“Great place in a lovely location!”

The Speech House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
“Great place in a lovely location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I booked this hotel from Secret Escapes as a surprise for my husbands' birthday and was not disappointed. The hotel is in the lovely Forest of Dean and the welcome is lovely.... the staff are so friendly and helpful. We were given room 6 which is up 2 flights of stairs - very steep! - so beware if you are not so good on your pins! However, the room was so lovely, it had a brilliant entrance area, lovely bedroom and a sitting room too! It was a mini suite really... so comfortable and quiet. The only thing was as it was high up in the building the windows were small and you didn't really have a view - however the room itself made up for that. We had a lovely meal in the orangery on the evening - being a Sunday night they put us in there rather than the dining room, it was great food all locally sourced produce - the wine list was fab and so reasonably priced! After a lovely nights sleep what could be better than a lovely breakfast cooked to perfection - and my favourite, smoked haddock and poached egg! Will definately be visiting again, superb location, lovely hotel - thanks to all at The Speech House!

Room Tip: As I said in my review, be wary if you are not good with steep stairs as there is no lift - see if t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear StephR3
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
We were all very pleased to read that you and your husband had a great stay with us and that you were warmly welcomed and cared for by our team.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team, they are always pleased to know they have been appreciated.
Yes indeed when they built the Speech House in 1669 they did not think of the angle of staircases, however our team always offer assistance with luggage.
The views on the top floor are slightly restricted due to the design of the windows however when outside you are at the very heart of the Royal Forest of Dean.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your food during your stay and especially the poached haddock.
We all look forward to your returning to stay with us and thank you once again for leaving such a great review.
Director/Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Just had the most wonderful meal here. Staff have just the right level of efficiency, friendliness and professionalism. The food was excellent, especially the salmon. Well done everyone, perfect evening for me and the other half.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear Nannyg_05
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit to us at The Speech House.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to our team.
I am delighted to read that you and your partner had a great evening and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best wishes,
Delft, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

A short break made the more so by the friendly and helpful staff. Early issues with the room were quickly and efficiently resolved satisfactorily.
Excellent service throughout the stay, both with the hotel front desk and the bar and restaurant staff.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Musteye,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you had a relaxing stay with us and that you were well cared for by our team during your stay.
Apologies for the minor issue with your room but am glad that we were able to remedy it speedily.
I have passed on your kind comments to all of our team.
We hope you will visit us again when in the area.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

What a perfect place to unwind. We came here on a deal and I can say it is one of the most relaxing places I have been to. All of the staff were friendly and made you feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We ate in the restaurant on both nights and the food was very good, my highlight was the breakfast which was delicious and I fact was so filling I couldn't eat anything else until evening dinner. We had cycle hire for a day which was booked in advance and everything ran seamlessly. It was a nice touch to be given a card with the picture of the Hotel on. We stayed in a room in the courtyard which was lovely. Will defiantly be returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in the courtyard in room 36, there is no internet connection here though but can be access...
Dear Daphned,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
It was good to learn that you had a very relaxing break when you stayed with us.
Thank you very much for your kind comments on the quality of our food during your stay and I am sure you worked off the calories when out cycling through the Forest.
I have passed your very gracious comments on to all of our team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Trowbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We have never stayed at a place where we have instantly relaxed and we do a lot of travel in the uk and abroad. Our room with the most magnificent wooden four poster took our breath away,I i sent a photo to our son from my phone,he lives on Singapore and would love the place as much as we did. The staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble.the food was superb,our only regret was that my husband was unwell in the evening and was unable to have the excellent dinner I had. For breakfast as they knew he had been unwell,they made such a fuss of him .we could find no faults and cannot wait to come back,we were only booked for one night so hope to be able to stay for longer.we would recommend anybody to stay here,young or old would love it

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms to suit all,the ones in the courtyard can cater for families.we would h...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Roamer Trowbridge,
Firstly I hope that your husband has made a full recovery and everything is back on an even keel.
I am delighted to read that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed the fantastic antique 4 poster bed. It is truly amazing and dates back to the 1830's (Not the mattress I hasten to add))
It was also very rewarding to read that our team had looked after you and helped you relax. I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team.
Thank you once again for leaving such a positive and gracious review and we all look forward to welcoming you both back to the Speech House soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

This was a length of service treat for my wife which we combined with our wedding anniversary. I am really pleased that I chose this hotel. We stayed in one of the four poster rooms with the help of a very friendly and professional receptionist. She was able to offer a very good package and we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. We found the staff very friendly and the atmosphere informal and relaxed. The food was very well presented and reasonably priced. We both felt very much at home. The building has charm and history in abundance. We would fully recommend this gem.

Room Tip: Four poster rooms 4 or 2.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Gary A,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you both had a terrific stay with us and that were well looked after by the team. I have passed on your very gracious comments to them.
It is always good to know we have met and exceeded our customers expectations.
The Speech House is indeed full of history being a former Hunting Lodge of Charles II situated in the heart of the Royal Forest of Dean.
Thanks again Gary for your very kind comments, we look forward to welcoming you both back to stay with us.
Monmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I pop up to the speech house with my wife quite regularly either for morning coffee and teacakes or for lunch, either a sandwich or a main meal. The staff are always friendly and polite and the food is always very good with a nice choice of specials, the atmosphere is pleasant and inviting and I would recommend it.

1 Thank JOHN J
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear John J,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on The Speech House.
I am delighted to read your very kind comments and that you visit us frequently.
My team do try to offer a high standard of customer care and they are always pleased to learn that they are appreciated.
I have passed on your very kind comments to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Director/Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Glewstone Court
#2 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye
De Vere Tortworth Estate
BEST WESTERN Royal George Hotel

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!