“Family short break at October Half Term”

Druid House Guest House
Ranked #11 of 33 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Family short break at October Half Term”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Druit House - Excellent!
I am not used to staying in Guest Houses (infact this is our 1st time), I was in the travel industry and have been spoilt staying in very plush 5* hotels around the world. Staying at Druits was a pleasant surprise! I did panic when I saw it close to the road and the centre or Christchurch, but our room (Room 2) was quiet and over looked the garden and a park next door. It was a large room with a single bed and Kingsize bed, both very comfortable and cozy, spotless room and bathroom ( well whole hotel was!), fluffy bathrobes and towels, hair dryer ( found that the last day in the dressing table drawer) lots of storage space and tea/coffee making faclities. We spotted Laura Ashley lights that we have!! so not cheap and chearful in any way. Room 2 also had a large patio area with patio table and chairs... great for when the sun shines.

We have a 6 year old son and room 2 was ideal, Angela had swapped a room upon our confirmation to suit our needs and it really did. The baby monitor worked a treat, allowing our son to drift off to sleep when my husband and I popped to the bar area for a night cap - literally just downstairs, we could hear/ see who entered hotel or go up stairs.And the very squeaky bedroom door would have let us know if my son was up and trying to come downstairs.

This is a family run Guest House the family can be proud of. It was recommended by a smaller Guest House owner who could not fit a family of three in a room. Angela took our booking and was very proffesional and friendly - I understand she is poory at the moment and we wish her well and a full recovery. The Man or the house cooks the most amazing cooked Breakfast - along with maintaining the Guest House and manning the Bar - a very lovely man and gave us some good tips on walks etc. We did meet the son who was shy but very pleasant and they all obviously work very well as a team.

Our friends who we had gone to visit recommended Cheese and Alfie's for an early child friendly supper - it was excellent and just a 5 minute walk from Druits.

Thanks you we hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of hotel will be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Druid House was in perfect walking distance for our night out in Christchurch. The B&B was very homely with lovely decor and included everything you could need. The bed was huge and really comfortable. Everything was very clean and the bath towels were lovely, soft and clean. Breakfast was amazing, although the time could do with being a little later (it was between 8am and 9am) However, we did go down for breakfast at 8.55am which was fine. I can recommend the English breakfast but there is a very wide choice of food. You could actually have breakfast until 10am under room service but that would be another £5 per person, which was a little unreasonable I thought.
I do agree with the others that the man that answered the door wasn't the most confident of people and didn't really offer us any information until we asked questions but that wouldn't stop us from staying there again, he was friendly enough, just shy I think. The flight of stairs is very short to carry your bags up too and i'm sure if you ask, they would carry them up.

Room Tip: I can definitely recommend Room 2 with the private, outside balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jenny33_79
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in the Druid House for 3 nights as part of a two week trip. When we arrived we were shown to our room by an older gentleman who took one of our bags to the room for us, but then just handed over the key - we weren't told what time breakfast was served, or informed that the bar was unavilable (due to water damage) etc.
The room we stayed in (room 9 on the ground floor) was nice. It was comfortable, with plenty of storage space, apart from space to store large items of luggage. There was a door to the patio area, just a pity we didn't have nice weather to use it! The door to the room and the walls were very thin - we were woken on the Sunday morning by the person in the room next door having a long, and very loud phone conversation! Bathroom was clean.
Breakfast was lovely - good selection of cereals, fruit, yogurt etc. and range of cooked options. The young girl who served us in the morning was friendly.
We'd definitely stay in the Druid House again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

FROM THE WATFORD GIRLS ( :- )
----------------------------------------------------
**********************************************

Recently i stayed for a 2 night break with 3 other friends in September ....for starters the man that opened the door to greet us was not very welcoming and didnt even smile to greet us.

The wrought iron staircase was unstable and you should take note of that instability incase of an accident.

I would have liked the two rooms to have been together as there was no preferences and it was booked well in advance.

I would also like to point out to you that the bathroom towels (especially the bath sheet) was very heavy and it was not possible to dry oneself due to the fabric conditioner you must be using as they were too soft and inpractical.

On the plus side the brekky was excellent and overall everything else was really good ..we will book again to visit you and on a last note its a shame that the bar was shut due to a flood as we would have spent a considerable amount of money enjoying our drinks rather than give it to the Capt.Club Hotel lol...

Room Tip: If going in a group make sure you ask for rooms to be adjoining with shower and a bath.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maureen e
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I have recently returned from a 3 night stay at Druid House.

Upon arrival we were shown up to our room by a young gentleman who then went back down and brought up our cases (I know we were only staying 3 nights but I never travel light).

It was a beautiful room overlooking the local park, the room had its own mini lounge area which was nice.

Having never been to Christchurch before we did not know of anywhere to go to eat, but all we had to do was ask and we were directed to a pub called the ship (really great food).

On our final night we decided to stay and have a drink in the bar (unfortunatly it was closed due to some kind of water damage), however they said it was only the bar area closed and that they could get us our drinks and take them back to our room or sit in the conservetory.

I wish we could have stayed longer but they were fully booked.

We will be returning again.

London
Reviewed September 17, 2012

It appears that Angela, the b&b owner was away, hence on our arrival we were met by a guy (who didn't introduce himself) showed us into the lobby, got our keys and asked us to follow him up the stairs. We then struggled with our bags whilst making sure my elderly mother didn't fall and he didn't offer to help once. He just waited at the top of the stairs holding our room door open. A very cold and awkward welcome to an otherwise very nice bed and breakfast.......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I looked at the reviews on Tripadviser before booking this guest house which were overwhelmingly good. Imagine my disappointment then on entering the guest house. If swirly ceilings, decorative wrought iron, ceiling fans with lights and shiny brocade with sequins are your thing you will feel very comfortable here. We didn't! It was clean but that's the best I can say about it. I didn't even have a bedside table on my side of the bed..the car park at the front of the building is so cramped it is almost impossible to get in and out without scraping your car on the brick wall. Breakfast was adequate no more. Luckily we only needed it as a base and I think everyone else seemed to be more than happy, but we won't be going back!