“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed with my mother at the wonderful Christchurch Harbour Hotel recently and, after two excellent dinners in the hotel restaurant, we decided to splash out on our final night and dine at the Jetty. It was so disappointing that we wished that we had not bothered. Our table was booked for 8.30 and at 9 o'clock the charmless and disinterested restaurant manager came to take our order. He actually belched as he was writing it down! At 9.30 he came back to say that my mother's souffle had collapsed and they would prepare some nibbles for us to have whilst we waited for another one to be made. These were very good and the best part about the evening as far as I was concerned! Our starters eventually arrived - my 'Potted Jetty' consisted of potted shrimps (fine) and potted crab (also fine) and some completely tasteless potted mackerel which I left. Old Charmer himself came by to ask if everything was all right and I told him what I thought. His response was to stick his nose in the air and walk off! Main courses arrived at 10.30 by which time we were beyond being hungry as we'd had the nibbles and starter. In my case this was just as well as the Halibut and Scallop with tempura oyster (£22) consisted of a two inch square of halibut, one scallop sliced into three, and one tempura oyster with a few pared vegetables and some hideously over-reduced sauce. To be fair to the chef, my mother's souffle was delicious and her lamb canon very good. We couldn't wait to get out of there and, although we very much hope to return to the hotel, we will be giving the Jetty a wide berth!

AJAitken, General Manager at The Jetty, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for joining us at the jetty, i apologise it wasn't the experience you had hoped and that we normally give. Its a great shame that you didnt enjoy but it is great to see you enjoyed the hotel we very much share the same ethos having the same f&b director and executive chef.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

It's so nice to know of a special place to lunch that never let's us down. The views over the harbour are unique, the welcome is warm, the servers are attentive without being annoying, food is always beautifully presented and well cooked. Yes parking can be a problem but a small price to pay. All our family & friends have been impressed and even father in law was complementary - a first in the UK! The menu is varied - the special themes are well worth trying and the soufflés are simply and consistently the best I have ever tasted.

Thank you so much for the great review, its very rewarding to see reviews like this after coming upto three years now consistency is are main goal. Thanks again and we look forward to getting it right again for you.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The food here speaks volumes, there is not a lot more to say other than you will not be disappointed by the quality of food on offer. Highly recommended.

Thank you so much it is a very rewarding line to read and all involved are very happy to read.

We look forward to breaking our record next time you are hear and giving the best meal you have ever eaten again!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Jetty is one of our favourite restaurants but just misses being excellent for a few reasons which I shall go into later. Our latest visit was an example of what I mean. We went with two guests; the greeting, as usual, was welcoming and pleasant and we were conducted to our table as if we were indeed very special. The service was good without being over-friendly and the food, again as usual, was excellent. And, of course, the setting overlooking the bay is splendid. It is all so good that perhaps one should not carp, but what is wrong could so easily be put right that it should be mentioned. Perhaps I have a bit of a 'bete noire' about this but the waiters do tend to serve across one rather than taking a few steps to avoid doing this and serving and taking away from the correct side. For instance,as an example, on this occasion the person serving the wine gave me the taster, and when I said it was all right, served everyone from the same position. This is just unacceptable in a restaurant of this standing. Secondly, the portions do vary tremendously in size. There does not appear to be any portion control, and nobody appears to be be able to offer any advice when ordering with the result that on this visit the person with the biggest appetite received a very small dish, whereas one of the smaller eaters ended up with a plateful! And the staff should really be more careful to whom they present the bill. Although I was obviously the host, the bill was just plonked down in front of one of our guests, who picked it up and looked at it before he could be stopped, causing embarrassment all round. This is not the first visit when this has happened. Parking can be difficult - be warned.

Thank you so much for joining us and taking the time to write about us on TA. I am pleased you enjoy the jetty as much as you do and its great to see the positives.

Although dissappointed to read the negatives you are very correct and this should never happen, its not what is practiced and i can assure you that all staff have had this re-iterated to them on the correct restaurant etiquette

Many thanks for the constructive feedback and we hope next time you come you see the improvements.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lunched here with husband and daughter. Didn't have a booking and it was half term so was pleased when we managed to get a table. My starter of crab & avocado tian was tiny at around £6 and the avodcao was inedible & hard. When they came to take away our plates I pointed it out but didn't even get an apology, just a "ok I'll let the chef know" ! We then waited almost 25mins to our main course. When we chased it up (as we had to be back in Bournemouth for an appointment) we were told abruptly by the waiter "yes its coming, its coming !" Our daughter's main course was very dry, like it had sat around for a while under the hot lamp. My blanquette of seafood had two small pieces of white fish and one prawn, two small pieces of carrot and one small piece of courgette in a beurre blanc sauce which was very sickly - like too much cream and was more like a broth than a sauce. Not very much food for very high prices and though I am sure you are paying for the location here, right at the water's edge, the view does not make up for the poor service and poor food.

Thank you so much for joining us at the jetty restaurant, i am so sorry to hear of your less than satisfactory experience with us. This is certainly not what we practice and will ensure your constructive feedback is used to make certain this type of experience does not happen again.

We very much hope we can have you back to ensure you see what the jetty is really about.