“Birthday Dinner”

Ranked #3 of 151 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Seafood, Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The restaurant at Avon Beach - now known as the Noisy Lobster - offers breakfast, lunch, light bites and dinner where patrons can enjoy one of the best views in the area.At the Avon Beach resort we also offer beach huts, an ice-cream parlour, seaside shop and takeaway cabin with a decking area to enjoy a great day at the beach.
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

For my wife's birthday we decided to go to Avon Beach as we had heard that it was under new management and was now open for dinner in the evenings. We arrived in the car park which was pitch black and had difficulty using the machine to pay for our parking,not an auspicious start to the evening. The restaurant has been refurbished and was pleasantly decorated and we were made welcome by friendly staff.
The menu though not extensive, was varied and caters for most choices. From fish through vegetarian dishes to meat. For my starter I chose the Charcuterie which while not earth shattering was adequate. My main was lamb shank served on a bed of mashed potato with a delicious ju.
I would have preferred it served on a plate instead of a soup bowl as the whole dish became rather stodgy as I attempted to remove the meat from the bone. However the whole was cooked well and I enjoyed the meal.
The service was discreet and friendly and the atmosphere quiet with an under tone of conversation, most enjoyable.
There were a couple of rough edges during the evening but I am sure these will be smoothed out as the establishment gains more experience.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Peter A

Bedford UK
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband & I visited the Avon Beach on Saturday evening. The cafe is now open on Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings.
We have a lovely evening there. The cafe resorts to a bistro after 6pm.
The food was excellent, with choices from the evening menu or the daily specials.
The service was excellent, & we also met one of the owners who told us about the forthcoming plans for the cafe.
It was so nice to have the cafe used to it's full potential for evening meals other than an all day breakfast.
Lovely atmosphere, & the bistro was quite busy.
Will most definitely return.

1 Thank Sumpta
Dorset, UK
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We've been using this cafe for over 20 years, since we moved to Dorset, and love walking on the beach, particularly in the winter, with our dog, stopping to warm up for a coffee in the cafe. Not sure what they are "trying to be", but we don't like it!! It was much better as a self service cafe, the waitress today actually said in a loud voice for all to hear that she "had a memory like a sieve", which just about said it all!. A family on the next table to us asked for milkshakes for their two children, and were advised that they don't serve them. This is also the second time on a Sunday afternoon that we noticed that they had run out of cakes and biscuits, which never used to happen before.

The whole atmosphere has changed too, with depressing looking grey paintwork, no artwork or any kind of decoration - drab, drab, drab! We'll probably start to use one of the other cafes on the beach.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank Dorset_UKSue
“Change for the better? We'll see in the summer”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We have been using this cafe for over 20 years. It always was a place to go any time of year for brunch. Today we made our usual 4 times a year pilgrimage to find it has all changed. Initial reaction was horror but we were welcomed and show to a table. Horror number 2 came with a glance at the menu NO MEGGA BREAKFAST AFTER NOON! But surprise, surprise we had a fabulous lunch of fish & chips and scampi & chips cooked perfectly and very well presented and at the same price as the MEGGA.
I agree with other comments regarding the summer trade, I don't think they will cope but for off season dining it is well worth a visit.

2 Thank Shian2010
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Avon Beach Cafe - Not any more”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

When staying in Mudeford my wife and I always visited the Avon Beach Cafe - good food, prompt service, relaxed atmosphere. Not any more. Newly introduced table service not working at peak periods, chaos and confusion, slower turnover of tables, potential customers turning away. Also quality of food cheapened, Not good.

New owners have totally missed the point. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Just rake in the money.

• Visited January 2013