“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Doha, Qatar
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My Fiance and I recently booked 1 night at the hotel which was going to be our treat during a very hectic stay in the New Forest whilst we tried to find a house to buy. I have to admit that I have often passed by the hotel and promised myself that I would go one day - so here we were!
We paid around 300 pounds for the one night which included breakfast and evening meal allowance.
The room was lovely and no complaints there except we had to have every window wide open as the whole hotel was stiflingly hot!
We ventured down to the spa which was very dark and depressing and almost as soon as we got into the swimming pool we were asked to get out as there was a class about to take place.
We then got into the jacuzzi only to be told that we had to have it turned off as it would disturb the class!!!!!
We went to the evening meal and were far from impressed by the menu - I have never looked at a menu and not wanted anything on it!
The biggest complaint that I shall make is the droll of the music that was being piped loudly during dinner and breakfast - IT WAS DREADFUL........
The average age of the guests was around 70 - we were definitely the youngest. Whatever made the hotel think that we wanted to hear loud garage type repetetive music? What cloud are you on? In the absence of any decent music - leave us in silence at breakfast. I was wanting to do damage to the CD player by the time we left.
We had booked a few treatments but cancelled them and checked out early as we felt that the whole experience had been a big disappointment and very expensive.
Sorry to be so negative but this was our treat for our engagment and we left feeling quite let down

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, I really appreciate all comments negative or not.
From this I will be speaking with the team to discuss all the points that you have raised.
Many thanks again for taking the time to let us know your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Bristol, uk
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I booked for a 3 night stay on half board basis, but after the first night I changed my booking to B&B.

The menu was not good and my wife chose Cod with a crab & herb crust, which was not a crust but a soft "smear", the fish was not cooked so she left it. I pointed out this to head waiter and was offered a pot of coffee (which took 15 minutes to arrive, once I had chased him again).

The following morning we went to breakfast and found that not only was the bacon smoked, but the sausage, 1/2 mushroom and even the fried egg (to a minor degree) tasted of being smoked, neither of us like smoke food and it was not specified as such on the menu, so I sough out and complained to the restaurant manager. The 2nd morning the breakfast was well cooked, but on the 3rd morning it was all piled up in a mess of beans & the other contents of a "English" in the middle of the plate, the service was also terrible and I had to ask for our table to be cleared (others had similar poor service).

The room was OK, but the lights & 4 switches on either side of the bed had a will of their own, sometimes they worked other times they didn't?

I reported all of this to the reception and have since completed a complaint on Harbour Hotels website, specifying that I wanted a telephone response. Other than an automated reply and a subsequent reply (?) supposed to be from the manager but was a copy of the automated reply, I have heard nothing.

PS: the pub 2 minutes walk away had a brilliant Thai restaurant, which we used on 2 nights. a

2 Thank Gordon C
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for recent feedback, I really do appreciate all comments.
I will be liasing with our F&B director to ensure all Restaurant staff are given
more training to make sure that our normal high standards are maintained.
I do hope you will return in the furure, kind regards
Lyneham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Thank you for an awful weekend, a bed that was so bent it was a slide, a black and mouldy sink, the workman with their nailgun in the bar; the spa treatment with so much noise you couldnt hear yourself speak, the full english breakfast with half a mushroom; the restaurant where not one food order was correct; the strobe lighting in the retaurant that could bring on an epiletic fit; the lampshades that were so dirty someone had written the 'dust' in one - all for the princely sum of £320 per night! Oh and thank you for the measely reduction of the service charges and reflexology when we complained - we all came away more stressed than we had arrived!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Louise P
Thank you for your recent feedback, I really do value all comments.
They are very useful as a training tool for staff.
I will most definately be speaking with the House keeping team to ensure our usually high
cleaning standards are maintained.
The lighting issue has now been resloved.
I really do hope you will return again
Kind regards
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night as a treat before a flight and the room was fantastic and clean. Was welcomed with some chocolates and a lovely post card with my just new married name! loved that touch :-) the view was magical.
We have a meal in the hotel and it was amazing,very satisfying.Little pricey but worth every penny.
There was building work going on which the hotel apologized for but this didnt bother us.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your recent feed back, I will pass this on to all the staff.
SO glad you enjoyed the chocolates and many congratulations again
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Spent Easter at this hotel which is in a fantastic location with beautiful views. We took our near teenage children and, while it isn't obviously family friendly, the staff did all that they could to accommodate them and us. The ground floor rooms are large and French windows open to a terrace where you can sit, relax and look at that view. The food is delicious and the staff who work in the restaurant very friendly, particularly the restaurant manager from Berlin who couldn't have done more to make us feel comfortable. Afternoon tea fab. Throughout the whole stay it felt like we were having a treat. Despite there being a wedding party, there were still plenty of places to relax and the disco finished promptly at 11 meaning it didn't disturb. The spa treatments are good. The pool is quite modest in size and space to sit limited but it did the job. The young concierge also deserves a mention for being so helpful and considerate. Would consider returning.

Room Tip: Ground floor sea facing, close to the spa
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for recent feedback about your Easter stay with us. It was so nice to read that you all had a fantastic time and the staff made you feel at home and welcome.
We hope to see you again soon, kind regards
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here and this time was even better than the first time. The spa was excellent and the refurbished restaurant is oustanding. We opted to have the 7 course taster menu with wine. The food was amazing, the service was second to none and the sommelier made the whole evening even better with his relaxed but informative service throughout the meal. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and we will definitely be returning

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, it was great to read that you were returning for a second stay and enjoyed again the hotel and service.
We very much look forward to seeing you again
JH81
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We have just spent a night at the hotel & had an absolutely lovely time, the staff were all very friendly & helpful & the setting is stunning. We were upgraded to a wonderful room with amazing views of the harbour which made the whole experience really special! We had a meal in the jetty which was fantastic, I couldn't rate it highly enough, both the restaurant & hotel exceeded expectations & we can't wait to go back! Thank you

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your review, I have passed on your kind comments to the Staff. We are so pleased that we could make your stay with us so special.
We look forward to seeing again very soon, kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Lord Bute Hotel
Lord Bute Hotel
#3 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!