“Excellent meal and great service”

The Kings Arms Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 157 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Alex Aitken from Le Poussin, Limewood and The Jetty, is now in charge of the food and menus at The Kings Restaurant.The Restaurant serves the very best local and seasonal food – with sophisticated simplicity and a unique and charming English setting, overlooking the Kings Arms Bowling Green and historical castle ruins.The Kings Restaurant is honoured to introduce the new 'Josper Grill', a technique that imparts a distinctive charcoal flavour to all the local and handpicked ingredients placed upon its coals. The delicious menu makes use of the very best local ingredients either caught, grown or prepared close to Christchurch from the New Forest and the waters of the South Coast.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked for an anniversary celebration, although they did not know that. The welcome was sincere and the service was first rate throughout. We enjoyed a very tasty meal having opted for the fish board after an initial thought of going for the 15 mile menu. the fish was cooked just right and it was a wide selection to share.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We have eaten here for sunday lunch twice now and had pleasant and relaxing experiences both times. The food is wonderful, and the staff are attentive. We have 2 young (fussy) children and the chef is happy to provide them with alternative options which is a huge bonus.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Having eaten at various Alex Aitken restaurants, we were really looking forward to trying this one with a couple of good friends.The waitress had no idea, gathering all four coats in one arm at our table and trying to give us two menus each.....and all before we had even sat down!We were then pestered every couple of minutes with "have you decided yet?". It should have been obvious that we hadn't. She told us that both Merlots were out of stock and had no idea(again) about the merits of other wines which we mentioned.The food from the "15" menu looked unusual in it's combinations, but we tried it anyway. The portions were MINISCULE for both starters and mains.Almost devoid of any serious flavour, too.
.I thought "nouvelle cuisine"(small portions and large prices) had gone out of fashion years ago, but it's being revived in Christchurch. In reality I suspect Alex Aitken has little to do with this kitchen. Avoid.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was expecting much more from the 15mile/£15 pound menu. The portions were very small...the gravadlax that 2 of my companions had, was a miniscule portion. My salt cod fish cake was very tasty and served on a bed of leaves but was hardly filling and the portion of clotted cream served with the frangipane tart required magnification.....it was a miniscule blob.

All very good for the figure, but really it was no more than a three course tasting menu.

Extras (houmous, popcorn) were offered at additional price and not taken in an effort to keep costs down (we were all on a budget) but with drinks it all came out to between £25- £30 a head.

The food may be local, but one could hardly taste it/see it. After a couple of mouthfuls it was gone...a clever way of ensuring that guests do not stay too long and retaining profit by keeping the protein content of food to a minimum.

I was disappointed...I expected better given the advertising!

Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for writing review on TA. After your comment we have reviewed the dishes on the menu, revised the dishes to improve the portion size and still keeping with our 15mile radius ethic.

Regards
Ian and Lukasz

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We called in here on a tuesday evening without booking. We were shown to a pleasant table given two glasses of tap water (which we had requested) whilst we considered the menu. There was an A la carte menu and the £15/15 mile option, we elected to have 1 course each from the A la carte. My wife had a scallop & crab risotto which was quite good (£17.95) and I had a small fillet of Sea Bream (£16.50). We ordered a bottle of Chliean Savignon blanc which was served by our pleasant but amature waitress in such a way that we didn't see the label. Only after we had started drinking it did I look at the label to discover that it was Chenin Blanc & costing £8 more than the wine we had ordered! When I mentioned this to the maitre de he was going to remove this wine and bring us the wine we had ordered but eventually ALLOWED us to keep it and agreed to charge for the less expensive wine. We also ordered olives and bread & a mixed leaf salad, which were good, pushing the bill upto £67, including the 'optional' 10% service charge that is included in your bill!
We won't be going again!

Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for taking time to write on TA. I am glad that you have enjoyed the risotto and sea bream as a main course, topping that with our local sourced olives and breads.
I am so sorry for the misunderstanding with the wine, however I am very happy that my staff was proactive and corrected the error which was made.
I am disappointed that you have found us overpriced. Perhaps you can give us a second chance and try our best valued “15 mile menu” and have a drink on me.

Best Regards