“Weekend Break & Spa” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break & Spa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My boyfriend brought me here as a birthday present and we found the location fantastic being right in front of the sea. We had a fantastic evening meal at the Jetty (see separate view) which is located right next to the hotel and if you love seafood and don't mind spending good money, we will highly recommend you to try the Jetty (rather than the restaurant in the hotel). We used the spa facilities, but found the wet area rather small compared with other spa hotels we have been to. Also, the ladies at the Spa were not the friendliest of bunch and we did not find them very warm or helpful. When we tried to book for a massage on a spot, they just said "You should have booked it before you arrived. We can't help you." As this was a surprise present from my boyfriend, of course we could not book it beforehand. Although we understood that they are busy at weekends, we would had expected them to be a little bit more helpful. As it was a week before the Xmas, there was a large Xmas party going on at the hotel and the music went on until midnight, hence we struggled to fall in sleep. We won't be back for the spa, but we may perhaps consider to come back in summer for sea and seafood at the Jetty.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Really nice hotel with warm friendly staff restaurant was nicely laid out with great views of the Mudeford Quay
Breakfasts very good although orange juice and milk in bottles is a bit fiddley
I'm not keen on these toast machines especially when they have to go through twice and queues forming
Overall a good experience and will revisit

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Birthday present from my other half. Lovely surprise. Lovely hotel with beautiful views over the harbour. Service was fantastic as was the spa and food. Went again for Easter and huge pot of chocolate mini eggs in room. Location perfect to walk along to muddeford and enjoy the sea. Would be there more often if funds permitted!

• Stayed October 2012
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I attended Christchurch Harbour Spa for an ESPA Pure Relaxation Spa Day which was bought for me as a birthday present. It was chosen for the 80 minute back massage & facial. We purchased a Harbour Spa Day for my husband, which included a 70 minute full body massage. It was our first visit here, and living in Bournemouth, it was local for us.

When I called to book the spa, I felt the woman was rather short and uninterested in taking the booking. This wasn't a very good first impression. She was very reluctant to send a confirmation to me in the post, insisting I provide an email adress for this, and that as a consequence I would receive marketing emails. She eventually agreed to send a confirmation letter in the post. My one recommendation would be to include the full postal adress on this letter, as I had to phone for the postcode on the way to the hotel.

We arrived at 11am and we could park easily in the car-park. We were met by a polite, helpful receptionist who talked us around the spa area, and provided us with a towel, robe & slippers. The spa factilites were nice & clean. The spa area itself is rather dark, perfect for inducing a relaxing experience. We experienced all of the facilites, except the gym. We didn't understand the benefits to the salt grotto though. The feature showers were a bit of a disapointment. There was limescale encrusted on the heads, and they lasted for a very short time. There was also a lack of mood lighting to them. Unfortunately we didn't have any sun to sit on a sun lounger on the decked terrace area. Whilst relaxing, the spa area felt rather small, and felt very busy with only approx. 10 people in it.

My back massage & facial was heavenly and I felt as though Hannah understood my needs perfectly. My husband however was kept waiting for 20 minutes beyond his appointment time.

Included in our experience we could chose either a two course lunch, or an afternoon tea. We opted for the lunch. My husband had crab on toast followed by sole (which they offered whole or filleted) and I had a pidgeon starter followed by a chicken dish. The service was slow, and the food was overall rather bland (except for the sole which was very tasty). There was a beautiful view of the harbour, perfectly located.

We would return again, as it was overall a relaxing experience, which was the whole purpose of our visit. There was a costume drying machine in the changing rooms, which left the costumes damp still. Would have been nice for the spa to provide a small plastic bag for the damp costume/trunks. I will have to remember to bring one for the future.

1 Thank Just_Me27
oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had a silver room, quite small, a little too warm and stuffy. Bed small, pillows too soft but worst thing was the floor sloped so that you thought you would slide out of bed! Floorboards creaked really badly wherever you stood, as did the floor in corridor and rooms above. Need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to use controls over bath for shower and temperature. Damp patch on wall in corner next to window, iron burn mark on carpet. Cracked tiles in bathroom and big chip in bath.
Weddings on both evenings we stayed and the lounge area was not very big so no room to sit as taken up by wedding guests. The same applied to car park. One morning the room service assistant had a radio playing loud music while she worked while we tried to relax and read.
Breakfast mediocre, but service good. Staff were friendly.
Need to improve overall to be worthy of 4 stars.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank OxfordLola
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent break. I'm so sorry for any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay, we have taken on-board all of your comments and will be reviewing all points raised. With regards to the bedroom, we are currently investing in a number of our rooms, including the one that you stayed in, with added restyling too. I hope that you return in the future, Kind Regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my wife & 7 year old Son for Mothers day weekend. The intention was for my wife to visit the SPA, and for us all to have a relaxing weekend.

I booked a 'family' garden room (£300 per night) which was very nice and thoughtfully setup with proper bed for my son. Check-in staff were excellent and public areas of the hotel well presented.

Our room was located right next to the SPA which was also very convenient when wondering around in dressing gowns.
There was a wedding that evening at the hotel which did not initially impact on our evening, our evening meal in the restaurant was excellent, as was the service (from Amy?).

However, when we returned to our room at 9:45pm it transpired they converted the SPA relaxation room into the wedding function room - with noise passing straight through to our room almost next door. At 10pm a live band came on and the noise got even louder.
I asked to speak to the duty manager and was told that the music would stop at 11:30pm - we watched loud TV in our room until then (with a 7 year old) when indeed it stopped at 11:30 on the dot.

I did ask the duty manager why a family had been booked into a room next to the wedding party, but did not receive a response. I did receive a half baked apology but was not offered any discount on the £300 room.

Breakfast was very good, with excellent choice of continental / cooked / etc.

My wife was unable to get any treatments at the SPA as they were fully booked (i assume because of the wedding party) so she settled for a pedicure. Again this would have been good to know in advance or at least when checking in to have the best chance to secure something.

We did use the SPA pool which is very nice, and it's great they allow children to use it between 08:30-10:00 and 17:00 - 18:00. Many SPA hotels do not allow children and it's one of the reasons I booked the hotel.

If we would have stayed another weekend without a wedding I am sure i would have written a glowing review. However the stay was ruined by the poor handling of my complaint and no effort to compensate the ruined evening

Room Tip: If you are staying at the weekend - don't stay on the ground floor near the SPA!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GV5_UK
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa. I’m so sorry to read about the disruptions experienced during your stay; we do have additional, dedicated family rooms, so I hope that you return in the future. I am pleased that you enjoyed all other elements of your stay and hope to welcome you back. Kind Regards,
Warwick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night earlier this month. Weather wise was absolutely freezing and kept raining so we pretty much spent most of the time in the hotel room, lounge and restaurant!

The views out to sea would be fantastic during good weather.

The bedroom was very clean and comfortable, had a great night's sleep so the bed and pillows were comfy too.

The cocktails were excellent. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the service was very good too.

I would stay again if I was in that area. I prefer a more contemporary feel but the hotel was very tasteful in terms of decor and certainly very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a sea view
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you return in the near future, when the sun is shining, for cocktails on the terrace! Kind Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
Premier Inn Christchurch / Highcliffe Hotel
Lord Bute Hotel
Lord Bute Hotel
#2 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!