earliest he could honestly suggest I would get a table was half an hour. He was a very pleasant and patient considering the pressure he and his staff were under at that time.
But I had the time, asked to wait and asked if I could have a drink in the meantime, trouble is, there is no actual bar area. Under pressure still, he let me sit at a free table near the door, all the while anxious that his guests who had booked it might arrive.
They were very attentive to me and I was seated in about 20 minutes. I had the hot and spicy normal pizza and their new Polenta chips which I love.
A note of warning to Tesco voucher users! I had unknowingly got 20pounds worth of tesco token but because of its format as an app, the restaurant can only accept it in one lump and cannot give change. Had I had half the value on my phone, I could simply have paid the little extra in cash over the 10pound voucher. So as not to lose out on the voucher, I then ordered a sundae that I didnt really want, lovely as it was, and gained several pounds on the scales instead!!!!
My waitress was Katie and she was very efficient and pleasant. A very nice experience and I will happily return, and consider booking in future. Trouble is as readers of my reviews will realise, I tend to do things rather unplanned!

4  Thank Gail T

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Entering the restaurant on a Saturday afternoon around 4:45pm, not very busy, plenty of empty tables. After waiting for nearly 10 minutes a young lad with a clipboard came deal with seating us. I asked if he had a table free for 2 people, he then asked if we had booked.
I said no, and he puffed out his cheeks and tutted, checked his clipboard and walked off, towards the centre of the restaurant, the phone rang, and he then answered that call. Leaving us waiting again.
We left at this point. I was annoyed for a few reasons. Firstly, if I had booked I would have said I had a table booked, not asked if there was a table available, this makes me think the young man "serving" us was not very experienced. I also don't want to be made to feel I have done something wrong by not booking, or be made to feel like he is doing me a favour by finding me a table, he is doing his job.
Secondly, we went and ate elsewhere and two hours later, the free tables in Pizza Express were still available, not suprising really.
But mostly, I really like pizza express and have never had this sort of issue at any other pizza express, including some of the busy London branches, they are normally always polite, try to find you a table, or let you know when one may be available. Christchurch branch is worth staying away from if you're after this kind of service.
What's next, will I be expected to book my seat in Macdonalds next?

2  Thank Roger T
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We visited this Pizza Express for the first time since it opened last year, we were certainly not disappointed. Our Waiter Robert was excellent nothing was too much trouble in making sure everything was to our likely. The food prepared by the Chef was both hot and plentiful, what more can you ask for. The building is modern, light and airy. The toilet are well maintained and cleaned, could not fault this meal. Will visit this restaurant again in the future. Well done and Thanks to you all

9  Thank ianexamsBournemouth
Reviewed December 30, 2012

friendly, helpful, welcoming, staff. excellent choice of menu.excellent value for money.
lovely furnishings and surroundings.Quite busy but very quick friendly service.

6  Thank 186262Samanthah
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have now visited on two occasions and both times the staff were friendly and helpful. Wanja was our very sweet waitress and Pieter is the manager who does really try to make you feel welcome. The food tasted fresh and was well prepared. This is not a Gourmet Restaurant, so judge it for what it is - a clean and well run "Pizza Joint" with great Pizza, cold beer and decent wine. So far we have only visited mid week and later in the evening. Both times it was quiet and the subdued lighting makes for a convivial and relaxing atmosphere. I understand that it gets very busy on Friday and Saturday evenings - only to be expected, I think the more quieter times, will do me nicely.

5  Thank RoyGoff