“Special Sunday lunch”

The Kings Arms Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kings Arms Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 150 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Alex Aitken from Le Poussin, Limewood and The Jetty, is now in charge of the food and menus at The Kings Restaurant.The Restaurant serves the very best local and seasonal food – with sophisticated simplicity and a unique and charming English setting, overlooking the Kings Arms Bowling Green and historical castle ruins.The Kings Restaurant is honoured to introduce the new 'Josper Grill', a technique that imparts a distinctive charcoal flavour to all the local and handpicked ingredients placed upon its coals. The delicious menu makes use of the very best local ingredients either caught, grown or prepared close to Christchurch from the New Forest and the waters of the South Coast.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Special Sunday lunch”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We tried the 15 mile/£15 menu and were very pleased we did. Smoked Fish Pâté and Shredded Salami for starters, very nice, the Salami was not shredded but then ... what are knives and forks for? Lovely chutney too. Main courses were Roast Beef with all the trimmings and Chicken Breast and Chips, both were beautifully cooked, the beef was very tender, the chicken was very juicy! I think the chips were frozen, saves time but I always think they are an odd thing for a quality restaurant to use. Desserts were Pannacotta for him, Strawberries and Cream for me. Both were very nice. A good, if limited choice, and you could always try the Daily Specials, they looked good and were still reasonably priced. Service was good, easy to catch the eye of the waiting staff when you need anything but then again they were not very busy. Would definitely come back again.

Visited July 2013
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and quality of service we provided. In addition I have passed on your feedback to our chef regarding the chips for his consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kindest regards,

• Polish first
Amsterdam
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“perfect weekend”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Last weekend stayed here for the weekend. The evening started with a perfect dinner. The service was perfect, the food was very tasty and I really liked the atmosphere. The hotel gave us a great experience. Thank you!.

Visited June 2013
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comment.

I will pass your praise of the service on to the rest of the team and we hope that you will visit us agin in the near future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointing night out”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We went as a party of 7, service was vey slow, a starter of buck rarebit was far to big and heavy for a starter but tasted ok, chateaubriand for 2 was very very disappointing, very tough, we complained and the chef agreed with ourselves, in view of that I would not have expected to pay for that dish, we were given 50per cent off which surprises me as it wasn't only 50 per cent which was tough it was all tough!!! The service was painfully slow the explanation given was that they were very busy,!,!,!, surely on a Saturday night you should be prepared for a busy night? We were told that the service charge had been taken off the bill?? Strange that because service charge is discretionary so we would have not paid it in any event, so in fact they were giving us nothing? A bill of 290.00 was far to expensive for food of this quality better of travelling to Poole to the hotel and bar du vin which has a similar atmosphere but is in a different league to this place, they also have a fascination for eggs? The starter section had 3 starters all with eggs on? That to me is bad menu planning, would not return.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Marcrogers
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I apologise on behalf of the whole team for your bad experience here at The Kings, all of your comments will be taken on board so that we can continue to make improvements.

Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Well worth trying the Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I had the "15 mile, £15" Sunday lunch here just recently. This was our second visit for a Sunday lunch, we very much enjoyed our first and I am pleased to say our second visit met our expectations.

Do not put off by the relatively low price. Admittedly the menu choice is limited but the food was of good quality, well cooked and well presented.

In our opinion the meal was far superior to many Sunday lunches that can be had locally costing considerably more.

My one complaint was that the roast potatoes had that distinctive flavour you get from frozen ones.

The restaurant does not have a romantic feel but the staff were very efficient and friendly.

As with most restaurants it is advisable to reserve a table in advance, especially on a Sunday.

• Visited June 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am happy to know that over all you enjoyed your Sunday Lunch with us at The Kings.
All of your comments are taken on board so that we can keep making improvements.

We hope to see you again soon.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Evening meal”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My Wife ate here one evening as were staying down the road at The Christchurch Spa Hotel and this is its Sister Hotel. Found this place wanting. The atmosphere was lacking somewhat but I couldnt quite put my finger on it. The food was not as good as its big Sister. The Duck starter was fine but the fish & chips was a disappointment. The fish was fine but the chips were the size of small canoes and the menu described the peas as smashed but came as normal peas. Not a big task I know to smash them myself but how the menu described the dish implied it would arrive plated with some care but it just arrived !

Visited June 2013
2 Thank ChrisJ36
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, I apologise that your experience was not of 100% satisfactory, we do try our best to ensure every guest has an enjoyable experience. We hope you consider returning to us in the near future so we can demonstrate the high quality service and food we aim to deliver.

Kindest regards