“Lovely long weekend at a great price”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely long weekend at a great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had booked it with a promotional offer including a dinner on the first night (up to £60). Also the hotel stay included usage of their spa and breakfast included.

At first, arriving at the hotel, I was unsure of the drab exterior as I envisioned it like the website, (with large windows and a well manicured landscape)..Slightly disappointed with the initial view of the exterior, which I quickly found out it was the backside of the hotel (the side that was facing the harbour was the beautiful side seen on the web site) we were greeted with a very pleasant and friendly host. She was organized, helpful in booking reservations for us and gave us suggestions for activities. As we settled into the hotel, we saw that the decor and space were actually really lovely and I had quickly forgotten about the drab back-side of the hotel. During breakfast a beautiful landscape can be seen in the dining area through the great big windows.

Room: Our room was a bit small but it was very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was very clean and modern. The light switches were a bit confusing as it had too many functions assigned to one switch (every press of the switch would allow different levels of brightness or night lights towards the bathroom, I stood there continually pressing the same button until I got the desired light situation).
Food: The dinner on the first night was great, wait staff was friendly and accommodating. I really liked how the restaurant allowed you to mix and match items from a la carte into the set menu, they were very flexible with choices and allowed you to order what you really wanted. For breakfast as well–if you fancied something that was not on the menu, you could ask for it, in my case an omelet. And a few moments later a delicious omelet arrived, just as I requested. I have never seen this kind of flexibility in any other hotel, it made me feel special and that my individual needs were cared for. Plus, The Jetty Restaurant is right next door, which offers fantastic views and food, we really enjoyed dinner there too.
Spa: The spa facilities were immaculate, modern and smelled very nice. Massage treatment and therapist were fantastic. My husband and I enjoyed using the spa everyday we were there. My only tiny wish was to have drinking water available in the spa space, instead of having to walk back into the locker room every time to get a drink of water after a sauna.

Overall we had a lovely time and experience at the hotel and would recommend to everyone, great for couples, friends, or families with children. It was busy even during the winter, so we knew the hotel was quite popular and great!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you would recommend us to everyone!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went for a wedding but came up the night before to have a bit of a romantic weekend. We were so happy with what we found - our room was lovely (with big soft dressing gowns to get to and from the spa) and the pool/sauna/jacuzzi was a great place for us meet up with the rest of the party and chill out. We went for dinner at the Jetty restaurant which was AMAZING! Really delicious food and staff were so attentive and friendly. That night we went for a walk and there were just hundreds of swans swimming on the sea outside the hotel. It was truly magical.
Yes, some say the place is a bit old-looking etc but that's part of the charm, we just loved it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review, I am so pleased to read that you arrived early and took the time to enjoy our hotel, its facilities and its stunning location here in Mudeford. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I love this hotel and have stayed here twice, it's a great location and very peaceful. The food is great and all staff were very polite and helpful. The attention to detail is lacking slightly, e.g. The bread had ran out at breakfast and also the side plates. On the first breakfast we had a full english which included one of everything (one bacon, one sausage etc), the second day there was two of everything including the bits we had asked to be left off. The restaurant is lovely and really elegantly decorated, the rooms are great and beds very comfy. The hotel is always hot so you won't need a jumper!. The only real problem we had both times was that the bill was wrong on check out and this seemed quite common from overseeing people check out before us. We were again charged for items we had paid for already despite double checking at the time that they wouldn't be on the bill so save receipts if you pay for drinks with friends etc when dining in as you'll need to prove it on the way out, this is obviously a systems error and not the staff. Despite this it was corrected and we had a great time,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted that you chose to return our hotel and that you had a great time. I’m sorry to read that the bill was incorrect on a couple of occasions, I can assure you that I will be reviewing and following up on this. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We booked a midweek 3 night break over the phone on a half board basis in mid January. Our room was very comfortable and kept very clean. We didn't have a sea view but hadn't booked one and to be honest the views from the public rooms are so good I'm not sure we missed not having one from our room. The only slight grumble about the room was that the wifi signal was quite weak in our room (406), perhaps the hotel need to invest in something with more bandwidth and some booster signalling equipment.

With it being January, there wasn't much going on in the local area but some very bracing walks and plenty of coffee shops in Christchurch and the Priory was very good to visit.

The food in the Hotel was excellent. The cooked breakfast was one of the best I have eaten, cooked to order with lovely ingredients and a good choice. Dinner was equally good, good lamb rump and rib eye steak, the desserts were a real highlight. Also they let us order a bottle of wine and then stored it for us to finish the next night, a really good service. I understand the head chef was on holiday and his number 2, Tim I think, was on duty. He did the hotel proud. Several restaurant staff gave excellent service: Jaoao (?) pronounced just as Joe, Dawn and Goshia.

The spa is good, gym a bit small -I guess it could get busy in school holidays and high season. However, it wasn't a problem the week we stayed.

Overall, a very good stay enhanced by attentive staff and good food - thank you!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stewart N
Victoria R, Guest Relations Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your break at our hotel, we appreciate all feedback and I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Nothing beats a bracing beach stroll and I’m pleased to read that you ventured out for some sea air.

I have noted your comment with regards to wifi signal - we are always looking to improve our IT, and do have boosters. As we are in a remote area of outstanding natural beauty, we are always looking at how we can enhance signal; unfortunately it does get busy at times of heavy traffic. Some guests prefer it as they can completely switch off!

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have stayed and dined at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel on other occasions but this time took the family for Sunday lunch. A great choice of starters from hot root vegetable soup to the tradition seafood cocktail. The main course was either a roast or two alternative fish dishes plus of course a vegetarian choice. I had the roast beef which has to be the best I have ever tasted. Others said the roast pork was equally as good. For afters go for the whisky bread and butter pudding.

Full mark for service, friendliness and excellent food.

Book as you may not get a table. Oh, the afternoon teas are equally as good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review lunch at our hotel, I’m delighted that you were impressed with the choices and that you enjoyed your meal. Look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind Regards
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here yesterday, room was lovely, views of harbour were breathtaking and food and drink was good value.

Took part in a wine tasting experience and our tutor was very knowledgeable, approachable and friendly.

Would definitely recommend this place and will be back!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review on this site, I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed the experience and our stunning location overlooking the harbour; I’m still taken aback by our views! Hope to welcome you back soon. Kind Regards
bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and i wanted a bit of pampering to shake the winter blues and we truly feel pampered.At dinner we were originally seated across from each other, within minutes without any instruction my unease was noticed and acted upon we then moved to a table a bit more private and next to each other which i much prefer,this tone continued through the meal the little things to us mattered to the manageress. ( a special thank you for your attentiveness). Breakfast had both cooked and continental and was a good standard , both meals were included in our package.
The spa was nice and we both had 55 mins treatments in our package thrown in, I have never done this sort of thing but 55 mins of pampering, it was good and i left happy - nice pool and hydro- loved neck massager.
We got a very good deal but the service was still of a high standard, very pleased and would happily pay a lot more for what we got and still be very satisfied.
Most of all we left feeling good, relaxed and smiling. We would recommend a very nice place to escape to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I’m delighted to read that we banished those winter blues with a relaxing break for you and your wife. We pride ourselves on providing a high standard of customer service and I’m pleased that this was recognised throughout your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Lord Bute Hotel
Lord Bute Hotel
#2 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!