“Weekend break”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had a silver room, quite small, a little too warm and stuffy. Bed small, pillows too soft but worst thing was the floor sloped so that you thought you would slide out of bed! Floorboards creaked really badly wherever you stood, as did the floor in corridor and rooms above. Need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to use controls over bath for shower and temperature. Damp patch on wall in corner next to window, iron burn mark on carpet. Cracked tiles in bathroom and big chip in bath.
Weddings on both evenings we stayed and the lounge area was not very big so no room to sit as taken up by wedding guests. The same applied to car park. One morning the room service assistant had a radio playing loud music while she worked while we tried to relax and read.
Breakfast mediocre, but service good. Staff were friendly.
Need to improve overall to be worthy of 4 stars.

1  Thank OxfordLola
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent break. I'm so sorry for any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay, we have taken on-board all of your comments and will be reviewing all points raised. With regards to the bedroom, we are currently investing in a number of our rooms, including the one that you stayed in, with added restyling too. I hope that you return in the future, Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my wife & 7 year old Son for Mothers day weekend. The intention was for my wife to visit the SPA, and for us all to have a relaxing weekend.

I booked a 'family' garden room (£300 per night) which was very nice and thoughtfully setup with proper bed for my son. Check-in staff were excellent and public areas of the hotel well presented.

Our room was located right next to the SPA which was also very convenient when wondering around in dressing gowns.
There was a wedding that evening at the hotel which did not initially impact on our evening, our evening meal in the restaurant was excellent, as was the service (from Amy?).

However, when we returned to our room at 9:45pm it transpired they converted the SPA relaxation room into the wedding function room - with noise passing straight through to our room almost next door. At 10pm a live band came on and the noise got even louder.
I asked to speak to the duty manager and was told that the music would stop at 11:30pm - we watched loud TV in our room until then (with a 7 year old) when indeed it stopped at 11:30 on the dot.

I did ask the duty manager why a family had been booked into a room next to the wedding party, but did not receive a response. I did receive a half baked apology but was not offered any discount on the £300 room.

Breakfast was very good, with excellent choice of continental / cooked / etc.

My wife was unable to get any treatments at the SPA as they were fully booked (i assume because of the wedding party) so she settled for a pedicure. Again this would have been good to know in advance or at least when checking in to have the best chance to secure something.

We did use the SPA pool which is very nice, and it's great they allow children to use it between 08:30-10:00 and 17:00 - 18:00. Many SPA hotels do not allow children and it's one of the reasons I booked the hotel.

If we would have stayed another weekend without a wedding I am sure i would have written a glowing review. However the stay was ruined by the poor handling of my complaint and no effort to compensate the ruined evening

Room Tip: If you are staying at the weekend - don't stay on the ground floor near the SPA!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GV5_UK
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa. I’m so sorry to read about the disruptions experienced during your stay; we do have additional, dedicated family rooms, so I hope that you return in the future. I am pleased that you enjoyed all other elements of your stay and hope to welcome you back. Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night earlier this month. Weather wise was absolutely freezing and kept raining so we pretty much spent most of the time in the hotel room, lounge and restaurant!

The views out to sea would be fantastic during good weather.

The bedroom was very clean and comfortable, had a great night's sleep so the bed and pillows were comfy too.

The cocktails were excellent. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the service was very good too.

I would stay again if I was in that area. I prefer a more contemporary feel but the hotel was very tasteful in terms of decor and certainly very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a sea view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you return in the near future, when the sun is shining, for cocktails on the terrace! Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Overpriced, poor service, pretentious - don't bother. Booked for a wedding - they were difficult on the phone, room was average, breakfast was terrible and service poor. Staff arrogant and irritating, no space to park in their car park so had to pay £12 to leave our car at nearby Mudeford Quays

2  Thank 590Caroline590

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay, this does not reflect our usual standard of service. In particular, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the car parking situation, we would not usually direct our guests to park elsewhere and I am happy to refund the £12 – please email me directly at victoria.rose@harbourhotels.co.uk.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Relax with perfect views over Mudeford harbour. Good food. Good Spa facilities. Treat yourself to a body massage. We had pidgeon and lamb shanks for our lunch. Relaxed in the lounge area with coffee and read the daily paper. Then walk down to the Haven Inn and enjoy the view to the Isle of Wight. Take a ferry ride over to Mudeford spit. On a good day like we had, you would think you were in the Med. Bliss

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank for your recent review of a stay at our hotel, I think you've summarised it perfectly! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and made the most of our unique coastal location, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had a lovely day including gym , jacuzzi, sauna and massage it also included a light lunch in the hotel dining room. exceptionally good value as lunch was the from the main lunchtime menus, we ate pidgeon and lamb shanks all within the price, would recommend for a wonderfully relaxing day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

I'm so pleased to read that you enjoyed your spa day, a true escape from the outside world. Hope to welcome you back soon. Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed one night last autumn after an unfortunate choice the previous night and the Christchurch Harbour Hotel put us back in a good mood. Fabulous position overlooking the sea with gardens running down to the waters edge. Our room - 526 - was fine altho with a poorly designed bath /shower in the en suite. It worked fine as a shower but not as a bath! Service was excellent - even during a very busy breakfast service. Great place for a weekend break and brilliant for a Spring/Summer/Autumn wedding

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, we are delighted to have turned your weekend around and hope that you return in the near future. Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#8 of 11 in Christchurch
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
#12 of 67 in Bournemouth

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!