“Thai-tastic dog friendly pub and restaurant”
Review of The Nelson Tavern

The Nelson Tavern
Ranked #33 of 157 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The newly refurbished Nelson Tavern is now serving a locally sourced menu, cooked fresh by our experienced gastro chef. Family and dog friendly, Cask Ales, Sunday Roasts, and a Friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were visiting relatives in Bournemouth and as we have a dog we often look for somewhere to eat that allows dogs inside. The Nelson Tavern allows dogs in the bar area and had a good range of tables to choose from.
There were four of us plus the dog and we sat down with the menu which was really extensive with lots of Thai food and also an English food selection. The prices were reasonable with mains from about £7.
Now we did have quite a wait for our food but what was really pleasing was a member of staff came to us and explained why we were having to wait and apologised for the inconvenience which is all a customer needs is a little explanation so you dont feel like you have been over looked.
The food was fab i had a crab salad starter and a stir fry king prawn noodle side dish as a main course. My only negative was the smell of cigarettes that came in through the back door but we were sitting on the table very near the door.
The restaurant looked very well decorated and i believe the prices are the same in there for the food.
parking is at the side of the pub and there is an ample number of spaces.
overall i wouldnt hesitate to go there again.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The food at the Nelson was excellent, but the service was disappointing. It wasn't that the staff were slow, or inefficient, they were running around as fast as they could, it's just that there were only two of them, not enough for a Saturday evening; luckily, the restaurant wasn't full - goodness knows how long it would have taken to get served if it had been.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My title says it all - I have eaten and been for drinks in this on several occasions and it progressively gets worse to the point now that I have reached the "never again" stage. The food is forgettable - the Thai food is stodgy and the Sunday roast kept warm for longer than any fresh vegetable deserves. Never complain, the landlord will argue with you in-front of other customers and never buy your designated driver a non-alcoholic drink - he charges £2.20 for soda water!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We called in for lunch one day and food, drink, service etc. was exemplary - in fact so good was our experience that I had no hesitation in booking a table for the next evening.

Unfortunately when we arrived the pub was heaving with well oiled and foul mouthed clientele.
We eventually got to our table in the restaurant after half an hour and were seated in a dining area that can only be described as sterile and were located adjacent to the french doors to the garden.
It was a sunny evening and the doors were open allowing the ingress of copious amounts of cigarette smoke and a cold draft (despite the sun) however when we raised this as an issue with the staff they did close the doors promptly.
Our order was taken after a wait of half an hour and our starters were delivered to our table a further half hour after that. The quality of the ingredients was OK but the presentation was abysmal. My culinary skills are virtually non existent but I'm convinced I could have presented the food in a more aesthetic and appetising manner.
We then endured a further protracted wait until being informed that one of the main courses that had been ordered 90 minutes earlier was no longer available.

I then complained to the owner about the level of service we had/continued to receive and informed him that if our main courses were not presented to our table within the next five minutes we would be leaving.
The owner did apologise (somewhat reluctantly) and provided a string of excuses and when did receive our main courses it was fairly obvious that they had been thrown together at the last minute.

We will not be going back!!

1  Thank Happy186349
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Just been to dinner here with my wife. We received a warm welcome from the friendly staff who were polite and chatty. There are two menus to choose from - Traditional Pub or Thai food which gives you lots of options! At no point did we feel like we were waiting around - at the same time we didnt feel rushed either - which is a hard balance to achieve. Once our orders were taken our food arrived very promptly. I had the chicken in black bean and my wife had a Thai Green curry. Both were delicious! My wife also had a strawberry cheesecake for desert which lived up to the precedence set by the mains. Price was very reasonable and like I said, the service throughout was exceptional enough to make me want to come and write a review straight away.
The Pub seemed to have a great local atmosphere with the restaurant area being a bit more formal which was nice.
Will definetly be going back there next time were in the area. Thanks to the staff for a lovely meal.