“Lovely hotel shame about the weather”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
“Lovely hotel shame about the weather”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my husband and I for a 2 day break after my father passed away. Unfortunately I was admitted to hospital myself for 5 days and had to cancel it at the very last minute. On contacting the hotel they first stated that we would lose our deposit as the cancellation was after the cut off time. However we were telephoned the next day and informed that as long as we rebooked there and then they would not charge us the cancellation fee. So we rebooked and eventually had our break two weeks ago.

The hotel was lovely. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. We had a Bronze Room on the second floor which had a slight view of the sea and of the Jetty restaurant. The room was smaller than a premier Inn room but was beautifully furnished and had a lovely bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was a lovely quality however, the pillows were a bit too soft. We did request additional ones but they never arrived.
Our dinner on the evening was absolutely fantastic. Desserts were to die for and cleverly had a cocktail that went with them at an additional cost, but well worth it. Service was excellent. Breakfast next morning was a disappointment. After the lovely food and excellent service the night before we were quite shocked with the food and service for breakfast. We hoped that this was a one off unfortunately the next morning it was even worse. I'm not saying the food was dreadful but certainly not up to the standard we had expected. The breakfast service was awful.
The hotel has a Spa attached to it. This was absolutely lovely. Places to relax, lovely pool, jacuzzi, steam room, salt room and sauna and gym. The treatments were reasonable cost. The spa is under ground so there are no windows so it does seem a little dark at first but you soon get used to it with the subtle lighting. Staff were lovely. We were hoping to spend a few hours in the Spa on the last day to relax before going home but unfortunately once you have checked out you can't use it. I suspect this is because they have Spa deal days as well as hotel guests so it would become too busy - shame.

Overall it was a lovely two days. The location is fantastic with lovely walks. Dont let the breakfast problem put you off booking as it may well have improved after guests feedback.

1 Thank Chickenbones
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we have taken all of your comments on-board and hope to welcome you back in the future. Kimd Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Northamptonshire
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had heard good things about this hotel so tried it for a one night stay when visiting family. The location is very nice overlooking the harbour but we could not make best use of it at this time of the year. Our room was on the fourth floor, it was small but well appointed. The light switches were a real challenge and we had to resort to taking the card out of the master switch to reset them every time we wanted to switch on the bedside lights. There were eight switches with no labels and some seemed to he two way - far too complicated. The bed was awful and we ended up with a very bad night trying to stop rolling out of bed as the edges were so soft.

The bathroom was also very compact but it looked very smart. The problem came in trying to use it. My wife could not get into the shower as the side of the bath is really high. I am nearly six foot and I had trouble getting in the shower.

The staff were mostly very friendly although some had little English. The restaurant dinner was very good and the wines good value. Breakfast was nothing special and the service was very slow.

Car parking is a real problem at times as hotel guests vie with spa visitors and restaurant diners for the few spaces.

Overall, given the room rates, this was not a good value stay. We got a better night's rest in a Premier Inn that was only a third of the cost. Watch out for the additional charges that they make for using credit cards!

2 Thank Stevew07
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay; we strive to provide all of our guests with the best experience possible and will be looking into all points raised. I hope that you return in the future, with the opening of our new Upper Deck Bar & Restaurant and a number of restyled bedrooms. Kind Regards,
guildford
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend away here. It is a really nice hotel to visit, however the service speed in the restaurant is really slow! The food was lovely and and nearly worth the wait. We ordered a sandwich at 4pm when the restaurant was dead, it took 30min the turn up. We ate dinner at 8.30pm, When we walked into the restaurant the first table we walked past someone else was complaining about a 35min wait for their starter. The food was good when it eventually turned up.
The only other complaint I would have is kids in the pool.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I'm sorry to read that you experienced a delay in recieving your food; I can assure you this is not our usual level of customer service and we will be looking into all points raised. In terms of children in the pool, we have allocated children's hours to ensure that all guests can enjoy the facilities. Kind Regards,
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My boyfriend brought me here as a birthday present and we found the location fantastic being right in front of the sea. We had a fantastic evening meal at the Jetty (see separate view) which is located right next to the hotel and if you love seafood and don't mind spending good money, we will highly recommend you to try the Jetty (rather than the restaurant in the hotel). We used the spa facilities, but found the wet area rather small compared with other spa hotels we have been to. Also, the ladies at the Spa were not the friendliest of bunch and we did not find them very warm or helpful. When we tried to book for a massage on a spot, they just said "You should have booked it before you arrived. We can't help you." As this was a surprise present from my boyfriend, of course we could not book it beforehand. Although we understood that they are busy at weekends, we would had expected them to be a little bit more helpful. As it was a week before the Xmas, there was a large Xmas party going on at the hotel and the music went on until midnight, hence we struggled to fall in sleep. We won't be back for the spa, but we may perhaps consider to come back in summer for sea and seafood at the Jetty.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Really nice hotel with warm friendly staff restaurant was nicely laid out with great views of the Mudeford Quay
Breakfasts very good although orange juice and milk in bottles is a bit fiddley
I'm not keen on these toast machines especially when they have to go through twice and queues forming
Overall a good experience and will revisit

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Birthday present from my other half. Lovely surprise. Lovely hotel with beautiful views over the harbour. Service was fantastic as was the spa and food. Went again for Easter and huge pot of chocolate mini eggs in room. Location perfect to walk along to muddeford and enjoy the sea. Would be there more often if funds permitted!

• Stayed October 2012
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I attended Christchurch Harbour Spa for an ESPA Pure Relaxation Spa Day which was bought for me as a birthday present. It was chosen for the 80 minute back massage & facial. We purchased a Harbour Spa Day for my husband, which included a 70 minute full body massage. It was our first visit here, and living in Bournemouth, it was local for us.

When I called to book the spa, I felt the woman was rather short and uninterested in taking the booking. This wasn't a very good first impression. She was very reluctant to send a confirmation to me in the post, insisting I provide an email adress for this, and that as a consequence I would receive marketing emails. She eventually agreed to send a confirmation letter in the post. My one recommendation would be to include the full postal adress on this letter, as I had to phone for the postcode on the way to the hotel.

We arrived at 11am and we could park easily in the car-park. We were met by a polite, helpful receptionist who talked us around the spa area, and provided us with a towel, robe & slippers. The spa factilites were nice & clean. The spa area itself is rather dark, perfect for inducing a relaxing experience. We experienced all of the facilites, except the gym. We didn't understand the benefits to the salt grotto though. The feature showers were a bit of a disapointment. There was limescale encrusted on the heads, and they lasted for a very short time. There was also a lack of mood lighting to them. Unfortunately we didn't have any sun to sit on a sun lounger on the decked terrace area. Whilst relaxing, the spa area felt rather small, and felt very busy with only approx. 10 people in it.

My back massage & facial was heavenly and I felt as though Hannah understood my needs perfectly. My husband however was kept waiting for 20 minutes beyond his appointment time.

Included in our experience we could chose either a two course lunch, or an afternoon tea. We opted for the lunch. My husband had crab on toast followed by sole (which they offered whole or filleted) and I had a pidgeon starter followed by a chicken dish. The service was slow, and the food was overall rather bland (except for the sole which was very tasty). There was a beautiful view of the harbour, perfectly located.

We would return again, as it was overall a relaxing experience, which was the whole purpose of our visit. There was a costume drying machine in the changing rooms, which left the costumes damp still. Would have been nice for the spa to provide a small plastic bag for the damp costume/trunks. I will have to remember to bring one for the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Just_Me27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Lord Bute Hotel
Lord Bute Hotel
#2 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!