“It's a restaurant with rooms really”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lord Bute Hotel

and 1 more site!
Lord Bute Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Lancashire/Yorkshire border
“It's a restaurant with rooms really”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were expecting something rather different - I had in mind a country house type hotel but close to the beach.

It's actually a good restaurant with a few rooms and not very much parking. The beach is not accessable from the hotel and is a shortish walk away through a residential area.

So, not what was expected but pleasant enough. Nowhere really to spend time comfortably in a lounge though passing the time of day or reading etc. Wasn't that easy to get coffees or drinks from the bar during the day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Enfield
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had an impromptu dinner at the Lord Bute and it was wonderful. The food and service - totally excellent and most reasonably priced. I will definitely visit again and plan to stay a night or two in the hotel next time. We were recommended by a lady I met in the street when I tried to book another restaurant that was full ! I am so glad I asked her if she knew anywhere else we could go.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband booked this hotel back in May this year and had a midweek break. I have to say this was a great find and allowed us to visit this area of the South Coast round Bournemouth and the New Forest with complete ease.

The hotel was a great find and we will certainly stop again. The staff are most delightful and the rooms are of an exceptional standard. I recommend having an evening meal as the food is quite superb and they also have a great wine list. Breakfast is great and is cooked fresh and served to you. Smoked Salmon and scrambled eggs was my favourite.

If you book here then you will not be disappointed. We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Recommended this hotel. It is really a posh restaurant (in which service was first rate) with some rooms attached. No other faciities for guests. No wake up call, no newspapers, and reception only staffed during the day - overall impression is of a shoestring operation wiht insufficient staff. No room service or local information in room. Hotel is somewhat isolated. Room was nice and bed comfortable but not well equipped for 5* - wifi poor and shower was dirty. Not what we expected. Good value, but only because they were doing a 3 for 2 offer. Restaurant food was excellent and, whilst somewhat dated decor, service on the whol excellent - one or two stand out members of staff. Go there for lunch or dinner as can be good value - stay somewhere else. Finally, my wife was rushed to hospital on ur last night unable to breath - not the hotel's fault but there are no staff around at night. They knew this had happened but I received no follow up to check all ok - indeed when I asked for a small extension on check out time (as we had spent 5 hours in A&E and arrived back at 6am having had no sleep, they said they could not help, needing 4 hours to "clean our room" before the next guests checked in - awful - there are many places out there more keen for your business.

Room Tip: We had a large double - you wuld not want anything smaller
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roland G
LordBute, Owner at Lord Bute Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We were very distressed to read your very damning review of our business. We do not
purport to say we are a Five Star Hotel. We are very proud of the fact that we are
officially listed wth the AA as a Five Star Guest Accommodation. Indeed our very
competitive pricing supports this. You were infact paying £38.00 per night, per person
including Full English Breakfast. We believe that this offers remarkably good value.
Our rooms are spotlessly clean and we have inspected the shower in the room you
stayed which had a minor leak from the control panel which has now been repaired.
We are confused that you consider that we are in a 'remote' location, we are within a
few minutes walk for Highcliffe On Sea (a borough of Christchurch) three miles from
the centre of Christchurch and five miles from Bournemouth.
We employ over 20 staff to service the Restaurant and the thirteen rooms which is by
no means as you say 'being operated on a shoe string'. The reception is not manned
overnight between midnight and 7am, however there is a 24hour emergency number
which is promoted clearly in every room and also at the entrance to the reception.
This has never previously presented a problem in over 20 years the business has
been operating.
It is clear within the guest information folder provided in each room that 'wake up calls'
and newspapers can be ordered.
All our rooms offer excellant facilities as required by the AA official guest accommodation
rating.
Southampton
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We have recently stayed at The Lord Bute. We had never stayed before but we took advantage of their mid-week 3 nights for the price of 2 offer. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. The food (dinner and breakfast) was exceptionally good and the staff we welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. We will defininitely be back and will recommend to family and friengs

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank andm611
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Let me start off that this is not my account but a friends I normaly do not write reviews but in this case I thought that it was needed and maybe the owners are not aware how badly managed this place is.

I have eaten at the Lord Bute on many occasions as I only live down the road and have always found it to be very pleasent. My husband and I have also stayed at the Lord Bute in the Gate Lodge Suite 5 years ago and found everything to good apart from 1 lady who I found to be slightly frosty.

I recently returned on the 19th July 2012 with my 2 daughters and my mother, we had the family room. At the time of booking I was quoted £145.00 and was told I would have to pay for an extra breakfast because there was 4 adults in the room, which was fine.

We were all going for a spa day away when we decided that we would stay the night at the Lord Bute as I had stayed before and it was very nice.

The next morning we all went for breakfast but only 3 of us actually had anything. On going to breakfast we came across a woman sat on the sofa reading the newspaper, (later found it was the manager) we all said good morning to her but instead of greeting us with a good morning back as you would expect from a manager (we did not know that at the time) she just looked up at us gave a sickly grin and returned to reading her paper. The breakfast itself was ok however service was rather on the slow side and with only a couple of tables in.

While we were waiting for our food we overheard the manageress talking in a rather rude and sarcastic tone to her staff, in my opinion not something that should be done while in the presence of guests or at any time.

As I went to pay I found on my bill that I had been charged an additional £35, I asked what for as the extra breakfast should we have had it, was not worth £35. I was told that it was for the extra housekeeping that was needed. WHAT FOR??? The dirty carpet, The fact that I had to put up extra bed and make it, Not enough toiletries for 2 let alone 4, No face cloths and Cobwebs.

I asked to see the manager and all she did was to raise her arms at me and said she was too busy. (this comeing from a woman who from what I could see did not do anything but sit and read a newspaper)

I have worked in hospitality all my working life most of which was at management level. I have never come across such rude and bad service. There is more to management then just walking around and trying to look important.

To the owners, don't let bad management ruin your wonderfull establishment.

Room Tip: Family room does not reflect the other luxurious rooms. Avoid manageress at all costs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Carla M
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

The service is amazing and extremely personal, the rooms are gorgeous and the food is quite simple Devine. Staff are always on hand if you need something and you couldnt ask for more. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Dannybless
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Premier Inn Christchurch (East) Hotel

Been to Lord Bute Hotel? Share your experiences!