“Acceptable”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cheese & Alfies

Cheese & Alfies
Reserve with OpenTable
Cheese & Alfies is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 149 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
West Parley, United Kingdom
“Acceptable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Decided to eat here for dinner after a couple of friends spoke so highly of it.

I managed to book a table for a Friday evening at rather short notice which was a plus.

Decor was very different, slightly quirky and was a good talking point and made for a more interesting and less conventional setup.

As we waited for our first course a few people got turned away as there were no tables, so it built up a positive perception.

There were 3 of us who had starters and mains only.

There is nothing to complain about the food, but it didn't for me live up to the hype.

My starter of Scallops and Black Pudding Risotto was lovely and it was followed (unconventionally I know) by a Cajun burger. It was nice, if a little too blackened for my personal taste. But I can only go as far as nice it certainly did't blow me away.

There was a mix up with one burger whereby they brought a different burger to the table than was requested, but promptly dealt with.

One of our party had a fish dish of the specials menu and was very pleased saying it was tasty and filling.

Service was ok, not exceptional. What I can presume was the owner strutting around with sunglasses on his head all evening. Not a biggie but not exactly professional, but perhaps fitted well with the relaxed atmosphere. Also odd that when the food was brought to the table the waitress made the comment that all the sauces were home made, which is positive but felt the comment was a little out of place. Maybe should have told us this as ordering the food.

When it came to paying the bill despite there being 3 of us they did allow me to use a popular discount card which meant the cheapest starter and main was free.

All in all the visit was acceptable. I would eat there again but I would not rave about it. I possibly went in with to high expectations based on what friends had said.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jon L

Billericay, United Kingdom
“Best burger ever !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Popped in here lunch. Friendly welcome, nice, eclectic surroundings. I had the burger which they warned takes 20 mins to cook but as the waitress said, it was worth the wait. My partner had the beer battered hake which was also fantastic, very light crispy batter. All food was piping hot and service was friendly. There were lots of things on the menu that I wanted to try but was spoilt for choice. Will go there again next time I'm in New Forest.

• Visited June 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A real Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

On a recent trip to Christchurch with my wife we stumbled upon this wonderful cafe/restaurant when trying to avoid the rain and find a light lunch. The welcome was first class and the options available were a refreshing change. The Canadian pancakes with fresh fruit and maple syrup were beyond comment and worth making the trip again. I would recomend Cheese and Alfies to anyone.

Visited May 2013
Dorset
“Quirky cafe - and more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We have visited this cafe/restaurant many times, and have always enjoyed the slightly quirky atmosphere and imaginative food. Love the tea served in big enamel pots, and the home made cakes are excellent. Be warned, the bread on sandwiches is extremely chunky(but very tasty). I also rate their burgers as the best I have ever had - there is a wait for them as they are homemade, but they are worth the wait!
Occasionally the service is a bit slow, especially when we have been upstairs, so that is why it didn't quite get excellent, but staff are usually very pleasant. Well worth a visit.

Visited May 2013
Hayle, United Kingdom
“Christchurch's little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

After visiting a friend in Christchurch we proceeded to cheese and Alfie's for breakfast, knowing how amazing the food is!! Upon our arrival, our taste buds were totally ready for the legendary 'pans'. My partner had the 'big pan' and I had 'pan haggarty' - what can I say, the food is incredible and gets every taste bud going! The service as always is friendly and relaxed, awesome atmosphere, very funky little cafe/restaurant , brilliant signs. The homemade food is lovely. Would recommend to anyone who wants to go somewhere where the staff are super friendly and for food that is out of this world! Mmm!! :o)

• Visited May 2013