“Avoid”

Ranked #20 of 33 Christchurch B&B and Inns
south england
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Well I need to go out by 5pm so ...........avoid! Smells bad inside. Cow smell outside acceptable, but the inside smell is wet dog. And the cobwebs I'm sure are holding up the building ! The shower pours water on the bathroom floor because the shower tray is in round the wrong way! Carpets stained. DEAD flowers in lounge and breakfast room. Breakfast IS NOT FREE as in reviews and is very over priced.......london prices! Sorry to say room we had, had fleas in it! Theres no point in talking to owners as they think you are wrong, if they didnt previous reviews would be untrue

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank kemp26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were really looking forward to staying the night in what looked like an excellent place .We had our granddaughter with us for a special weekend, and had booked a family room. The room we were shown had dreadful stains on the carpet and, we were offered a mattress on the floor for our granddaughter. When we said that was not satisfactory the lady went off to speak to her husband. We went downstairs and looked into the dinning room, which again had stains on the carpet, so we decided not to stay..The owner got very abusive with my husband and told him if we left not to expect any money back.
We were expecting a lovely weekend in a small personal hotel with gourmet food .what a disappointment. Such a pity we didn't look at trip advisor before we booked. It would have told us all we needed to know. How true the comments are. These people should not be in business, and certainly will not be if this is their attitude to costumers

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Heather C

Travelers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Heronshaw House has so much potential - sadly the owners have an over inflated sense of importance and can be downright rude at times. We were made to feel like we were a nuisance and that they were doing us some sort of favour letting us stay there. Despite the fact we had paid a small fortune! Since booking they had obviously changed their check-in times - I wasn't aware of the specific 2 hour window - and it does not state this on my booking form. I received quite a lot of verbal abuse from the owner which was very unexpected and upsetting - he was right of course - I learned there is no point arguing with someone who calls himself 'Chief'. If you leave the lights on in the lounges (which no one has asked you to turn off) that causes problems too. Breakfast is mediocre at best and on the plus side the beds are comfortable - the best bit about Heronshaw House is the moment you get to leave again. Do not be deceived by their website and price tag!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank VSmith879
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Dirty carpets throughout. Very bare basic room, house in need of much TLC. Over priced. No evening meal available. Tea & coffee making facility in room but builders mugs provided. Breakfast was average. Will not be returning!

Room Tip: Unless you are happy with basic but costly, look elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tom F
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and myself took his parents to Bournemouth as we had bought them tickets to see James Last. We spent quite a while on the internet searching for a hotel to stay at. My husband chose a few but I 'overuled' his choices as I felt that Heronshaw House looked more their 'cup of tea'. How disappointed I was then when we arrived to be told (after we had parked the car and removed all our baggage) that the kitchen was closed as the chef was 'incapacitated'. The host was a very welcoming man and kindly offered to book us a table at a local pub. This was very disappointing as we were looking forward to the gourmet food and also meant that on a very rare weekend away, one of us would be unable to have a couple of drinks due to having to drive to the said pub. We found the hotel and it's surroundings very picturesque though, agree with other's reviews in that we had no tv and no tea and coffee making facilities. The shower and facilities were nice though not spotless! Water also flooded our bathroom floor and the blind was not quite big enough to cover the whole window. The host welcomed us back from our meal out and served drinks but then said he was going to bed, leaving us to turn the lights off etc, this didn't really bother us but it did dawn on us later that we hadn't a clue as to how to get hold of him should we need him for anything and as I recall, there was no phone in the room either - furthermore, despite searching, we couldn't see any sign on the bedroom (back of the door usually) showing you the fire exits etc. Breakfast was lovely, homemade muesli, fresh fruit, yoghurt, fruit juice and a very tasty fry up. All in all, it wasn't a disaster but I do have to say, I felt ever so slightly miffed that we had paid quite a high price for very average accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alfiebas
Walkern, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have given this hosterly an "average" based on my single night experience some of which was very good and other parts not so good.
I was warmly welcomed by the proprietor, however was greeted with reference to travelling up the road for dinner. I had looked at the website and find it quite misleading as 5 of the 7 pictures at the top are of food. Bearing in mind it is in the middle of the countryside, I would have expected to have the option of something to eat if I had given the opportunity of ordering in advance. Perhaps a notification on the website that it is strictly a bed and breakfast would be a good idea.

My bedroom was lovely, with a double shower and king size bed. I found the tea and coffee making tray, however the milk was missing and I didnt discover this until bedtime so it was too late to ask for any. The kettle was situated on one of the bedside tables and I thought this was a little dangerous. The bathroom had a lovely double walk in shower, however the neighbouring rooms bathroom was obviously cojoined (with a wall separating), as I could hear everything my neighbour was doing in the bathroom. Breakfast was lovely - homemade granola, fresh fruit and yoghurt etc, followed by a lovely full english breakfast. I didnt see any toast though there was butter on the table.
We had a nice walk up the lane after we arrived, that is unfortunately spoiled by some fly tipping.
I paid £105 for one night's stay which I think is a tad on the expensive side when little things like milk and toast were overlooked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Melanie B
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed overnight at Heronshaw House, it's very peaceful and tranquil. There are no televisions in the rooms and no white toast at breakfast!! The owners are very friendly and avid dog lovers (they have four). Bit expensive for what it is we thought.

Room Tip: All the rooms would be very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suzannelouis_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Premier Inn Christchurch (East) Hotel
#3 of 33 in Christchurch
Grosvenor Lodge Guest House
Grosvenor Lodge Guest House
#9 of 33 in Christchurch

Been to Heronshaw House? Share your experiences!