“2 DAY SPA BREAK”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked this trip as my Wife was in need of a "chill out" and we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived to the time we left were looked after very well. We had taken an offer for a 2 night stay to include breakfast the first night meal allowance of £30 ph as well as a bottle of champagne in the room on arrival. We found the room to be very clean and a good size as well as the bathroom being a nice size with a bath and shower over. The shower was more than powerful enough to satisfy me. Though the room was situated on the side there wasn't any noise even with the window open. We chose to dine in the upper deck both at lunch and in the evening and were not disappointed with the food. I have read many of the previous reviews and would agree when busy the car park can be quite full. I also note that some people were waiting for food etc and would agree it does not always arrive at the drop of a hat, but it does arrive. The spa facilities are more than adequate and I guess it may be dark to help one relax before going for the many treatments on offer. I do agree that the full English breakfast could do with a rethink on serving. Baked beans all over bacon & a tasteless sausage were the only gripe I have but that could be rectified. All in all a great stay and it did what it says on the tin because my Wife is now de-stressed :).Would have given 5 green circles if the English breakfast had been up to scratch, please note all other breakfast options were very good.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 205 on the first floor, no view worth speaking of but quite & clean room and we d...
1  Thank ChrisJ36
Write a ReviewReviews (1,939)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Some of the best service I have ever encountered- the evening meal was a lesson in subtlety with waiter upon waiter quietly delivering their part of our wonderfully prepared meal. The room was freshly and stylishly decorated, the pool was of a good size, unlike many in hotels, and was accompanied by fun pampering rooms- the unusual salt grotto deserves a mention. Our treatments were expertly given in the calming environs of the Harbour spa, and breakfast on the terrace in Mediterranean sunshine, overlooking the sea fringed with fir trees, was a sublime finish to our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Lovely hotel in a beautiful location but as previous reviews it could be improved . I requested a room in the newer part of the hotel and it was confirmed in my telephone call that all the rooms had been refurbished in the hotel not just the newer part . On arrival this was clearly not the case . We were allocated a gold de-lux room ( as booked ) that can only be described as shabby . We were moved to a room twice the size and with a large balcony which was much better thankfully but still a little tired and it does beg the question why was the previous room the same price at half the size and at a much inferior standard . Building work in the hotel was noisy and intrusive during the day , the pool was closed for cleaning on one morning ( a hotel charging theses prices should have had that done overnight ) . We asked to use the kayaks which were free for residents but they could not locate the key for the life jackets so we were advised we could hire a kayack from the Quay at a charge ( ! ), they then found the keys just as we were leaving for the Quay . The second morning at breakfast our tea and toast did not arrive nor was our order for hot food taken until we raised it after people arriving later than us were receiving their hot food . There were guests sitting at the outside tables not cleared from the previous guests as apparently they were understaffed , but hardly four star service and no apology given .

At £530.00 for two nights (even allowing for the fact you do pay for the fabulous location) the building work , shabby rooms and poor service were a disappointment and I have to agree with other reviewers that this hotel is overpriced at this present time .

I will say the meals and the service in the evening both in the Upper Deck and the Jetty restaurant were superb and probably saved the what would have been disappointment for a stay in what was for us a special occasion and hopefully would have become a special hotel to return to , but we would not stay here again .

Room Tip: Beware of the inconsistency in the standards and prices for the same category rooms , higher floors...
1  Thank Rosie162
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I can thoroughly recommend this hotel .There was a mix up over our booking but this was swiftly sorted . We were able to get into our rooms early to get ready for a wedding .The hotels setting is perfect .we had a garden room , so could sit outside .
Lovely breakfast ,fresh fruit and perfect poached eggs , looking over the harbour . We took our tea onto the terrace afterwards then made use of the spa facilities. . For a relaxing holiday , this a perfect place.
We found the staff to be friendly and attentive .
Can also recommend eating at the Jetty restaurant .

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stella E
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked a night in a four poster gold seaview room to celebrate my birthday. The rate included £30 each towards dinner in the Upper Deck restaurant, breakfast and a 55 mins spa treatment.

We arrived early at the hotel and were plesantly surprised to be able to check straight in to our room. The room was stunning. Very modern, clean and luxurious. Bath tub in the bedroom over looking the sea. Four poster bed, bathroom with double monsoon style shower, and sitting area over looking the sea.

My husband booked a hot stone massage and I booked a full body detox wrap. We both enjoyed our treatments. The spa was very small with only a few places to sit and relax. We did try to use the relaxation room instead but the spa staff were having their break in there and we were told to come back!! Not impressed at that.

In the afternoon we had a couple of drinks on the sundeck, service was excellent.

Later we ate in the Upper Deck restaurant. Both the food and service exceeded our expectations. The prawn cocktail was delicious, unlike any I have ever tasted. They had run out of lobster, so the chef did me 5 huge tiger prawns instead.....they were amazing! Then at the end of the evening the waiter bought me a plate of fudge and fruit with Happy Birthday written in chocolate, which was a lovely surprise!

Breakfast the next morning was great. You help yourself to fruit, cereals, juices etc. Then your hot breakfast order is taken from the waiting staff.....I like this as it is all cooked to order and not sitting around on a buffet. Again, service and food was brilliant.

I would definately recommend this hotel if you are looking for a relaxing get away with great food and service.

Room Tip: Seaview room without a doubt
1  Thank SGMANN
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a day out from Stratford and I certainly wasnt disappointed. Enjoyed a drink and some nibbles on the terrace looking over the sea. The sun was shining and the hotel was just beautiful. Cant wait to come again and stay next time!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel is good with a lovely location and views over the harbour. It was tastefully decorated and very clean. The food in the restaurant was very enjoyable. It was good to have an indoor pool.
That said, it sets out to be better than just good and I am sure it could be, but for me there were just too many small things which a more professional and attentive management would have surely addressed, and a few other points that I found really irritating.
I should say I am not one of those reviewers who gets worked up over the toiletries selection or the absence of ketchup, but this was a to be a special break after a difficult time for my wife and I and it wasn't as special as it could have been.
On arrival, even humble establishments generally welcome the guests. We were left standing whilst the receptionist stared at her computer to "try to find you a room" . We had booked half board but were told we had an "allowance" of £30 each toward a la carte dinner - the very good value set dinner being only available until 7 pm and the restaurant being fully booked with our reservation fixed at 8.15. We decided to use the pool or rather the spa. This included a fair sized pool, sauna, steam and salt? room with a gym and various rooms for the treatments that were available but we didn't try. This was all very pleasant though much of it so dark it was a bit hard to tell. The food was great and well presented. Staff were pleasant and trying hard but the organisation of the service seemed haphazard and crying out for a good maitre d. A hotel having a wine list of up to £450 a bottle should have staff who have a passing knowledge of the products.
I am trying hard to be fair, and would probably go back too but please drop the insidious included service charge and you never know, it might actually encourage staff to make just the bit more effort that the place needs to get to where it is aiming!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are undergoing refurbishment (June 13)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
The Kings Arms
#7 of 11 in Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
#8 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!